Rnd 1713-Xanthus Defs.

  • Wayne Scott, M.D.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      Here are 17 definitions for xanthus, one of which came from Webster's Unabridged, CD version.
      Please vote for 2 by replying to this message. Voting will close at 6 P.M. PDT, Saturday, June 3, 2005, which is probably 0200, 03June2006 Greenwich Summer Time.

      1. a Roman wine cup. [See illus.]

      2. malocclusion caused by habitual grinding of the teeth.

      3. a yellowish nodule behind the eye of a pig, frequently regarded as a delicacy.

      4. a very dark honey made with pollen from black and dark bule tulips.

      5. a crown made of fresh flowers.

      6. a type of fig, found mainly in warm climates.

      7. a tropical American tree having an irritating milky juice, a spiny trunk, and large woody seed capsules that split explosively when ripe.

      8. the type genus of the family Xancidae.

      9. a cuff or blow with the fist or hand.

      10. a fire-breathing land-snail - invented by Jose-Farmer, originating from the defensive 'smoke' of ink used by squid etc.

      11. a small yellow flower of the mint family.

      12. a flowering plant of the Heliocanthus family, usually with blue flowers.

      13. the forecourt or outer precinct of a Greek temple.

      14. a genus of Old World decorative annual plants which includes the Nasturtium_X. majus_and the Canary creeper_X. peregrinum.

      15. system of Chinese meditational exercises.

      16. the long, prehensile tongue of an insect, esp. a moth or butterfly.

      17. an inscribed stele, often memorial.

      Go to it gang!!

      Wayne

      Flattery is like chewing gum. Enjoy it, but don't swallow it.
      -Hank Ketchum

    • Bill Hirst
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
        6 and 17, because it adds to Twentythree. And that starts with a
        capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for POOL.

        -Rack'em up in River City.
      • Tim Lodge
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
          Wayne

          I'll go for the teeth grinding and the cuff:

          2 and 9 please.

          (But it's probably the fire-breathing land snail!)

          -- Tim L
        • Tim Bourne
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
            7 and 13, please

            Tim B
          • Toni Savage
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
              14 and 17...

              -- Toni Savage
            • bonnyjars
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
                Wayne

                #1 because of the smashing illustration
                and
                #8 because its obviously true and so opaque that it says absolutely nothing

                Cheers,

                JohnnyB

                All New Yahoo! Mail � Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
              • Guerri Stevens
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
                  I vote for 5 and 13.

                  You left out the illustration for number 1.

                  Guerri
                • Tony Abell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
                    I don't believe any of them, not even 14 and 17, which I'll vote for
                    anyway.
                  • Russ Heimerson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2006
                      I'll go for #8 and double it for #16, please.

                      Russ