Not enough UK visitors in Corsica!

  • jguiderdoni
    Message 1 of 26 , May 8, 2011
      Hi there

      i am Corsican and recently moved back from london to my island. there are actually very few UK tourists in corsica, especially compared with the mass of Germans and Italians we welcome every year. Not too sure why and I think it is a shame as we have much to offer to UK people, based on my experience of what UK tourists expectof their holidays.

      As for living in Corsica, I am impressed by anyone who is not Corsican and decides to move here... it is a very "local" place!
      I have set up a website that is non commercial and try to help english speaker with a great experience of Corsica:
      www.corsicaexperience.com

      Have a look and let me know if you find it useful!

      Jean-francois
    • Paul Boynton
      Message 2 of 26 , May 9, 2011
        Jean-Francois,
        One of the reasons is that Corsica is such a well kept secret. Very few people I speak to know anything about it and tend to think it is this rocky island somewhere in the Med. Lots of people have been to Sardinia because it publicises it's self but the down side is that it is over run by tourists ( I also think it is a far inferior island to Corsica) Again another reason is the expense of the island many Brits can get a cheaper holiday elsewhere as many of the package companies do not do many deals there.
        Corsica has to decide what it wants to do, remain as it is as a beautiful island but not a tourists haven or open it's doors to tourists and risk losing the magic of the place.
        When I was in Sardinia 2 years ago many of the islanders were regretting the over development of their island but they had the tourists and therefore money.
        I see very little advertisements for Corsica over here in the UK I hope that continues but there again I'm being selfish !!!!

        Paul

        To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com

          From: jfguiderdoni@...
          Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 18:18:26 +0000

          --
          email: edwardsteen@...

          14 Résidence l'Ortu, Lieu dit Palazzi, Santa Reparata di Balagna, F - 20220, L'Ile Rousse

          fixe (33) 495 483911

          portable (33) 637 728 509

        • aliandian@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , May 12, 2011
            Re the promotion of Corsica in the UK, we recently went to the cinema
            and were surprised to see before the film familiar scenes of mountains
            and beaches with a background of polyphony, advertising Corsica as a
            holiday destination - one of the initiatives of the Collectivite
            Territoriale no doubt... so Sardinia's experience may not be long in
            coming..

            Alison

            Message 5 of 26 , May 12, 2011
              Jean-francois-
              Beware what you wish for!
              The risk of encouraging more tourists from the UK is to lose the island. Think of the Spanish Costa del Sol. English spoken everywhere, English shops, English fish & -gag- chips, sickly white English bodies carpeting the beaches, listening to an English radio station! We understand that the English have good reason to flee their unfortunate climate, to seek some sunshine, but why encourage invasion & occupation? Is the revenue really worth it? I went to Spain hoping to be with Spaniards, left unhappy, went to Ecuador instead.
              -Mimi

              To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 13, 2011
                    I have to leap to the defence of Sardinia which is a lovely island - although arguably not quite the same concentration of spectacular scenery as Corsica. The history and culture are just as interesting and Corsica has nothing comparable to the Nuraghe.

                    I suspect that Corsica is seen, rightly or wrongly, as an expensive destination, and yes I think it has been a bit overshadowed by Sardinia - but go to somewhere like Campomoro or Tizzano and you might well be surprised by how many Brits there are about.

                    And there are definitely oddities about why Corsica appeals to different groups and different markets. Travelling somewhere in Corsica (I forget where) I came across Swiss veteran car enthusiasts driving around in immaculately-restored Austin-Healey sports cars and somewhere else very remote (I was on a mountain bike) I came across a convoy of off-road (as in Land Rovers) enthusiasts from Essex parked up for lunch and a cup of tea.

                    Best wishes

                    Andy Miller
                  • Robert Sharp
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 14, 2011
                      I compliment Jean-Francois on his site (although he can't really go wrong with such wonderful 'raw material' to work with).

                      I think a number of very good points have been made, and I also certainly feel that Corsica is - for English visitors - an expensive place to visit if you holiday with one of the specialist Corsica travel companies. I sense that some of them have had difficult times in recent years, as one or two of them have been subsumed into others and some have disappeared altogether. Car hire, too, is not cheap and, given that seeing as much of the island as possible is, in my opinion, a main reason for going there, a car is essential. Each year I see less than half a dozen UK cars during my holiday.

                      Some villas become more affordable per person when a larger group (say 6-8) holiday together, but I don't think Brits holiday like that, do they? Also, there aren't many British airports which offer flights directly to Corsica. Maybe we Brits are a bit lazy and like to fly from our nearby airport direct to our destination. Finally, although I, too, do seem to come across a fair number of Brits when travelling around Corsica, I very rarely notice families. Perhaps we don't see it as one of the better locations in which to keep two or three boisterous kids occupied. It's certainly a great place for young adults to go to because walkers and mountain climbers, anglers, snorkellers and scuba divers are all well catered for and very reasonably priced campsites are to be found everywhere.

