10920Re: Old eyes and new chips.

  • urrossum@att.net
    Aug 1, 2012
      >> If anybody is thinking of buying one, I'd recommend one of the new LED
      >> models instead. I have one, and it's much brighter, smaller and cooler than
      >> the fluorescent variety.

      > I tried one, and hated it. The light was uneven and causes lots of
      > reflections and glare, and the lens was plastic. But it may have been a
      > quality issue; typical cheap imported crap. I haven't had a chance to
      > try a better one.

      I'd definitely recommend a good one - the one I have (Jameco #2120330, http://tinyurl.com/chu4rk3 ) is really good - significantly better, in fact, than the big old classic Steelcase-type lamp it replaced. The LEDs are distributed around the perimeter and the lens is glass; there may be some glare, but only because the lights are so freakin' bright - it's not from the lens.

      At $129, it's a pretty reasonable price for what seems to be a good quality unit. I love mine.
      ~~
      Mark Moulding
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic