14491RE: [cosmacelf] 23 and counting with much improved division

    Oct 11, 2013
      Thanks very much David.  I had not thought to look at that.

      I am currently experimenting with yet another division algorithm that is quicker for smaller operands but worse for larger numbers of bits(and negative numbers).  For the division in dhrystone the operands are generally both less than ten and this cuts the calculation down to under 100 instructions(!).  It's a bit cheat-y but the worst cases are under 450 instructions so I may leave this as the default algorithm.  It's a bit messy to read my code but the paper ref'd in the credits is clear. Interestingly, I did not try to leave any of the operands on the stack since they all change during the calculation but I note that your non-restoring algorithm does leave one on the stack even though it gets shifted.  I may see if that would help here.

      The multiplication algorithm follows and again it's at its best with small positive numbers which is pretty real-world friendly.  It's much simpler and shorter than the division but the source code link is given for reference:

      ;this is a divisor shifting algorithm which is faster for smaller operands
      ;credit to http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/70645/tr-2008-141.pdf
      _divu2: ;retval=regarg1(x or dividend)/regarg2(y or divisor)
      ;uses R14(rwork) as temp, R10 to hold remainder, R11 to save original divisor y0
      testsub: macro reg1,reg2 ;test subtraction of reg2 from reg1
      ;result in D, rwork.hi, DF
      glo reg2
      str sp
      glo reg1
      sm
      phi rwork
      ghi reg2
      str sp
      ghi reg1
      smb
      endm
      cpy2 R10,regarg1
      ld2z retval
      cpy2 R11,regarg2
      dec sp
      testsub regarg1,regarg2
      bnf $$computequot ;DF=0 means it didn't fit
      phi regarg1 ;regarg1=regarg1-regarg2
      ghi rwork
      plo regarg1
      $$again: ;this is the divisor doubling phase
        testsub regarg1,regarg2
        bnf $$computequot ;df=0 means it didn't fit
      phi regarg1 ;regarg1=regarg1-regarg2
      ghi rwork
      plo regarg1
        shl2 regarg2 ;y=y+y
        br $$again

       $$computequot: ;here we're computing the quotient
        testsub R10,regarg2
        bnf $$testexit
        phi R10 ;complete the subtraction
        ghi rwork
        plo R10
        inc retval
       $$testexit:
        ghi R11
        sm ;top of regarg2 is still on stack
        bnz $$ney0y
        glo regarg2
        str sp
        glo R11
        sm ;test low order bytes
        bz $$out ;if = we're done
       $$ney0y:
        shl2 retval ;double quotient
        shrU2 regarg2 ;halve divisor
        br $$computequot ;continue
       $$out:
        inc sp ;release work area
       ;here the quotient is in retval, remainder in R10
        cpy2 regarg2,R10
      cretn ;and we're done

      ;16 bit right shifting multiply which is faster for smaller operands
      ; credit to http://map.grauw.nl/articles/mult_div_shifts.php#lrmultr
      _mulU2: ;retval(product)=regarg1(multiplicand)*regarg2(multiplier)
      ld2z retval
      $$mulrlp:
      shru2 regarg2
      bnf $$mulrnoadd
      ; bottom bit of multiplier is one so add multiplicand to product
      alu2 retval,retval,regarg1,add,adc
      $$mulrnoadd:
      ghi regarg2 ;check for all bits of multiplier shifted out
      bnz $$mulrshft ;nope, continue
      glo regarg2 ;check bottom byte
      bz $$mulrdone
      $$mulrshft:
      shl2 regarg1 ;shift multiplicand left 1
      br $$mulrlp
      $$mulrdone: ;here the product is in retval
      cretn

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic