Re: [corsicalista] I have to say thank you!

  • Shirley and Jeff white
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2007
      What is it that draws one to this island. I go to the web cams of
      Bastia....read the telephone directory, I am planning to go to that island, one
      day! I am caring for my terminally ill mother (cancer) so this will be an
      adventure we will do in the future. I live in Canberra ACT Australia, so to get
      there is a major expedition. Will do it though. My Corsican links are very
      interesting - they came to Corsica sometime after or during the French
      Revolution - two rellys were guillotined in Compeigne ( part of the Martyrs of
      Compeigne) I grew up with this story, and once I started the family search I
      checked out the story and it was true, AND two sistgers were in te 12 who were
      guillotined. Now, when they went to Corsica I dont know, but my GGfather was
      born in Bastia!
      How about that for a story! That is my facination. But with all my other other
      family searches, it is that exotic nature of Corsica that I love. Mindyou, the
      post about the handsome guys...well I could stand a few pieces of eye candy to
      continue the drag to the island!
      Shirley
      --- corsaprincess <corsaprincess@...> wrote:

      > Hey everybody, it's Rosie. I have to say thank you for the positive
      > feedback I received from that last post I sent. I appreciate how we
      > all share love for Corsica.
      >
      > Carol...thank you for understanding where I'm coming from!!! You
      > see? This is why I love this forum! Because we all have this in
      > common! We don't read each other's posts thinking we're crazy...we
      > agree with each other because we're crazy about Corsica! I love my
      > husband but he's part Italian...not Corsican. Though Italian
      > culture is similar to Corsican...he just doesn't understand why I'm
      > so in love with Corsica. He's like "But it's like Italian, what's
      > the big deal?" I'll tell you what the big deal is: Corsica is not
      > a popular island (when i tell people "I'm Cuban, Puerto Rican and
      > Corsican" they say "Cuban Puerto Rican and what??") but tell me why
      > is it that the few people that know about Corsica are completely in
      > love with it and have a passion for the island that no one else can
      > understand unless they share it?
      > Tell me why all of us on this forum click on every link sent to us
      > about Corsica just to learn a little more about it?
      > Why are these people fascinated with Corsica?
      > Because Corsica is different. Corsica has had a turbulent history.
      > Corsica fights for autonomy with the temperment of a Lion but is
      > beautiful, welcoming, and comforting like a kitten. Corsica
      > inspires love and curiousity to all that learn about it, and it
      > inspires modest pride to those of us who discover we have routes
      > there.
      > I know you all understand what I mean by saying all of this. If I
      > say this to a "non believer" (lol) they wouldn't understand. Last
      > time I checked I only had one head!!! LOL
      > Anyway, this post is to thank all of you. We all contribute
      > something great to this forum. Keep up the excellent work!
      >
      > Rosie Prudente
      > Middlesex, NJ USA

      Shirley and Jeff White
      Canberra A.C.T.
      SAYITIS ORIENTALS AND SIAMESE
      AND BI COLOURS
      CATTERY WEB SITE:
      "www.alphalink.com.au/~lookofau/"

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
      http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
    • Paul Boynton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17, 2007
        Well said Rosie, my wife and I have just returned from a two week holiday in
        Corsica, one week near Bonfiacio and one week in Cap Corse. This is our
        second holiday in Corsica and am already planning the next visit. All you
        say is true my wife and I have no connections with Corsica but feel so much
        at home there. We found the people great and those in Cap Corse really think
        that they are the true Corsicans......any comments from other list
        members??? Bought a couple of CDs of traditional Corsican music includung
        the Corsican National Athem. Everyone went glassy eyed when I mentioned this
        what a proud island.
        Can anyone recommend places on the West of the island, hotels, villages etc
        it is the only area we have not visited
        paul

        PS Why did so many Corsicans move to Costa Rica ?

        >From: "corsaprincess" <corsaprincess@...>
        >To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [corsicalista] I have to say thank you!
        >Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:57:36 -0000
        >
        >Hey everybody, it's Rosie. I have to say thank you for the positive
        >feedback I received from that last post I sent. I appreciate how we
        >all share love for Corsica.
        >
        >Carol...thank you for understanding where I'm coming from!!! You
        >see? This is why I love this forum! Because we all have this in
        >common! We don't read each other's posts thinking we're crazy...we
        >agree with each other because we're crazy about Corsica! I love my
        >husband but he's part Italian...not Corsican. Though Italian
        >culture is similar to Corsican...he just doesn't understand why I'm
        >so in love with Corsica. He's like "But it's like Italian, what's
        >the big deal?" I'll tell you what the big deal is: Corsica is not
        >a popular island (when i tell people "I'm Cuban, Puerto Rican and
        >Corsican" they say "Cuban Puerto Rican and what??") but tell me why
        >is it that the few people that know about Corsica are completely in
        >love with it and have a passion for the island that no one else can
        >understand unless they share it?
        >Tell me why all of us on this forum click on every link sent to us
        >about Corsica just to learn a little more about it?
        >Why are these people fascinated with Corsica?
        >Because Corsica is different. Corsica has had a turbulent history.
        >Corsica fights for autonomy with the temperment of a Lion but is
        >beautiful, welcoming, and comforting like a kitten. Corsica
        >inspires love and curiousity to all that learn about it, and it
        >inspires modest pride to those of us who discover we have routes
        >there.
        >I know you all understand what I mean by saying all of this. If I
        >say this to a "non believer" (lol) they wouldn't understand. Last
        >time I checked I only had one head!!! LOL
        >Anyway, this post is to thank all of you. We all contribute
        >something great to this forum. Keep up the excellent work!
        >
        >Rosie Prudente
        >Middlesex, NJ USA

