ANN: Alpha test, anyone (4.6)?

  • Paul Keating
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009
      Two users encountered major issues with 4.5 under Vista64. The symptoms were: doing almost anything caused doubling, tripling etc of rows in the scores table. And after that the application went unstable.

      I think this problem has been fixed, but the rewrite cut to the heart of the program and it is likely that a host of annoyances that were squashed long ago have resurfaced. Not to mention really bad new bugs.

      So if you are feeling brave, and you're prepared to give up the time, please download 4.6 and try it out with a past round. This version is not ready for prime time so please don't use it if you have to deal for real.

      If you get an untrapped exception (madExcept pops up) and it's not fatal (madExcept gives you the option to continue) then do not panic all at once. It may be helpful to press the button Show bug report to see what the error is (scroll to the bottom). You may look at it and say I knew that, and you can press Continue and carry on.

      I think I have fixed the Vista64 problem in the install (puts the database in an unexpected folder) but I have no way to test that.

      There is a new table (tiebreak.*)   in the database. This may very well cause problems.
    • Daniel B. Widdis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009

        I’ll deal a fake round here in a few.

        Thanks for taking the time and effort to fix software that only a handful of people use.  But you save that handful of people so much time!

        Dan

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009

          The install is still broken, I think.  I completely uninstalled/deleted my old application.  On a fresh install, it can’t find the new database.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009

            And apparently it doesn’t like the blank “distribution database” that worked with earlier versions.  So I’m stymied, without even being able to start up the program….

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2009
              << I'll deal a fake round here in a few.

              Maybe I'll wait to see how you make out. <G>

              << Thanks for taking the time and effort to fix software that only a
              << handful of
              << people use. But you save that handful of people so much
              << time!

              Agreed! Interesting mixed emotions: It's fun to use Cory, but I would just as soon come in second. LOL!

              Judy