Re: [corsicalista] Hi from Kirsten

  • Maria Vincenti
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2005
      Isabelle: Hi! My husband and I are an example of the thousands of
      descendants of the Corsican diaspora all over the world; as well as my
      husband, we were born and raised in America, not in USA but in one of the
      West Indies, Puerto Rico, who belongs to the USA since 1898 and before that
      was a Spanish colony who was ceded to USA at the end of the Hispano-American
      war as a war booty. In 1983 we went to Corsica looking for our families
      and as it has happened to so many of us it seems the Island has cast a spell
      over us. Since 1983 we have never missed Corsica one year, the first three
      years we went once a year, after that we began to go in Spring and Summer.
      We learned to speak French, we managed to restore the family relations as
      well as the family home, a five hundred years stone house which was a ruin.
      For the following ten years we have been going four times a year, each and
      every season; finally last April my husband retired and we decided to stay
      half the year in Corsica and the other half in Puerto Rico. I am a history
      mayor and as a Corsican descendant, I has always been very interested in
      Corsican history. As in your email you said "Corsica has been French for
      quiet a while now (over a hundred years) and Genoan for some time"..., I
      would like to let you know that Corsica was part of Genoa for more then
      five centuries, when Italy was not yet a nation, Genoa ceded Corsica to
      France in payment of a debt in 1768 so it has been French for only 237
      years. That is why even though the Corsicans are French citizens most of
      our last names are Italian and I would dare say Corsicans have more in
      common with the Italians since ethnically they are Italian, their oficial
      language is French but the Corsican language, spoken by many of us has so
      much in common with the Italian language that Corsicans visiting Italy
      may speak in Corsican and everybody will understand perfectly. But non of
      that means Corsicans feel they are neither Italian nor French, they feel
      they are Corsicans. A little bit complicated? Please feel free to contact
      me anytime you wish, Pace e' salute, d'un'amica,

      Lali Vincenti

      \>From: Isypaschetta@...
      >To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [corsicalista] Hi from Kirsten
      >Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:45:54 EDT
      >
      >Hello !
      >
      >Of course we can meet again ! This afternoon was fun and I'm sure that
      >those
      >who are around will agree too.
      >For a change we could do it at ILE ROUSSE this time, couldn't we ?
      >By the way; Corsica has been French for quite a while now (over a hundred
      >years)...it was Genoan for some time !
      >Till soon then....cheers !
      >Isabelle

    • delara22
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
        Isabelle,
        Thanks! That's great you guys are up for getting together again so
        soon. I'm not as familiar with Ile Rousse, but we can certainly fake
        it with reasonable directions. Anytime is great, but it would be
        nice to get together earlier in our stay if possible- from Saturday,
        October 1st and onward. Just let us know what works for everybody.

        My three goals this trip (besides just BEING THERE) are:
        - Look for an apartment to purchase (probably in Calvi)
        - Do research on maquis plants (I plan to go to Parc de Saleccia,
        perhaps the nursery in Lumio).
        - Meet people (thanks to this group!)

        If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear about them.
        Otherwise, just let us know when it will be convenient to meet in
        Ile Rousse and we'll be there.

        Thanks again!

        Kirsten

        --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, Isypaschetta@a... wrote:
        > Hello !
        >
        > Of course we can meet again ! This afternoon was fun and I'm sure
        that those
        > who are around will agree too.
        > For a change we could do it at ILE ROUSSE this time, couldn't we ?
        > By the way; Corsica has been French for quite a while now (over
        a hundred
        > years)...it was Genoan for some time !
        > Till soon then....cheers !
        > Isabelle
      • Hannes Ambacher
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
          dear kirsten and jim,

          we are also staying until mid to end of october and we would be happy to meet. see you then.
          enclosed our phone numbers, just in case.

          Herzliche Grüße / Cordialement
          Hannes

          Tel. +33 (495) 333 549
          Mobil: +33 678 970 764
          Skype: h.ambacher

          On 30 Aug 2005, at 2:46, jk delara wrote:

          Hi everybody. I'm new to the list, but have been fascinated by Corsica since my first accidental visit in 1988.  It's really cool to read messages from so many people that love Corsica! We live in Seattle (from the states), and we're so isolated here,  practically nobody even knows where Corsica is... (Is it Italian?)   Of course we're doing our best to spread the word to friends and acquaintances about what a magnificent place it is.

          We will be making a trip to Calvi the beginning of October for a couple of weeks (sorry we couldn't make the earlier rendezvous), and I was wondering if anyone would be available to get together in that area?

          We really enjoyed Jean Reno's movie L'Enquête corse filmed in Corsica (from the comic book of the same name). I think it's still just out on French DVD, but worth catching if you have a machine that will play those.

          Cheers to everyone,

          Kirsten and Jim

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • jk delara
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005

            Hannes,

            That's wonderful that you will also be around to get together. I'm definately looking forward to meeting Corsican residents as well as people who have a passion about visiting corsica. I'd like to know the secrect about how to make your life fit around spending long periods of time en corse. Maybe those insights will come out over the list, but they certainly must over a pint of Pietra in the warm corsican sun.

            Thanks so much for your phone numbers, I'll make sure I pack them in a safe place, when we get a bit closer to packing.  We'll be in touch before then of course.

            thanks again,

            Kirsten and Jim

            From: Hannes Ambacher <h.ambacher@...>
            To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [corsicalista] Hi from Kirsten
            Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:20:18 +0200

            dear kirsten and jim,

            we are also staying until mid to end of october and we would be happy to meet. see you then.
            enclosed our phone numbers, just in case.

            Herzliche Gr��e / Cordialement
            Hannes

            Tel. +33 (495) 333 549
            Mobil: +33 678 970 764
            Skype: h.ambacher

            On 30 Aug 2005, at 2:46, jk delara wrote:

            Hi everybody. I'm new to the list, but have been fascinated by Corsica since my first accidental visit in 1988.  It's really cool to read messages from so many people that love Corsica! We live in Seattle (from the states), and we're so isolated here,  practically nobody even knows where Corsica is... (Is it Italian?)   Of course we're doing our best to spread the word to friends and acquaintances about what a magnificent place it is.

            We will be making a trip to Calvi the beginning of October for a couple of weeks (sorry we couldn't make the earlier rendezvous), and I was wondering if anyone would be available to get together in that area?

            We really enjoyed Jean Reno's movie L'Enqu�te corse filmed in Corsica (from the comic book of the same name). I think it's still just out on French DVD, but worth catching if you have a machine that will play those.

            Cheers to everyone,

            Kirsten and Jim

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Maria Vincenti
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
              Kirsten and Jim: Hi, in your email of August 30 you asked Hannes if Corsica
              was Italian, certainly not, Corsica is French since 1768, previously it had
              been Genoese for more than five centuries but Genoa ceded the island to the
              French in payment of a debt in the Treaty of Versaille of 1768. Any other
              doubt about Corsica I will be glad to be of help. I am a descendant of the
              Corsican Diaspora in America. Cordially, Lali

            • Hannes Ambacher

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Hi Hannes, I am not from US it is from Puerto Rico in the Caribbean; as
                  you all know America is not US only, it is South AMerica, Central America,
                  North America (including Canada and Mexico), Central America and the
                  Caribbean and in fact when Cristopher Columbus came to the new world
                  (America) it was in the West Indies were he landed, he never visited the
                  continental USA. Looking forward to see you sometime, Lali