HOLIDAY ADVICE

  • ellpost
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
      Hello All

      I am hoping you will be kind enough to give me the benefit of your collective experience of Corsica.

      We are hoping to visit Corsica in the middle of September for a relaxing break in a coastal villa. But, which part of the coast!

      I would love to rent accommodation that is on a quiet sandy beach or at least a stone's throw away and within 3 miles of a town for supplies.

      We live in Bristol next door to 5 19-year old student boys, and the aim of this holiday is to regain our equilibrium! At the same time, we would like to be not too far from boat hire, watersports, restaurants etc. Sea quality (azure please!)is important, quiet beach with shade, and greenery all around!

      My dream is to wake up in the morning (to the gentle sound of waves instead of rap music)and take a dip in the sea, to eat in a shady peaceful garden (not overlooked) with a wonderful view of the sea, to not hear any neighbours or cars or music, and to watch the sun go down over the waves.

      Am I in la-la land or does such a place exist? Your thoughts would much appreciated.

      Regards
      Elea
    • aliandian@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
        Hello Elea

        I have never been to this villa but a review of it in the Guardian a while back caught my eye. It has the peace and solitude that you are after, though not directly on the beach (but, the two may be incompatible). If you can afford it, it might suit. The sea in those parts is certainly azure.

        Here's the review in the Guardian

        Best of luck with your search!

        Alison
      • R Snook
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
          Hi Elea,

          I have just seen the recommendation made by Alison and I can conifrm it is a good choice.

          I stayed on this little development regularly for some 6 years, when it was called Les Oliviers. When I was there there were four villas, all private from each other and teh swimming pool was yet to be built. The owner was a German left behind after the war and the site passed to his son on his death around 1996, Sadly I cannot now recall his name.

          I suggest that before booking, you find out quite how much this site has been developed further and whether the privacy level has been retained.

          Whilist the site is about a kilometre south of Olmeto, it is quite hard to spot as it is down the hill off the Ajaccio-Propriano road and the access gate is locked. The entrance is easier to see coming from the Propriano direction (which you would be if you fly into Figari and rent a car there. NB A car is absolutely essential in Corsica. Figari is a better airport than Ajaccio - much smaller). Don't take the villa that is highest up. it is too close to the road. The others get no noise.

          Nearest town is Propriano, which you can see on the photo illustrating the view from the villa in the brochure that Alison sent you the link for.

          I cannot recall any goiod villas literally on the beach in Corsica. On rocks, yes, but thenm the swimming is not always so good. There might be some over at Porto Vecchio, but I would avoid any beach based villas if I wanted peace and quiet.

          The nearest good beach to Les Oliviers is at Filitosa - about 20 minutes drive around the north side of the bay, but worth the drive.

          Let me know if I can help any further.

          Roger
        • Graham Peters
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010

            Hello all, an d a happy new year, just for info, I am still looking for l an d or l an d + property to buy /  reno v ate, about 5 to 30 kms inl an d in Corsica.

            If an yone c an help it woul d be most appreciate d , Regar d s, Graham

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
              Elea,

              Having a bit more time now, I have had a couple of other thoughts as to your requirements.

              First - time of year. Middle of September is pretty much the end of the tourist season and all the French and Italians should have gone home. That will mean that some things may be closed or will close before October. The weather is a bit less predictble than at the start of September and may be a bit cooler, say about 32C. Personally I prefer this part of the year, but recognise I am taking a chance on the weather. certainly if you leave it any later the weather will definitely start to break up.
              Another thought - the hunting season starts around this time and cars bristling with guns are not unusual. Do not be concerned by the road signs that have been shot up. It is a local sport.

              Second - I said earlier that there were few "beach" villas. I have since remembered some so described on the north side of the Bay of Valinco, but they are close to a hotel and I do not rate them. See my comments about noise etc.

              Third - where? I am biased as I was born and brought up in Corsica, but my own choice is Propriano and the surrounding area. As I have said I think the beach at Filitosa is about the best ever, although it is actually called Olmeto plage.
              Ajaccio is too built up for my taste and once you are north of Ajaccio there are few good beaches on the west coast unless you have a boat or mountaineering skills, but around Sagone and Carghese is possible.
              Calvi? That is really the main tourist area. If you do not fancy Olmeto, I suggest you look at Campo Moro on the south side of the Bay of Valinco, or otherwise Palombaggia on the East coast just south of Porto Vecchio. However, the latter is a busy beach these days and finding a quiet villa might be a problem. The problem with the East coast is that it is fairly flat and of course you get no sunset.
              Alternative, if you can afford the luxury, is to rent a yacht. Excellent sailing and diving.
              However, once you are inland and away from the coast road, prices may be cheaper and it will be quieter. Furthermore there are no gendarmes in the interior, apart from centres such as Corte.

              Lastly - quality of life. Excellent. Blue blue sea. Good watersports facilities around Propriano. Very green island and many rivers, although like most Mediterranean islands plagued by bush fires in the summer. The only upside of this is the Canadairs who come in very close to the beaches to scoop up water to bomb the fires and put on a fine display. Food is different. Italian style to some extent and quite rustic if you get to a good local restaurant away from the sea front.

              I doubt if you will find a better place to go for a holiday, albeit it is not cheap. If your french is good enough you should be able to avoid the tourist price list. You must however not spend all the time on the beach. The interior is amazing scenically if you are not put off by the roads.

