Re: an old family

  • nicosan68
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      Hello Christina

      I've just been reading a book written in 1908 by a lady travelling in
      Corsica. In mentioning the innkeeper at Ghisonaccia she wrote 'The
      innkeeper knew his business well. He and his daughter had come from
      Constantine'. I presume this is Constantinople? Unfortunately she
      does not name him nor is there further information, not even the name
      of the inn, but a library local to Ghisonaccia may be able to help
      you identify whether there is a link.

      Good luck!

      Robert

      --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "czamafta" <czamafta@...> wrote:

      > Hi to all.
      > My family left from Corsica during the French revolution and went
      > Constantinople, at those times, to hide. Is the family name Zamafta
      or
      > de Zamafta, Corsican? Does enybody know?
      > Thank you.
      > Christina

    • Danielle De Fauw
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008

        Hello Robert,

        The innkeeper and his daughter actually came from Algeria , where the city of Constantine is situated. The book sounds interesting. What is the title?

        Thank you,

        Danielle de Fauw

        Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA

        I've just been reading a book written in 1908 by a lady travelling in
        Corsica . In mentioning the innkeeper at Ghisonaccia she wrote 'The
        innkeeper knew his business well. He and his daughter had come from
        Constantine ' . I presume this is Constantinople ? Unfortunately she
        does not name him nor is there further information, not even the name
        of the inn, but a library local to Ghisonaccia may be able to help
        you identify whether there is a link.

        Good luck!

        Robert

        --- In corsicalista@ yahoogroups. com, "czamafta" <czamafta@.. .> wrote:

        > Hi to all.
        > My family left from Corsica during the French revolution and went
        > Constantinople , at those times, to hide.
        Is the family name Zamafta
        or
        > de Zamafta, Corsican? Does enybody know?
        > Thank you.
        > Christina

      • nicosan68
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2008
          Hi Danielle

          The book is 'Through Corsica with a paint brush' by Mrs E.R.
          Whitwell. Do you know of the innkeeper or his name?

          Robert

          --- In corsicalista@yahoogroups.com, "Danielle De Fauw"
          <danielledefauw@...> wrote:

          > Hello Robert,
          >

          > The innkeeper and his daughter actually came from Algeria, where
          the city of
          > Constantine is situated. The book sounds interesting. What is the
          title?

          > Thank you,
          >

          > Danielle de Fauw
          >
          > Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
          >

          > _____

        • christine zamafta
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2008

            Nicosan68

            Thank you for your kind interest

            My family left corsica during the french revolution, so it is very dificult to track that family after all these years. All the archives i have searched are after 1890. So.....

            But anyway thanks

            wrote:

            > Hi to all.
            > My family left from Corsica during the French revolution and went
            > Constantinople, at those times, to hide. Is the family name Zamafta
            or
            > de Zamafta, Corsican? Does enybody know?
            > Thank you.
            > Christina

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional