Seeking advice for a first time visit

  • polynesia2604
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 20, 2006
      Hello to the good people that read this!

      We are travelling to Corsica for the first time between 4 and 15
      September.

      We dont have a lot of money and really need to make sure we plan our
      trip carefully - the guidebooks are not much help as they put such a
      positive spin on everything.

      We are seeking:
      - to avoid crowds
      - to camp in beautiful places
      - to see remote villages in the mountains
      - to experience traditional culture and hospitality (if that still
      exists)
      - to experience wilderness
      - to not spend all our time travelling around

      Can someone please advise us? What would be the regions to focus on?
      Also, do we need to hire a car? What should we budget on spending
      for our trip??

      THANK YOU! Happy to offer some inside advice on anyone coming to
      South Africa!!!

      Love from Ross and Justine
      Cape Town, South Africa
    • paolo69m
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 21, 2006
        Hi!!
        no problem with crowds!! a part -perhaps- Bastia and Ajaccio, no
        problem of traffic jam!!
        If you like trekking, the "GR 20" trek is a wild trek in the
        mountain from Calenzana (near Calvi) to Conca (near Portovecchio)but
        all the other trek in the regional park of Corse are rather wild:
        just few and little villages to cross..
        Free camping is not allowed... pay attention..
        Local cooking is genuin, I Know that at Corte there is a typical
        reataurant: it's nearly on the top of the village, you recognize it
        because outside there are several "adesivi?" of the Routard. But you
        often can find simple but good food.
        The railway from Bastia to Ajaccio is very pictoresque.
        Bavella is a touristic but nice place.
        Roccapina is a very beautiful beach.
        Near Porto, several treks, near the river.
        Restonica: wild valley with place where to swim in the river.
        Anyway, Corsica is all beautiful (a part east coast) you can't be
        wrong.
        Good travel!

        paolo
      • alan_stapleton
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 21, 2006
          Ross/Justine

          You could consider the South of the Island, Sartene is an unspoilt
          town with good access to a wild turquoise coastline and the inland
          region of Alta Rocca. Culture is everywhere in magnificent diverse
          landscapes that are the nearest you will find to wilderness in
          Western Europe. I am also interested in finding a way of
          enjoying cultural tourism away from the crowds without hiring a car;
          this is a lot more complicated but something this group ought to be
          able to help promote. Keep us posted, this is an important topic!

          Alan

          --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "polynesia2604" <rossf@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello to the good people that read this!
          >
          > We are travelling to Corsica for the first time between 4 and 15
          > September.
          >
          > We dont have a lot of money and really need to make sure we plan
          our
          > trip carefully - the guidebooks are not much help as they put such
          > positive spin on everything.
          >
          > We are seeking:
          > - to avoid crowds
          > - to camp in beautiful places
          > - to see remote villages in the mountains
          > - to experience traditional culture and hospitality (if that still
          > exists)
          > - to experience wilderness
          > - to not spend all our time travelling around
          >
          > Can someone please advise us? What would be the regions to focus
          on?
          > Also, do we need to hire a car? What should we budget on spending
          > for our trip??
          >
          > THANK YOU! Happy to offer some inside advice on anyone coming to
          > South Africa!!!
          >
          > Love from Ross and Justine
          > Cape Town, South Africa

        • John E Richardson
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 21, 2006
            I agree with the suggestions given so far.
            It is difficult to make specific recommendations, given that you didn't mention which part of the island you're staying. I assume that this means you haven't made a firm decision yet.
            First, as Paolo said, crowds are not a problem at all in September, apart from in Ajaccio and Bastia, which are still pretty difficult to get across if you're driving.

            Calvi is a brilliant coastal town that I would definitely recommend. It's got great views, a great citadel, great food & people. It is also on the trainline, if you're planning to save money by not hiring a car.
            I would recommend you go walking to truly experience the island. You miss so much of the feel of the island - especially its aroma - if you try to do too much, or charge around in the car all the time.

