Re: [corsicalista] British in Corsica

  • aliandian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
      Hi Liz and others

      Yes we spend - or at least will be spending  this year - much time in Corsica and would certainly be interested in meeting up. We will be there this year from around 21 June until 12 August, and then possibly again in October. In particular I (Ali) am always on the look out for people to walk with - though not the GR20 ! - as Ian doesn't walk any more, but other social and educational ventures also of interest. We are based in Algajola. Have just got back from a 10 day stay, the first week great but the last few days of absolutely foul weather, which did make us rather conscious of the limited entertainments on offer when the weather is bad, especially in deepest off season when roads, railways and buildings are all under repair!

      Look forward to meeting you

      Ali and Ian
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 6 , May 20, 2011
        I think that is great that this List seems to have come alive again.

        What I'd love to see is some event in Britain to promote Corsican history, music, culture, food, beer and wine. Hopefully that could generate some interest in this fascinating island.

        In 2009 my partner and I went to Corsica. I remember when booking the holiday the travel agent tried to book us a hotel some 16 km from Bastia. I had to patiently explain that we wanted to see as much as possible and needed to be near the centre of Bastia so we could take some day trips out to different places- neither of us drive.
        The travel agent tried to explain 'but the hotel has a large pool'...and I had to remind her that we live on the south coast of England and can go swimming whenever we want . When we are in Corsica we want to see history, art, culture, some beer in the evenings, but don't want to spend all day by the pool drinking.
        Eventually we got a hotel near the centre of Bastia.

        We also went to Ajaccio for a few days.