              Bonne chance,

              Roger

              --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "ellpost" <ellpost@...> wrote:

              > Hello All
              >
              > I am hoping you will be kind enough to give me the benefit of your collective experience of Corsica.
              >
              > We are hoping to visit Corsica in the middle of September for a relaxing break in a coastal villa. But, which part of the coast!
              >
              > I would love to rent accommodation that is on a quiet sandy beach or at least a stone's throw away and within 3 miles of a town for supplies.
              >
              > We live in Bristol next door to 5 19-year old student boys, and the aim of this holiday is to regain our equilibrium! At the same time, we would like to be not too far from boat hire, watersports, restaurants etc. Sea quality (azure please!)is important, quiet beach with shade, and greenery all around!
              >
              > My dream is to wake up in the morning (to the gentle sound of waves instead of rap music)and take a dip in the sea, to eat in a shady peaceful garden (not overlooked) with a wonderful view of the sea, to not hear any neighbours or cars or music, and to watch the sun go down over the waves.
              >
              > Am I in la-la land or does such a place exist? Your thoughts would much appreciated.
              >
              > Regards
              > Elea

            • Lawrence D Hooper
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
                Look at this, it's beautiful, it's near prehistoric monuments, south
                western Corsica.
                There are small stores in Tizzano. The town closes down I believe in
                October or so.
                Sartene and Propriano are half an hour away by winding roads.
                Lawrence Hooper

                http://www.villa-holiday-company.co.uk/corsica/location_info.asp?id=90

                http://thedirectholidaycompany.blogspot.com/2009/05/tizzano.html

                This last one is just photographs:

                http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=XJW&q=tizzano,+corsica&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=nSFCS77HNJOsswPC1YHEBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CB0QsAQwAw
              • Lawrence D Hooper
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Look around at this hotel.
                  By the way I have never stayed in Tizzano, but have had lunch there
                  for almost forty years.
                  I visit the various prehistoric ruins that are nearby every time I
                  visit Corsica, which
                  has been every two or three years for the last 37years.
                  I have always wanted to stay in Tizzano. Maybe next visit.
                  Lawrence

                  http://www.lilium-maris.com/
                • Corey Rosentel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Hello Everyone!

                    My wife and I were on a fun trip to Corsica this past Sept.  In one word, GO! Sept is the best time of year, no crowds, plenty of space both on the beach (the Med is still really warm) and on the hiking trails (just make sure you aren't planning on staying at a rifuggio on an overnight, they get booked up quickly). Although we did not rent any villas, we are looking into doing so for the next time we go. Good Luck!

                    Cor

                    --
                    Corey Rosentel, M.A.
                    President/ Principal Investigator
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
                      Elea, just to add to all the advice you are getting and confuse you even more. We have had 3 holidays in Corsica over the last 4 years. Tried Sardinia last year, not a patch on Corsica. Just booked Corsica this year. We have stayed in the north, south and east. to L'Ile Rousse, Cap Corse, Corte, Porto Vecchio and Bonifacia. The beauty about Corsica is wherever you go it is beautiful. Cap Corse is rugged with some beautiful beaches but no large towns once you leave Bastia. Bonifaci can get a little windy but again azure seas and white beaches. Our last holiday was taken during September and we stayed in L'Ile Rousse. Loved the town has a nice beach and is very lively at the weekend, during the week is was quiet as Roger says it is the end of the season but it means you can pick and choose your restaurant. Calvi is also a lively place during September Be aware not all ships/restaurants take "plastic" so have some cash with you. Do try a "ferme-auberge" they are great for really good Corsican home made food and great value. With regards the western side the only concern I would have was when we were in Sardinia last year, again in September, the winds were high on the west of the island, making the sea a little rough and you got sand blasted on the beach !!! Other people may be able to advise differently who have been to the western side. I would also urge you, as Roger says, to explore the interior the scenery is spectacular and very much unspoilt.............I could go on for ages about the island, you will not be disappointed wherever you go.......and no loud students

                      Paul

                      To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
                      From: rogersnook@...
                      Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:08:56 +0000
                      Subject: [corsicalista] Re: HOLIDAY ADVICE

> [...]

                      > I would love to rent accommodation that is on a quiet sandy beach or at least a stone's throw away and within 3 miles of a town for supplies.
                      >
                      > We live in Bristol next door to 5 19-year old student boys, and the aim of this holiday is to regain our equilibrium! At the same time, we would like to be not too far from boat hire, watersports, restaurants etc. Sea quality (azure please!)is important, quiet beach with shade, and greenery all around!
                      >
                      > My dream is to wake up in the morning (to the gentle sound of waves instead of rap music)and take a dip in the sea, to eat in a shady peaceful garden (not overlooked) with a wonderful view of the sea, to not hear any neighbours or cars or music, and to watch the sun go down over the waves.
                      >
                      > Am I in la-la land or does such a place exist? Your thoughts would much appreciated.

                    • Edward G. Steen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
                        Paul's advice is spot-on, I think. On est bien ici! pretty well everywere.

                        Edward Steen

                        To: corsicalista@yahoogroups.com
                        From: rogersnook@...
                        Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:08:56 +0000

                        --
                        email: edwardsteen@...
                        London: 0207 226 1917
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
                          Lawrence,

                          interesting suggestion, Tizzano. very tucked away and I agree the prehistoric site close by is in some ways more interesting than Filitosa.

                          I certainly had the impression the last time I was there that the beach was not so good and supplies would require a drive up to Sarte, but perhaps it has been developed a bit since I was last there.

                          regards

                          Roger