RE: [corsicalista] an appeal to artists who love Corsica

  • Sharp Robert
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1 12:35 AM
      He Geraldine

      I loved your paintings too. I'm sure that if you add your
      soon-to-be-produced Corsican pictures to your site and then send a reminder
      to corsicalista you'll have some sales in no time - and maybe even some
      commissions. I look forward to getting to your exhibtion in a few weeks as
      it's only 10 minutes from where I work.

      Regards
      Robert Sharp (London)

      PS: I'm just back from a month in Corsica and already deep in my 'blue
      period'!

      You are most welcome to visit my website at www.geraldineburdis.com
      Thanks and best wishes,
      Geraldine Burdis

      This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
    • Geraldine Burdis
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1 2:36 AM
        Hi Robert
        Thanks so much for writing, and for your very kind comments. You made me
        feel quite 'green' by saying you had just spent a month in Corsica - I will
        look forward to meeting you at the exhibition!
        Best regards
        Geraldine Burdis

        > I loved your paintings too. I'm sure that if you add your
        > soon-to-be-produced Corsican pictures to your site and then send a
        > reminder
        > to corsicalista you'll have some sales in no time - and maybe even some
        > commissions. I look forward to getting to your exhibtion in a few weeks as
        > it's only 10 minutes from where I work.
        >
        > Regards
        > Robert Sharp (London)
        >
        > PS: I'm just back from a month in Corsica and already deep in my 'blue
        > period'!

      • Carol Hanson
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1 6:22 AM
          Hi Geraldine
          Just been on your website and love the pictures!
          Unfortunately we will not be able to visit London
          during the dates of your forthcoming exhibition. Do
          you have any other exhibitions planned in the UK?
          Wish you every success for your London exhibition and
          great idea of Robert's to let the group know when
          you've had a chance to work on the Corsican material.
          Kind regards
          Carol

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1 7:52 AM
            Yes, it could start a bidding war!

            Robert

            > We have been having conversations about fires on the
            list. I posted
            > the regional fire prevention poster in the photos
            section a little
            > while back. Now I'd like to invite any artists out
            there to offer a
            > painting, drawing or whatever to be auctioned to the
            benefit of
            > rehabilitating the land and trees ravaged by the
            recent fires in the
            > Balagne. In the 'big' fire we lost 2500 hectares
            and hundreds of
            > centenarian olive trees. The most recent of our
            (three) fires 'only'
            > destroyed 40 hectares!
            >
            > The artist of the poster I posted has teamed up with
            the mayor of
            > Calinzana - one of the communes most affected - to
            organise an auction
            > when artworks have been collected to help restore
            the olives
            > especially - given that the olive is a symbol of
            peace and it would be
            > good to see them reborn on this scorched earth.
            >
            > If anyone wishes to respond by offering their own
            work or the work of
            > others, just let me know (since I know Pierre
            Guidoni the mayor in
            > question - he married Jori Lynn and me!) and I can
            put you in touch.

            > Will
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------

            This email has been scanned on behalf of NMSI for all viruses by the

          • Isypaschetta@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1 12:38 PM
              I just had a look at Geraldine's pictures ! They are fantastic ! I particularly love "Empty beach"
              Go and have a look it's worth it !
              There's an exhibition on December 5th at the hotel de Balagne; she could exhibit; I know the organizer if she's interested !
              Isabelle
            • cafeluri
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1 2:16 PM
                Geraldine: I haven't been able to find the address for your website.
                Can you post it again? I would like to take a look at your
                paintings. Thanks. Ray Agostini
                --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "Geraldine Burdis"
                <gburdis@b...> wrote:
                > Hi Anne
                > It was so kind of you to write. My website is brand new (only
                finished a
                > few days ago) so it is very exciting for me to hear your
                enthusiasm - thank
                > you. Also thanks for doing some networking for me - very much
                appreciated!
                > Best wishes, Geraldine

                BRAVO!
                > > I'll send your website address to a couple of friends in London
                who
                > > I'm sure will love some of your work. Kind regards. Anne
                > >