            Corte (also on the train line) should be on the list of anyone who visits, and there is more than enought to occupy you for a few days here, especially if you walk. There are a number of great walks starting here, or near here. It is also useful to get a handle on Corsican culture. If you want to visit a village where Corsican is still spoken as the first language I would also recommend you spend a night in Bocognano (also on the train line!). There are some good walks that start here, and there is also a great auberge that served great boar ravioli when I went.
            If you're staying in the south, then I would suggest you stop in Propiano rather than Sartene. It's got a little more life & doesn't feel quite so austere - though you are still near enough to visit Sartene. And, if you want a great day trip from Propriano, then you couldn't do much better than Bonifacio, whose cliffs are possibly the most photographed place on the island.

            all the best
            John

          • Sharp Robert
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 21, 2006
              As ever I would recommend for anyone visiting the island, but especially
              for anyone visiting for the first time, to have IN ADVANCE a good map of
              the island - so you know where all these places are that are being
              talked of so highly - and a good guide book so you can identify in those
              areas specific beaches, walks, restaurants etc which complement your own
              set of 'likes'.

              If you stay on the line of the train Calvi (Camping Bella Vista), Ile
              Rousse (Camping Les Oliviers), Ponte Leccia (near to the Asco Gorge),
              Corte (the Restonica or Tavignano valleys are a must) and Vizzavona
              (great forests) are all easily accessible and collectively offer beach
              resorts, river swimming, forest walks and 'Corsican-ness'.

              Robert Sharp
              London

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              This email has been scanned on behalf of NMSI for all viruses by the
              MessageLabs Email Security System.

              This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
            • Tonio Berlingeri
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                Hi Paolo! What is the matter with the east coast? Plase let me know, thank
                you. Lali

                >From: "paolo69m" <paolo69m@...>
                >To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [corsicalista] Re: Seeking advice for a first time visit
                >Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:19:23 -0000
                >

                >Hi!!
                >no problem with crowds!! a part -perhaps- Bastia and Ajaccio, no
                >problem of traffic jam!!
                >If you like trekking, the "GR 20" trek is a wild trek in the
                >mountain from Calenzana (near Calvi) to Conca (near Portovecchio)but
                >all the other trek in the regional park of Corse are rather wild:
                >just few and little villages to cross..
                >Free camping is not allowed... pay attention..
                >Local cooking is genuin, I Know that at Corte there is a typical
                >reataurant: it's nearly on the top of the village, you recognize it
                >because outside there are several "adesivi?" of the Routard. But you
                >often can find simple but good food.
                >The railway from Bastia to Ajaccio is very pictoresque.
                >Bavella is a touristic but nice place.
                >Roccapina is a very beautiful beach.
                >Near Porto, several treks, near the river.
                >Restonica: wild valley with place where to swim in the river.
                >Anyway, Corsica is all beautiful (a part east coast) you can't be
                >wrong.
                >Good travel!
                >

                > paolo
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ryden John
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006

                  Try this site – if your French isn’t upto it at least the photos help you work out where to go.

                  http://paglia.orba.free.fr/paglia/paglia1.htm?b

                  I’d say follow one of the Mare – mare (sea to sea) walks. They mix good walking with hill villages.

                  Cheers

                  John

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                    Hello Ross and Justine,

                    I would recommend that you pick up the Rother Walking Guide to Corsica in English
                    (www.rother.de). It has a very comprehensive list of excellent walks throughout the island.
                    Ibought my copy in L'lle Rousse for 14 euros.

                    There is a beautiful beach that continues along some fabulous coastline walks at Ostriconi.
                    Turn at the campgrounds and park along the road above the beach. You will need to
                    climb down the cliff to the beach along one of the clear paths. The water can be rough so
                    be careful swimming. The restaurant at the campground is reasonable and provides a nice
                    finish to a day of swimming and walking.

                    Have a wonderful visit. Wish I could be there now!

                    Richard
                    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

                    --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "polynesia2604" <rossf@...> wrote:

                    > Hello to the good people that read this!
                    >
                    > We are travelling to Corsica for the first time between 4 and 15
                    > September.
                    >
                    > We dont have a lot of money and really need to make sure we plan our
                    > trip carefully - the guidebooks are not much help as they put such a
                    > positive spin on everything.
                    >
                    > We are seeking:
                    > - to avoid crowds
                    > - to camp in beautiful places
                    > - to see remote villages in the mountains
                    > - to experience traditional culture and hospitality (if that still
                    > exists)
                    > - to experience wilderness
                    > - to not spend all our time travelling around
                    >
                    > Can someone please advise us? What would be the regions to focus on?
                    > Also, do we need to hire a car? What should we budget on spending
                    > for our trip??
                    >
                    > THANK YOU! Happy to offer some inside advice on anyone coming to
                    > South Africa!!!
                    >
                    > Love from Ross and Justine
                    > Cape Town, South Africa

                  • Ross Frylinck
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                      Thanks Robert, greatly appreciated

                      are you suggesting that its not necessary to hire because the train is sufficient?

