10906Old eyes and new chips.

    Aug 1, 2012
      me 3. I have one of those fluorescent circle magnifier lamps that i need now for *any* close work. The worst thing now is that I'll get a headache after 15 minutes of using it. I also have a 10 power loupe that i need for checking solder connections - especially surface mount. I did use a few surface mount chips on the olduino - the soic ones are not too bad at 1/20 inch pitch. I could, just barely have used a tqfp package for the avr - 1/40" pitch but i chickened out. I actually find the passive smd components tougher to solder just because they are so *darn* small. One resonator i tried to use had 3 pads, maybe a 1/2 mm apart and a little metal cap on top so you could burn yourself holding it or make a nice little solder bridge. I am on the lookout for a used electric frying pan so i can try my hand at reflowing.
      To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      From: leeahart@...
      Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:00:14 -0500
      Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Books and schematisc found

      On 7/31/2012 10:22 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

      > I've got that diminishing vision problem too...

      I have to live with it, too. That's why there is no surface mount in the

      Membership Card. I couldn't see to assemble it!

      Clamped to my workbench, I've got one of those circular fluorescent

      lights at the end of an articulated arm that has a big magnifying lens

      in the center. Without that, I'd be looking for another hobby.

      --

      Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong

      reasons. -- R. Buckminster Fuller

      --

      Lee A. Hart http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs leeahart@...