14483RE: Re: [cosmacelf] RE: Found Quest S100 Hardware

  • dougmemphis
    Oct 7, 2013

      Ah, I thought so. Haven't handled a Super Elf since then so couldn't be sure.

      I wanted to do analog music control with it back then but got demotivated with

      lack of file save and software literature to learn from.  An RCA VIP might have changed

      my life.

      Oh yes, the explosion of memory quantity gets to most of us early micro users!

      I've got a VIP with 2k, a TRS-80 model I with 4k, a PET with 16k, and lots of stuff

      with 64K and under!  It seems even excessive for the time to fill up an early Mac- just

      a few years down the pike from the sub 64K machines- with 1 to 4 MEGA bytes. :)

      ---In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <5c077a113y@...> wrote:

      Yep, I think you had to purchase the expansion board to get the cassette interface (and 4K? of RAM, a couple of S100 slots, and a serial interface).  It still seems strange to me that today we talk about giga-bytes of R/W memory.

      - Scott

      On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM, <touchetek@...> wrote:

      Ah, Quest Super Elf...
      Would like one too.  it was my first micro but did little with it cause

      I couldn't save programs...  I think?  Was there a cassette interface?

      I don't think so.

      There is a one on Ebay right  now, but its pretty "salty".

      ---In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, <5c077a113y@...> wrote:

      Couldn't resist contacting a group of COSMAC enthusiasts!

      Back in 1970's I had a Quest Super Elf.  (Time lapse of 35 years)  Digging around in the basement I found an S100 backplane and 2, S100 cards (True Blue Video, Dynamic RAM) from that system.  Also found some Quest Super Elf  documentation (partial, nothing for those cards however).  Could live without the S100 cards, but would like to own a Quest Super Elf "motherboard" again!

      Hope to put together a Membership Card in the near future, and to re-read those Quest newsletters!

      - Scott

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic