Round 1730 - FONGE: Definitions Up

  • Tony Abell
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      Apologies for the delay. Find below 18 definitions of FONGE, one of which comes
      from a dictionary. Vote for two by way of a public response to this message
      before the deadline, below. You may vote even if you did not submit a
      definition, but you may NOT vote if you are disqualified (see the rules in the
      file area of Coryphaeus Yahoogroups or the sticky messages at tapcis.com in The
      Parlor). The voting deadline shall be:

      Philadelphia: Wednesday, 2006-08-02 10:00pm
      Glasgow: Thursday, 2006-08-03 3:00am
      Oxnard, CA: Wednesday, 2006-08-02 7:00pm
      Baghdad: Thursday, 2006-08-03 6:00am
      Kamakura: Thursday, 2006-08-03 11:00am
      UTC: Thursday, 2006-08-03 02:00:00

      Good luck!

      1. Barb of feather used to make artificial fishing fly.

      2. A pipe-collar.

      3. [Scot.] A hearth.

      4. An Italian dance in two-four time.

      5. A condition in horses similar to but more advanced than thrush.

      6. _Heraldry._ beige [NF, ult. fm L. _fungus_ mushroom].

      7. [sl.] To bribe the police with counterfeit money.

      8. To manipulate or rearrange data in order to get the desired result.

      9. To obtain advantage by making outrageous or extravagant claims.

      10. [Law] The value of an item offered in barter for another item.

      11. Either of the endmost stones of an arch.

      12. _Nautical_ Pig iron used as permanent ballast.

      13. To divide into portions based on some predefined criteria.

      14. (Heraldry) A band passing from the upper sinister corner of an escutcheon
      to the lower dexter corner.

      15. [Scot.] To scorch; to toast.

      16. A fondu fork.

      17. Light-hearted; happy.

      18. To take; to receive. [Obs.]
    • Daniel B. Widdis
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        I'll take the Barrs def, #6 (John, if that's actually yours you really
        ARE easy to spot) and the indian giver #18.

        --
        Dan Widdis
      • Bill Hirst
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          I believe 2 and 8 are both correct. I also believe Space Aliens are
          working to elect Kerry.

          -Bill
        • Dodi Schultz
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            At least half a dozen of these are entirely believable.

            I'll pick, at random, #2 and #18.

            It's probably one of the other four.

            --Dodi
          • Judy Madnick
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
              << 11. Either of the endmost stones of an arch.

              << 14. (Heraldry) A band passing from the upper sinister corner of an escutcheon
              << to the lower dexter corner.

              Judy Madnick
              Albany, NY
            • bonnyjars
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                Tony

                #7 is a wonderful Marx Brothers type of idea and I'm always a sucker for heraldry so I'll have #14 too

                So #7 and #14 please

                JohnnyB

              • Paul Keating
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Ooh, I dunno, Dan. Looks to me more like a Keating def masquerading as a
                  Barrs def.

                  --
                  Paul Keating
                  The Hague

                • Dave Cunningham
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                    I kinda like 7 and 18 this time ...

                    Dave

                    --
                    Dave Cunningham
                  • mshefler
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                      I really like #7 and it seems to go with #10.

                      --
                      mshefler
                    • Christopher Carson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                        A nice selection of defs. I'll take 7 and 13 this go around.

                        Chris
                      • Paul Keating
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                          I vote for 9 and 15, which no-one else seems to like. I would have voted
                          for 7 because it made me laugh uproariously, but it has enough votes
                          already.

                          --
                          Paul Keating
                          The Hague

                        • Tim Lodge
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                            Tony

                            It's probably not 15 or 18, but I'll vote for them anyway.

                            -- Tim L
                          • Wayne Scott, M.D.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                              I love heraldry, but I'll go with my ancestors and take the 2 Scots, 3 and
                              15. I'm pretty sure neither is correct.

                              MacCurm

                              Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can
                              usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.
                              -Author Unknown

                            • Guerri Stevens
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                I vote for 7 and 10.

                                Guerri
                              • Toni Savage
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  3 and 18, please?
                                  3. [Scot.] A hearth.

                                  18. To take; to receive. [Obs.]

                                  -- Toni Savage

                                • nancyshepherdson
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                    I'll take 15 and 17, although I know none of them are right.

                                    Nancy
                                  • Chuck Emery
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                      Tony -

                                      A pretty disparate list. How about:

                                      4. An Italian dance in two-four time.

                                      and

                                      13. To divide into portions based on some predefined criteria.

                                      Thanks,

                                      Chuck

                                    • BobStone
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                        Wildly guessing - #8 and #11.

                                        -Bob

                                        --
                                        BobStone
                                      • Russ Heimerson
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                                          I'll toss my votes at #7 and #8, please.

                                          Russ