Announcing Coryphæus version 4.4 - Vista compliant

  • Paul Keating
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2008
      I am happy, not to say relieved, to announce that three months of rather tedious and discouraging testing are at an end, and just in time for 2009, I am uploading Coryphæus version 4.4.

      Despite the modest version number increment, 4.2 to 4.4, this is the second major overhaul in less than two years. The original idea, when the 4.3 beta test version appeared, was that the released version could be made Vista compliant with a couple of tweaks here and there, added in the course of beta testing. Then those tweaks were put on hold for another minor release, 4.4. But in the end 4.4 turned out to be a total overhaul: new development environment, new compiler, new help system, new installer. In fact, new everything. It's clear now that I should have seen it coming: easy to be wise after the event.

      It's not just (!) a Vista program: installer and program both have been tested on Windows 2000, which is what I still use on my home system, and Windows XP, which I suspect is what the majority of players use. I haven't tested it on W9x/ME because I've never owned any of them, but in general anything that runs on W2K also runs on W9x/ME.

      This version 4.4 addresses the dozen or so bugs and enhancements that were still outstanding in 4.2. But its main claim to fame is that it is a Vista program, that nonetheless still works on older systems. The 4.0 What's New ruefully conceded that the program looked dated. Not any more.

      If you install 4.4 over an earlier 4.x release, your old data will be preserved, because the database has moved to a \data subdirectory (W2K, XP) or %userprofile%\Coryphæus4 (Vista). The old data files will remain. To continue with your customized message templates, use the included program TemplateViewer to copy your old templates to the new location. But don't simply overcopy any of the new database files, because some of the layouts and indexes have changed. If this is troublesome, send me the files and I will append your old data to new-spec files and send them back to you.

      Apart from these cosmetic issues, what else can you expect?
      • Completely reviewed help (that looks much improved even on boring old Windows 2000).
      • New, fancy, robust, and above all, useful error trapping, courtesy Mathias Rauen of madshi.net.
      That's about it, really. Not much to show for the work involved.