Propriano

  • anitahashtrudi
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2009
      In reply to Julia's comments (in the latest Corsica Bullitinu) about the state of Propriano ... unfortunately I have to agree!! I have been meaning, for years to write to the mayor....about the general feeling of neglect everywhere..
      the state of the road from the filling station down to the market square is appalling... considering most of the heavy lorries heading for the various ferries use it..one would think it would be maintained to a higher standard. As for the same road which we use in the evening for a "stroll" down to the restaurants.... there is no pavement and you just have to hope that oncoming cars and trucks can see you as you wait in the dusty verge strwn with litter until they wizz past!
      I agree about sharing a coffee with a car trying to rev up..parking space is limited but they have created some more spaces along the length of the marina. Admitedly in september it hadn't rained since april..flowers would look a bit droopy.. but there are flowers which do not take a lot of watering to look cheerful and cared for.
      Propriano should not take the tourists for granted and that goes for the standard of cuisine and prices of wine! Apart from that its fine! with so many pretty places around every corner...perhaps I will write to the mayor after all...
      Anita Hashtrudi
    • nicosan68
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 17, 2009
        I agree fully with Julia and Anita about Propriano. Each summer I always stop at Propriano. Whereas my first stop there some years ago was pleasantly surprising - I didn't know what to expect - now I do feel that its scruffy charm has deteriorated to an unacceptable degree. There has been, fortunately, defence of the area behind the long beach just to the north (with part recently becoming a little nature reserve) but both the centre and the outskirts appear to have been left unattended. Additionally, the centre has become like others in Corsica, a dangerous place (especially for kids and families) to stroll at night. A balance has to be struck when chairs and tables of cafes and restaurants are put out on the pavement but when they spill out onto the main road, and when people are forced onto the road to get round them, and when there is no attempt to regulate any traffic on this road - at any time of the day - you have a problem which eventually people will avoid by giving Propriano a miss. The outskirts are also scruffy, with little attempt to give them any form or shape, and certainly no deliberate landscaping (unlike most of France). Is it a Mediterranean thing for people not to park a distance away and walk into town? When those seeking to enjoy the town in the evening can't do so without parking as close as possible to the centre, the inevitable problem very quickly becomes compounded for everyone. A one way system of sorts does attempt to address through traffic, but other problems are even more obvious.
        It may not be for outsiders to criticise so much. After all, the population of the town must be quite small out of season, so funding for change cannot be easy. However, as a port for big ships, maybe there could be some European money to faciltate matters - and a more active mayor's office should be investigating such solutions with greater energy. Otherwise the problems will just become too bad with the result that holidaymakers will simply stay away. After all, there are many more pleasures to be found across the island!