                      Ross

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006

                        Ross

                        Well, the train line is certainly limiting but spectacular.  Essentially, I’m saying that once you’ve got a map and a guide book and decided that many of the types of place you want to visit (and you have less than 2 weeks) lie along the line of the train, then that route should be sufficient to accommodate you.  There are good camp sites a couple of miles up the Asco Gorge and the Restonica Valley (Camping Tuani) so where to stay should not be a problem, although you need to go a little further past the latter (i.e. away from Ponte Leccia) to enjoy the Asco river. This would be a good ‘starter’ if you want to travel cheaply, and what you learn from this first trip you can expand upon the next time you visit .... when you’re richer!

                        Car hire is not particularly cheap, even via the best Corsica website (http://www.corsica-isula.com/ ) so it’s important to decide what you want to do in advance. What you could also do, of course, is travel by train from Calvi, stopping at Ile Rousse, Ponte Leccia and Corte, before hiring a car for 3-5 days to explore the south of the island.

                        Robert

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 23, 2006

                          Ross

                          Sorry, in my reply I should have said ‘past the former’ (i.e. camp site) rather than ‘past the latter’.

                          Robert

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 23, 2006
                            Thanks Robert - I got both emails. Think we will train for a few days and then hire a car... much appreciated!

                            Ross

                            My reply below makes no sense without the reply I sent a few minutes earlier (which contained an error). I hope it didn’t go astray but can be posted shortly.

                            Many thanks.

                            Robert

                            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
[...]

                          • Nigel Cooper
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 24, 2006
                              I've just picked up on this thread of the first time 'musts' and endorse
                              the train. It is magnificent, but prone to being canceled for
                              engineering works on the line as we found when bounced on to the bus for
                              the majority of the journey in May this year. Although subsequently
                              running during summer I am told by SNCF the service will stop again 15
                              Sept. They didnt say for how long...
                              Does anyone have access to posted information?
                              Nigel

                              Somerset,
                            • Sharp Robert
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 24, 2006
                                I don't know anything about posted info on train availability but
                                someone recently posted details of a very thorough site and timetable
                                for buses around the island. You could certainly get around much more of
                                the island by bus - they go to all the main towns (e.g. across north
                                coast to St. Florent, or down east coast) - but even with the help of
                                such a site it might take quite a bit of planning in advance ---- unless
                                Ross & Justine are used to arranging things 'on the hoof'.

                                Robert Sharp
                                London

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 24, 2006
                                  Thanks Nigel - think we will train it!

                                  Ross

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 25, 2006
                                    I think the site Robert is referring to is
                                    http://www.corsicabus.org It contains both bus and up-to-date
                                    train information. I will put it on Corsica Lista's links page.

                                    Mac

                                    --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "Sharp Robert" <r.sharp@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > I don't know anything about posted info on train availability but
                                    > someone recently posted details of a very thorough site and
                                    timetable
                                    > for buses around the island. You could certainly get around much
                                    more of
                                    > the island by bus - they go to all the main towns (e.g. across
                                    north
                                    > coast to St. Florent, or down east coast) - but even with the help
                                    of
                                    > such a site it might take quite a bit of planning in advance ----
                                    unless
                                    > Ross & Justine are used to arranging things 'on the hoof'.
                                    >
                                    > Robert Sharp
                                    > London

                                    ___
                                    > This email has been scanned on behalf of NMSI for all viruses by
                                    the
                                    > MessageLabs Email Security System.
                                    >

                                    > This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee
                                    only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error
                                    please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your
                                    computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this
                                    message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the
                                    views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has
                                    been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security
                                    System.

                                  • Paolo Gino
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
                                      nothing special with east coast, but it's rather flat, moschitos, not at all wild.. that's what i think!

                                      Tonio Berlingeri <corsupr@...> ha scritto:
                                      Hi Paolo! What is the matter with the east coast? Plase let me know, thank
                                      you. Lali

                                      >From: "paolo69m" <paolo69m@yahoo. it>
                                      >To: corsicalista@ yahoogroups. com
                                      >Subject: [corsicalista] Re: Seeking advice for a first time visit
                                      >Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:19:23 -0000
                                      >

                                      >Hi!!
                                      >no problem with crowds!! a part -perhaps- Bastia and Ajaccio, no
                                      >problem of traffic jam!!
                                      >If you like trekking, the "GR 20" trek is a wild trek in the
                                      >mountain from Calenzana (near Calvi) to Conca (near Portovecchio) but
                                      >all the other trek in the regional park of Corse are rather wild:
                                      >just few and little villages to cross..
                                      >Free camping is not allowed... pay attention..
                                      >Local cooking is genuin, I Know that at Corte there is a typical
                                      >reataurant: it's nearly on the top of the village, you recognize it
                                      >because outside there are several "adesivi?" of the Routard. But you
                                      >often can find simple but good food.
                                      >The railway from Bastia to Ajaccio is very pictoresque.
                                      >Bavella is a touristic but nice place.
                                      >Roccapina is a very beautiful beach.
                                      >Near Porto, several treks, near the river.
                                      >Restonica: wild valley with place where to swim in the river.
                                      >Anyway, Corsica is all beautiful (a part east coast) you can't be
                                      >wrong.
                                      >Good travel!
                                      >

                                      > paolo
                                      >

                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      http://messenger. msn.click- url.com/go/ onm00200471ave/ direct/01/

                                      Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi, antispam, antivirus, POP3

                                    • pheme33
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 12, 2006
                                        wrote:

                                        > Hello to the good people that read this!
                                        >
                                        > We are travelling to Corsica for the first time between 4 and 15
                                        > September.
                                        >
                                        > We dont have a lot of money and really need to make sure we plan
                                        our
                                        > trip carefully - the guidebooks are not much help as they put such
                                        > positive spin on everything.
                                        >
                                        > We are seeking:
                                        > - to avoid crowds
                                        > - to camp in beautiful places
                                        > - to see remote villages in the mountains
                                        > - to experience traditional culture and hospitality (if that still
                                        > exists)
                                        > - to experience wilderness
                                        > - to not spend all our time travelling around
                                        >
                                        > Can someone please advise us? What would be the regions to focus
                                        on?
                                        > Also, do we need to hire a car? What should we budget on spending
                                        > for our trip??
                                        >
                                        > THANK YOU! Happy to offer some inside advice on anyone coming to
                                        > South Africa!!!
                                        >
                                        > Love from Ross and Justine
                                        > Cape Town, South Africa

                                        hello Ross and Justine,

                                        Corsica is fantastic.

                                        I know the island very well for various reason.

                                        As you are going now you shall find some fabulous beaches and you
                                        shall be alone on it.

                                        Fabulous villages are all over.
                                        San Antonino
                                        Vivario
                                        Venacu
                                        San Piedro di Venacu

                                        Anisantu

                                        You have to see la Scala di Santa Regina
                                        Defile de L'Inseca ( spelling?)
                                        Les gorges du Nilo near Corte, and also visit Corte.

                                        When you are in villages ask people the old folks they always know
                                        someone who wishes to rent a room for the night.

                                        The Corsican are still hospitable like always.
                                        Go to the local little cafe, they shall tell you where to find the
                                        real culture.

                                        This is an island that is still the same since ages.

                                        I hope it helps.
                                        Do not hesitate to contact me for more.

                                        Tata
                                        Pheme
                                      • Paul Boynton
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 13, 2006
                                          Ross and Justine
                                          We visited Corsica for the first time last year and intend to visit it next
                                          year it is that good. I suspect that everyone on the list have their
                                          favourite parts. We stayed in the south for a week outside Porto Vecchio and
                                          then a week in Corte. Inland from Porte Vecchio around Ospendale is
                                          beautiful and if you take one of the many path in to mountains you will be
                                          rewarded with fantastic views and very few people. Corte is great to find
                                          the culture of Corsica and the museum at the castle is well worth a visit to
                                          learn how Corsica evolved. The people are great if you respect the island,
                                          try a little frwnch and ask their advice. In Corte the areas around the
                                          Gorges de la Restonica are well worth a visit. Bonifacio, although busy is
                                          well worth a visit just to see the cliff top houses but if you leave the
                                          town and walk the coast path either side you will soon leave the crowds
                                          behind and find some deserted beaches. I'm sure other people can tell you
                                          about the west of the island and the Cap Corse area which we hope to visit
                                          next year. Around Corsica there are Auberge's which provide real Corsican
                                          hospitality which home cooked food, look on the web site and you will see
                                          their locations. The only recommendation I would make is try not to do too
                                          much although the distances are short the roads are not fast and we found it
                                          took twice as long to get anywhere mind you the views from the roads are
                                          great and the temptation to stop at every corner to admire the view or walk
                                          down to a river is very strong. If you intend to go to Corte or the Porte
                                          Vecchio region send me an email and I will give you more details

                                          have a good holiday