      • Jacqueline Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
          Hi Paul,
          Glad you enjoyed your second trip to Corsica. Where did you go on
          your first trip? You asked for information about the West side of the
          island. Not quite sure where you are thinking about because you have
          Calvi NW, Porto West, Ajjaccio SW so your choice is wide open. I like
          Calvi for sitting watching the world go by with a glass of wine.
          There is so much activity there on the port with the coming and
          goings of all those beautiful yachts, you can sit for hours. L'ile
          Rousse for all those wonderful restaurants. L'escale, Grand Large,
          I'll dor, A Siesta, The Rubica and many more, then move on to Les
          Platanes for a night cap in the square - sheer bliss. Algajola for
          lunch at The Chariot. The trip up to Saint Antonnino has wonderful
          views of the bay.

          Can't wait to go back.
          So you will have to pick your area and then sit back and wait for all
          our replies.

          Jackie

          -- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Boynton" <BoyntonP@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > >understand unless they share it?
          > >Tell me why all of us on this forum click on every link sent to us
          > >about Corsica just to learn a little more about it?
          > >Why are these people fascinated with Corsica?
          > >Because Corsica is different. Corsica has had a turbulent history.
          > >Corsica fights for autonomy with the temperment of a Lion but is
          > >beautiful, welcoming, and comforting like a kitten. Corsica
          > >inspires love and curiousity to all that learn about it, and it
          > >inspires modest pride to those of us who discover we have routes
          > >there.
          > >I know you all understand what I mean by saying all of this. If I
          > >say this to a "non believer" (lol) they wouldn't understand. Last
          > >time I checked I only had one head!!! LOL
          > >Anyway, this post is to thank all of you. We all contribute
          > >something great to this forum. Keep up the excellent work!

        • John E Richardson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
            hi Paul,

            I would agree with Jackie that Calvi is a really lovely place to visit, if you haven't been already: fantastic seafood restaurants, lovely beaches, great historic interest with the citadel & closer to the mountains than you'd expect, given that it's on the coast. There are also direct flights there from the UK now (thomsonfly), and the airport is really close to the town, meaning little time wasted getting to/from your accommodation.

            But Calvi is on the north coast of course, so here are my recommendations for the West:
            I spent two weeks in Cargese, which was definitely the Corsican holiday I've enjoyed the most (I've been 5 times). It isn't the most 'Corsican' of places on the island (there is a long established Greek community & a large Greek Orthodox church) but it is beautiful, compact, friendly & a perfect place to take in long sunsets that you can enjoy on the west coast. From there we visited Porto & Piana as well as other smaller places in-land (Evisa, etc.)

            I've also spent two weeks in Propriano, which was lovely. The bay is absolutely beautiful, has some great walks at it's headlands, and we were well placed to explore as far south as Bonifacciu. Practically next door is the prehistoric site of Filitosa and Sartene is worth a look, especially if you're going in Easter, like we did, when they host the u Catenacciu procession. We also travelled from here to the Bavella needles & did a great days circular walk on the GR20.

            The West of Corsica is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the island - the mountains rise steeply from the sea, are covered in forests and criss crossed by crystal clear rivers and streams. It is streets ahead of the East and, I would even argue, the rugged maquis of the north & Cap Corse.

            Hope this helps you. Have fun!

            best
            John

            wrote:

> [...]
            > >understand unless they share it?
            > >Tell me why all of us on this forum click on every link sent to us
            > >about Corsica just to learn a little more about it?
            > >Why are these people fascinated with Corsica?
            > >Because Corsica is different. Corsica has had a turbulent history.
            > >Corsica fights for autonomy with the temperment of a Lion but is
            > >beautiful, welcoming, and comforting like a kitten. Corsica
            > >inspires love and curiousity to all that learn about it, and it
            > >inspires modest pride to those of us who discover we have routes
            > >there.
            > >I know you all understand what I mean by saying all of this. If I
            > >say this to a "non believer" (lol) they wouldn't understand. Last
            > >time I checked I only had one head!!! LOL
            > >Anyway, this post is to thank all of you. We all contribute
            > >something great to this forum. Keep up the excellent work!

          • corsicamaniac
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
              Hi

              My family and I (we are from Denmark) went to Corsica twice. This
              summer, we wanted to explore the west coast. I agree with whoever
              wrote that the west coast is by far the best part of Corsica, that is
              if your preference is nature rather than pony-riding, golf, tennis
              etc.

              We spent one week at Marina d'Arone a small apartment compound at
              Plage d'Arone "near" Piana (11 km winding road to the nearest shop!)
              and it was GREAT. The red cliffs, the sunsets, the lovely beach for
              swimming and snorkeling, the fine walks. Then we drove on south and
              stopped (too briefly) in Cargese, which looks fine as well. We stayed
              one night in Propriano - that was sufficient, nothing special about
              it, we thought, exept the surroundings. Then we took two nights in
              Sartene, which is great, because it has a real town-feel to it (not
              just a tourist-trap), nice café-life in the central square and nice
              authentic food to be got in some of the restaurants.

              Finally, we stayed for two days in Bonifacio, which is utterly
              expensive and crowded but worth it becaused of its weird and bizarre
              combination of medieval stronghold and upper-class yachting tourism.
              We stayed in hotel Santa Teresa, which is ridiculously overprized but
              boasts the most faboulous views of Sardinia, the sea, the lighthouse
              at the southmost tip of Corsica and all the small and large vessels
              navigating the strait.

              Next time, we want to go in May...to watch the maquis in flower.

              kind regards
              Tine