                      Personally, I notice the island getting busier almost every year. I'm glad I've spent many years visiting during quieter times and can only hope that it remains comparatively unspoiled. I know Corsicans are hugely protective of the right balance being struck between maintaining what we all love and judicious development.

                      Robert Sharp

                    • Anita Hashtrudi
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 14, 2011
                        At last.. I am so glad we have all woken up from hibernation... Corsica lista has been silent for too long.. i think we all have views on Brits Abroad... I have witnessed some embarassing sights   on my travels...involving I am sorry to say mainly English tourists.. it is at times like this that I usually admit to being Scottish.. although I think of myself usually as European... I think I must have some Italian genes in there somewhere!

                        yes the reasons are many... as stated by you all... inconvenience of transport, expense, unwillingness of locals (good for them) to give in to the beer and chips brigade as Spain and  Greece and other parts have done....lack of package deals.... as someone said... whether selfishly or not... let's keep it our secret... and next door neighbours can provide the tourist income...David has come back recently from quite a long stay.. he noticed that it certainly isn't cheap but its worth it!!

                        my turn next... but i'm not telling too many people about it!!!!!!!

                        anita hashtrudi
                      • Mimi Forsyth

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 16, 2011

                            As we are getting into history, I lived in Ponte Lecchia and then Ajaccio from 1947 to 1964 and whilst I agree it is getting busier and more developed (especially Ajaccio), I am thankful that the Corsica I remember has not gone the way of the Costas.

                            Yes, you will see a deal of people if you holiday in August, but thus far it is still possible to spend a day without seeing anyone, if you choose your beach carefully.

                            Why are there so few British? Mainly cost I would say as well as the lack of (thank god) some of the tourist attractions loved by the great unwashed. I feel that the biggest problem these  days is not so much the lack of English tourists, but rather the influx of immigrants from North Africa.  Read the graffiti on the roads.

                            Roger

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                              I'm English and been going to Corsica for years. Why?  Because there are no English there!!!!!!!!!!!

                              PETE SUMNER
                              .

[...]

                              No virus found in this message.

                            • jk delara
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                                I think I am one of the few Americans that stays in Corsica, when I hear an American voice it is either someone I know or someone I run away from
                                Jiom DeLara

                                To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
                                From: pete@...
                                Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:54:57 +0100

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                                  Hi,
                                  Wehave been visiting Corsica since 1987. We adore the island, the Corsican cuisine and it's people. We also have a several very nice Corsican friends.( We are English) We don't get involved with their politics as we feel it's not our business to interfere.
                                  It would be a great shame if hoards of larger louts were to descend onto the island - like they do in Spain and Greece. God forbid that you be able to get a fry-up for breakfast or fish and chips in Calvi!!!!
                                  When we visit a Country we want to immerse ourselves in their culture, language and food - why else would we choose to go abroad? When we could stay at home for fish and chips or a fry-up. Yes it has become more expensive to dine out or shop in the supermarket's but that's no different to here in the UK. We must remember that it's an island and apart from all the local produce and products everything else has to be shipped or flown in.
                                  Yes, we are one of the lucky English that has been fortunate in purchasing a property. Which we DO NOT RENT OUT- it's our maison secondaire. Our bolt hole and we love it.
                                  In answer to Mimi's "embarrassing sights abroad" can I just say that "we are not all like that"

                                  Eagerly counting down the day's to our next visit. (6 days)

                                  Jackie

                                  To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: pete@...
                                  Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:54:57 +0100

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                                    I went there once in 2006. I drove form top to bottom and simply Loved it.
                                    Sharon for Calif.

                                    To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: pete@...
                                    Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:54:57 +0100

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                                      Please do not send any more emails as it is the same from different people and fills up my box
                                    • Roger Snook
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 17, 2011

                                        Hi All,

                                        This stream of discussion seems to have generated a lot of thought.

                                        May I emphasise the sentiment of Jackie Smith about not getting involved in politics. I would also say in the same vein do not get involved in family matters or local affairs. Think about how an English village works and the dangers of getting too closely embroiled in local issues. It is just the same in Corsica with the exception that arguments are sometimes enforced with a gun. Also do not believe the absence of vendetta. It is still there to a degree, but nicely bundled into the background, so there are no real dangers for visitors. However, those of you who live there will have stories that may give one  pause for thought.

                                        The other side of the hidden Corsican society is that there is immense courtesy and if you are used to a society where many men are armed, you will not find anything alarming. Indeed I feel safer there than in London.

                                        Is my view overly pessimistic or outdated?  Well I find on thinking back that I have been on the wrong end of a gun three times in Corsica over the past 40 years (once courtesy of some form of military police unit on the outskirts of Propriano. I never found out exactly who they were as it was dark and they were very heavily armed) and immediately adjacent to two fatal shootings. Enough I think to make me feel that I know the wrong people or I am getting blasé.

