13786RE: [cosmacelf] Re: Book Review: Programmer's Guide to the 1802

  • Adam Trionfo
    May 2, 2013
      A mostly-accurate, or even, kinda-accurate OCR is fine... as long as it's not the ONLY way to read the text.  Having the original text is extremely important.  The internet is littered with scanned and OCRed tech manuals that don't have the original text and they are not worth reading.  They may be much smaller (kilobytes compared to many megabytes), but are not useful except as a way to tease the reader to get the "real thing."

      Tom, I know that you were offered the book as a pdf.  I also have a copy of it in the format.  A quite good one.  If you'd like me to send it to you let me know and I'll do that.  I'm out of town right now, so it would have to wait until I get home.

      Hmm.  Any 1802 user in Baltimore?  I've never seen an ELF before...

      Adam

      > To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      > From: mark@...
      > Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 16:08:14 +0000
      > Subject: [cosmacelf] Re: Book Review: Programmer's Guide to the 1802
      >
      > > Looking forward to the book being available. Well it be searchable? Adam
      >
      > Even if Mr. Swan simply scans the book, rather than printing the original digital file to a virtual PDF printer, the more recent versions of Adobe have gotten very good at OCR-ing the scanned text. It's not quite accurate enough for source listings, but for normal prose it's just fine. At that point, the document becomes searchable.
      > ~~
      > Mark Moulding

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional