14526RE: RE: Re: Reading posts via Yahoo Website - attachments lost

  • somaspack
    Nov 18, 2013

      It's not the computers who are at fault, but the programmers. For a computer never did a thing it was not programmed to do.

      Scott

      ---In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <joshbensadon@...> wrote:

      Hi Bill & Herb,

      It's not a pain on my part to approve the photo's, I get an email with a link to the "pending photo's" and a few clicks later they are approved.  I would say the pain is having to make a folder and upload them, when it was easier to just attach to the email.  Imho, all these "modern" computers aren't any better than the vintage ones!  I'm sure a lot can be said about the subject of bloatware and the lack of "thoughtful/considerate" programming.

      This is not the only forum / board that is having "issues" with their system.  I vote we fire up our vintage computers and take back the internet!

      :) Josh

      ---In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <bill_rowe_ottawa@...> wrote:

      I reposted with the images as file attachments instead of inline pictures. I can see them online anyway. I also tried creating an album in photos and uploading them there but they have to be approved - this is understandable but seems painful.

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, bill rowe <bill_rowe_ottawa@...> wrote:

      > Herb: I'm probably a guilty party on this. It's so easy to use the hotmail insert but the results are often less than satisfactory. I have certainly gone looking for old material in the yahoo group and been disappointed by missing links and images. Even in my "sent messages" I sometimes have to go through hoops to see the images.
      > I sometimes post things on a wordpress blog(https://olduino.wordpress.com/) which is maybe a bit better for visibility but the longevity issue remains. I haven't used the yahoo site for photos because of perceived storage shortages but maybe that changed lately. That would probably be the best solution if it's easy to use. I'll look for my yahoo password and try reposting the last thing i did as an example.
      >
      > To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      > From: hjohnson@...
      > Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:55:30 -0800
      > Subject: [cosmacelf] Reading posts via Yahoo Website - attachments lost

      > I'm aware from prior experience, that almost no one reads Yahoo discussion groups like cosmacelf, via the groups.yahoo.com Web site - they simply get the email "feed". For various reasons I'm not discussing here, I don't take the emails, I use the Website.
      >
      > I call this out, because as I read various posts (on the Yahoo cosmacelf "conversations" page) lately, they say "see below" and refer to attached photos. However, these attached photos don't seem to be available. I know they exist because the "read source" option shows me the raw email message and references to various "blahblah.jpg" files. For some messages, there are attached photos and files shown in thumbnail;some (not all) can be accessed by mousing the thumbnail. For some messages - no thumbnails, no links to attachments.
      >
      > If this were just my problem, I'd not fuss. Except....say a year from now, someone new, reviews the Yahoo site and wants to pick up on a bit of prior work which was posted/emailed. They may not have access to attached objects (photos, text). So that work will be "lost" if the creator/poster can't be reached to provide it offline, or doesn't have that material around.
      >
      > The long-term loss of prior work is a problem in vintage computing. Most cosmacelf members become aware of that at some point. Certainly now-current work of interest and in discussion ought to be made more accessible for the long term, if not for next year's members.
      >
      > It's possible I've missed feature of use of the Web site/interface - if so my apologies but inform me and maybe others. If not, members who participate via email may want to log into the Web site to see if *all* their posted content is available and if not, consider work-arounds or find out how some members "get" their content "in" but why their attached content is not "taken". I have no idea - as I said, I don't work that way...imagine why? ;)
      >
      > Herb Johnson
      > retrotechnology.com

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic