moving to Ile-Rousse. can I ask for some advice.

  • King Kong Sumo Starr
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I am writing to you to ask you all for some advice about Corsica.

      My wife just accepted an 8-hour a week teaching position at a local
      school in Ile-Rousse and we need to be moved in in about two weeks.
      Our issue is that everything online seems to be overpriced holiday
      homes that rent out weekly. Do any of you have any idea where we can
      find or look for an affordable apartment/studio/house that is ideally
      furnished - (although we can probably make do without)?

      Also, do any if you know if there is anywhere to get wifi access? or
      how hard is it to get an Internet connection hooked up at home?

      Finally, if there are better housing options in Calvi (or anywhere
      else nearby), would a commute from Calvi (or wherever else might be a
      good idea) to Ile-Rousse be doable? This wouldn't necessarily be an
      everyday thing - because she is only working 8 hours a week.

      Thanks in advance, and we both look forward to joining you on what
      looks like a wonderful place to live.

      Sincerely,

      Mark & Jessi
    • Sharp Robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007

        Dear Mark

        Whilst extremely envious of your wife (I shall clearly have to dust off my old teaching qualification) I can only answer your third question. It ought, year round, to be easy to commute from Calvi to Ile Rousse by train, but by car it would be pretty quick given that holiday traffic must fizzle out almost completely by the end of September.

        I don’t know of a clearing house re non-holiday property to rent in either Calvi or Ile Rousse, but maybe the mayor’s office or tourist office at the latter could help you.

        Mairie:  04 95 63 01 99  (fax)

        Office du tourisme:  04 95 60 24 74  or  04 95 60 04 35  (fax)

        You could find numbers for the same offices in Calvi via the internet

        Robert Sharp

        London

[...]

        This email has been scanned on behalf of NMSI for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

        If you want to help inspire the next generation of scientists, creators and inventors back NMSI's transformational new project, Inspired. More than a museum, Inspired will be a hothouse of invention and innovation, making science serious fun for all.

        It's your future: be Inspired

        Visit www.voteinspired.org.uk or text 'SMS Inspired' to 88833 for more information.

        This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
      • Sharp Robert
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007

          ……….. and as an afterthought, wooden bungalows are rentable at Camping Les Oliviers (at the top of the hill as you go east out of Ile Rousse) in season. The season will be over now, but there’s no harm in contacting them (form can be found at attached website) just in case they take ‘special cases’!

          http://campingoliviers.com/htfr/0001.htm

          Robert Sharp

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2007
            Hi Mark
            If you're looking at renting a place all year round or from Sep to
            June your best bet is to contact a local estate agent. Alternatively
            once you're here (I live in IR) word of mouth or the local newspaper
            called Corse-Matin are very useful too.
            I personally wouldn't advise commuting from Calvi to IR (especially
            in the summer). Near (5 to 10 mns drive) villages are Corbara, Santa
            Reparata or Monticello.
            Re. wifi/internet it's very easy if you live around IR to get
            broadband (called ADSL here). The France Telecom shop in IR can do
            that for you.
            Best of luck with everything.
            Anne

            --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "King Kong Sumo Starr"