13745Re: Getting started with FPGA for Vintage Projects

  • jdrose_8_bit
    Apr 28 7:30 PM
      Amazing. I know nothing about FPGA but I am becoming fascinated by it's flexibility. There is a fellow over at AtariAge who has, using FPGA, replicated nearly every classic video game console, seemingly at will, ever produced.

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "DougCrawford" <touchetek@...> wrote:

      > I had several vintage computer circuit projects in mind, and from a thread here I got turned on to LogicCircuit.org's tool for simulating logic. Great fun! I simulated a circuit with some 7400 logic and considered building it- both ways- discrete and programmable- as an exercise.
      >
      > To that end, I got a really inexpensive Altera MAXII programmable logic kit off Ebay:
      >
      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altera-MAX-II-EPM240-Core-Board-FPGA-CPLD-Development-Kits-JTAG-USB-Blaster-/330813186044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d06009ffc
      >
      > The MAXII is a very modest part suitable for replacing a good bit of standard logic. If you have no interest in learning a hardware description language, you can graphically stitch together 7400 logic from their library of parts. MAXII has 5V tolerant inputs (if you are careful) or you can make it more robust with external diode circuits. That's what I gather from an app note I looked through. I'm hopeful they will play well interfacing to old interfaces and buses. I'm open to suggestions regarding if this ISN'T a good choice for this use.
      >
      > I spent an evening getting "hello world" working with it- a momentary push button switch wired through the MAXII to an LED (its all on the breakout board, only two jumper wires are needed to complete the circuit).
      >
      > If there is interest here in my experience I would be willing to make a youtube tutorial. This is what I had to work through: installing their IDE tool, configuring it for the MAXII, drawing a schematic (a line from one input pad to an output pad), defining the pins that the pads use, configuring the input pin to have an internal pull-up, compiling, and downloading to the chip.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic