ANN: Version 4.7.0

  • boar_gules
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2010
      One of the bugs left over from my Bordeaux adventure was a Vista-only beauty. I had installed the program under my own account, but my wife was also using the laptop, and when I woke it up, her session was active.

      I thought "What does it matter?" and tried to run Coryphæus without switching back to my own account. It did matter, of course, because it could not get access to the database files. Nothing daunted, I reinstalled, creating a fresh set of database files under my wife's account. That worked.

      But when I checked back on the game later, under my own account, I couldn't use the program because it was now pointing at my wife's files, which I wasn't allowed to look at.

      Which all went to show that Microsoft's advice about putting data files in subfolders of C:\Users\<user> is great -- if you are writing a word-processor, a spreadsheet, a project planner or a slide presenter. But actually quite a bad idea if your application, like Coryphæus, is so closely bound up with its database that the idea of running the program with no database available is just silly.

      The 4.7.0 install puts the database in a subfolder of C:\Users\All Users instead (which, confusingly, doesn't _really_ exist). It also sets appropriate permissions on the subfolder so that anyone who can run the program can also access the database.

      The upgrade install gives you the option of pointing at the old location. The old location will of course continue to work, as long as you don't do as I did, and try to run the program under an account different from the one that installed it.

      There is now explicit help (under Reference & Special Topics | Technical Notes) that tells you enough to override the defaults and exercise complete control over where the database is kept, if that is what you want.

      Do you need 4.7.0? If you have rushed to download 4.6.4 in the last week, then no. There is no new functionality in the application. If you have an earlier version, then yes: you might very well want the fixes to some small but nonetheless teeth-gnashing bugs in earlier versions:

      Fixed in 4.6.4: 144-146 149
      Fixed in 4.6.3: 138-140
      Fixed in 4.6.2: 126-127 130-133 137 141
      Fixed in 4.6.1: 088 113 118 121 123 135

      These are too many to describe in a message post, but in the Links section you will find instructions for logging on to bughost.com where you can browse bugs to your heart's content.