                                        That said, I still visit regularly as it is my cultural home and I am very fond of the Corsican approach to life which I find more honest in the fundamental sense. Further the beauty of the Island is unparalleled.

                                        I can recommend Corse Provencal for an interesting insight of what goes on, especially up in the mountains during the hunting season.

                                        Roger

                                        From: pete@...
                                        Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:54:57 +0100

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                                          --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, joan thompson <applevale99@...> wrote:

                                          > Please do not send any more emails as it is the same from different people and fills up my box

                                        • Andrew Miller
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 17, 2011

                                            "Why are there so few British? Mainly cost I would say as well as the lack of (thank god)
                                            some of the tourist attractions loved by the great unwashed".

                                            Which doesn't explain why there are so many British in Alghero or Cagliari but not in Ajaccio or Bastia.

                                            "I feel that the biggest problem these days is not so much the lack of English tourists, but rather the influx of immigrants from North Africa. Read the graffiti on the roads".

                                            A couple of racists with time on their hands,  a car and a can of spray paint. There are extraordinarily few immigrants in Corsica.

                                            Best wishes

                                            Andy Miller

                                            Sent from my iPod
                                          • maisonborghetti
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                                              --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Snook" <rogersnook@...> wrote:

                                              > As we are getting into history, I lived in Ponte Lecchia and then Ajaccio
                                              > from 1947 to 1964 and whilst I agree it is getting busier and more developed
                                              > (especially Ajaccio), I am thankful that the Corsica I remember has not gone
                                              > the way of the Costas.

                                              Definitely! If Crete, which was wonderful thirty years ago, hadn't gone so far in that direction I may well have ended up living there instead of here...

                                              > I feel that the biggest problem these days is not so much the lack of English
                                              > tourists, but rather the influx of immigrants from North Africa.

                                              What influx? OK, you see quite a few North Africans around Aleria (and on building sites, and working on the roads) but I think they're mainly the descendants of those who came over with the Pieds-Noirs. Having moved here from Amsterdam five years ago, we've always been surprised at how few North Africans you see here.

                                              > Read the graffiti on the roads.

                                              You mean "arabi fora"? I think they say a lot more about the mentality of the graffiti artists than about any possible "influx".

                                              Brian, Talasani

                                              www.maisonborghetti.com

                                            • Rdequenne3@cs.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                                                Amen to that! I've been embarrassed far too many times
                                                by the crassness of my fellow Americans in my travels.
                                              • Jacqueline Smith
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 17, 2011

                                                  Hi Brian,
                                                  I love your website very informative and your house is beautiful. Well done with the conversion - tres chic.
                                                  Jackie

                                                  To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
                                                  From: nospam@...
                                                  Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:02:59 +0000

                                                  --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Snook" <rogersnook@...> wrote:

                                                  > As we are getting into history, I lived in Ponte Lecchia and then Ajaccio
                                                  > from 1947 to 1964 and whilst I agree it is getting busier and more developed
                                                  > (especially Ajaccio), I am thankful that the Corsica I remember has not gone
                                                  > the way of the Costas.

                                                  Definitely! If Crete, which was wonderful thirty years ago, hadn't gone so far in that direction I may well have ended up living there instead of here...

                                                  > I feel that the biggest problem these days is not so much the lack of English
                                                  > tourists, but rather the influx of immigrants from North Africa.

                                                  What influx? OK, you see quite a few North Africans around Aleria (and on building sites, and working on the roads) but I think they're mainly the descendants of those who came over with the Pieds-Noirs. Having moved here from Amsterdam five years ago, we've always been surprised at how few North Africans you see here.

                                                  > Read the graffiti on the roads.

                                                  You mean "arabi fora"? I think they say a lot more about the mentality of the graffiti artists than about any possible "influx".

                                                  Brian, Talasani

                                                  www.maisonborghetti.com

                                                • nospam
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 20, 2011
                                                    Thanks Jackie, it's even better IRL! :-)

                                                    Brian

                                                    To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
                                                    From: nospam@...
                                                    Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:02:59 +0000

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 22, 2011
                                                      And the irony is that this last email came from "nospam".

                                                      Please could people consider whether a reply needs to go to the whole group - there is an option to reply to the sender.

                                                      Also please consider whether you need to quote previous messages and exchanges of messages.

                                                      Best wishes

                                                      Andy Miller

                                                      Sent from my iPod
                                                    • jguiderdoni
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 30, 2011
                                                        Hi everyone

                                                        Damn, I am glad that my initial, and fairly basic I must say, remark on the lack of British tourists has sparked so many comments and thoughts. Thanks to all of you as it has given me (and other corsicans on this list) some food for thought.

                                                        I am sure most of you, meber of this list, know the island well but if you have any questions, especially about the Taravo and south Corsica in general, I'll be glad to help - just post your questions on my site. And thanks very much for your kind comments and advice about the site.

                                                        Jean-francois

                                                        PS: apologies for the quite late reply but I thought I had an alert on my e-mail when the post had a reply. Anyone knows how to do this?