                > > --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "Geraldine Burdis"
                > > <gburdis@b...> wrote:
                > >> Hi Will
                > >> (Thanks for setting up this group - this is my first
                > > communication, but I
                > >> have really enjoyed being a 'fly on the wall' and reading all
                the
                > >> interesting exchanges so far!)
                > >> I am prompted now to write because I am indeed 'an artist who
                > > loves
                > >> Corsica'.
                > >> I have visited only once for two weeks last year, and pretty
                > > thoroughly
                > >> explored the bottom half of the island - and immediately fell in
                > > love with
                > >> it. I have not yet produced any paintings based on the material
                > > gathered
                > >> because I have recently been in my 'fruit and vegetable
                period'(!)
                > > but I am
                > >> keen to go back to some landscapes, and really like the thought
                of
                > >> supporting the replanting project. BUT ... I am mounting a solo
                > > exhibition
                > >> in London at the beginning of September which is occupying my
                > > attention
                > >> totally at the moment - I would probably not be able to offer a
                > > piece of
                > >> work until say sometime in October. Do you have any idea of the
                > > timeframe
                > >> for submission?
                > >> You are most welcome to visit my website at
                www.geraldineburdis.com
                > >> Thanks and best wishes,
                > >> Geraldine Burdis

              • Geraldine Burdis
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2 1:36 AM
                  Hi Carol
                  Thanks for taking the time to look at the website and write to me.
                  The upcoming exhibition is the only one I have in pipeline at the moment
                  (and gosh - it's taking every ounce of energy!) but I will be delighted to
                  keep you posted when I have 'turned my brush to Corsica'. Thank you so much
                  for your support and good wishes.
                  Best regards
                  Geraldine

                  > Just been on your website and love the pictures!
                  > Unfortunately we will not be able to visit London
                  > during the dates of your forthcoming exhibition. Do
                  > you have any other exhibitions planned in the UK?
                  > Wish you every success for your London exhibition and
                  > great idea of Robert's to let the group know when
                  > you've had a chance to work on the Corsican material.
                  > Kind regards
                  > Carol

                • Geraldine Burdis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2 1:44 AM
                    Hi Ray
                    My website is www.geraldineburdis.com
                    Thanks for your interest - hope you enjoy having a look at my little
                    'virtual gallery'!
                    Best regards
                    Geraldine Burdis

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2 2:07 AM
                      Hi Isabelle
                      Thanks so much for your email and your enthusiasm!  I would be very interested to know more about the planned exhibition in December, and you are most welcome to pass my website details on to the organiser to see whether my paintings are the kind of work they might be looking to include.
                      Best regards
                      Geraldine Burdis

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2 2:40 AM
                        Hi Geraldine

                        2008 will see the centenary of Mrs E[dward] R[obson] Whitwell's book
                        'Through Corsica with a Paintbrush' (Darlington, Wm Dresser & Sons [and]
                        London, Simpkin, Marshall & Co., 1908). Perhaps, with two years to prepare,
                        you might produce your own book of this title? There are also books entitled
                        'Through Corsica with a Pencil' and 'Through Corsica with a Camera'. I
                        abandoned my own 'Through Corsica with a Six-pack'!

                        Mrs. Whitwell's husband was a coal company director and a member of the
                        Alpine Club. The Alpine Journal at this time featured numerous articles on
                        the pleasures and challenges of mountaineering in Corsica (especially by
                        Douglas Freshfield, the club's president in the 1890s).

                        Robert

                        > I loved your paintings too. I'm sure that if you add your
                        > soon-to-be-produced Corsican pictures to your site and then send a
                        > reminder
                        > to corsicalista you'll have some sales in no time - and maybe even some
                        > commissions. I look forward to getting to your exhibtion in a few weeks as
                        > it's only 10 minutes from where I work.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Robert Sharp (London)
                        >
                        > PS: I'm just back from a month in Corsica and already deep in my 'blue
                        > period'!

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 3 2:09 AM
                          Hi Robert
                          What interesting information you sent about the various pictorial books
                          about Corsica - I am looking forward to tracking them down. Even given
                          twenty years, I fear that producing a similar volume may be rather too
                          ambitious for me (but what a fabulous excuse for 'working'!) As for your
                          own tome, perhaps you should resume your research - I seem to recall that
                          the comedian Tony Hawks published a book a few years ago entitled 'Round
                          Ireland with a Fridge' - you never know, yours might be a bestseller!
                          All the best, Geraldine