British in Corsica

  • Liz Wallis
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2011
      Just wondering if there are any others who spend lengthy periods in Corsica and would be interested in forming some sort of informal group eg for walks (strenuous or otherwise), visits to historic sites etc, We now go for about 16 weeks of the year and although we have local friends and speak reasonable French we feel that it would also be good to meet up with others for whom Corsica is a much loved second home. We are based in the North near the Balagne. (Always eager to meet new Corsicans too of course.)
    • Elizabeth Raikes
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2011
        Dear Liz

        Graham and I would be interested. At the moment we only get to Corsica
        twice a year and spend the time at various points in the island. The
        Balagne area is one of our favourite parts.

        We are next going 3-17 April and spending four nights in Ajaccio at the
        start, 5 nights in the Casinca at the end and have not yet planned the
        middle part.

        Best wishes

        Elizabeth Raikes

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2011
          Thank you kindly for your invitation but I don't necessarily like or dislike Corsica anymore than any other place. My main interest in Corsica lies almost exclusively in the fact that my paternal great grandparents came from there. Actually, my great grandfather Henri was executed by the French there and never made it to America.
        • Paul Boynton
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2011
            Hi Liz,
            We go about every other year to various parts of the island and would be pleased to join a group if you don't mind the occasional interloper !!!

            Paul

            To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
            From: lizwallis2@...
            Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:32:43 +0000

          • aliandian@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
              Hi Liz and others

              Yes we spend - or at least will be spending  this year - much time in Corsica and would certainly be interested in meeting up. We will be there this year from around 21 June until 12 August, and then possibly again in October. In particular I (Ali) am always on the look out for people to walk with - though not the GR20 ! - as Ian doesn't walk any more, but other social and educational ventures also of interest. We are based in Algajola. Have just got back from a 10 day stay, the first week great but the last few days of absolutely foul weather, which did make us rather conscious of the limited entertainments on offer when the weather is bad, especially in deepest off season when roads, railways and buildings are all under repair!

              Look forward to meeting you

              Ali and Ian
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 6 , May 20 12:45 PM
                I think that is great that this List seems to have come alive again.

                What I'd love to see is some event in Britain to promote Corsican history, music, culture, food, beer and wine. Hopefully that could generate some interest in this fascinating island.

                In 2009 my partner and I went to Corsica. I remember when booking the holiday the travel agent tried to book us a hotel some 16 km from Bastia. I had to patiently explain that we wanted to see as much as possible and needed to be near the centre of Bastia so we could take some day trips out to different places- neither of us drive.
                The travel agent tried to explain 'but the hotel has a large pool'...and I had to remind her that we live on the south coast of England and can go swimming whenever we want . When we are in Corsica we want to see history, art, culture, some beer in the evenings, but don't want to spend all day by the pool drinking.
                Eventually we got a hotel near the centre of Bastia.

                We also went to Ajaccio for a few days.