FWD: ERN CESifo Papers, Vol. 1, No. 3, 02/28/2001

  • mckeever
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001

      C E S i f o W O R K I N G P A P E R S
      Center for Economic Studies & Ifo Institute for Economic Research
      Vol. 1, No. 3: February 28, 2001

      Publisher: Economics Research Institutes Papers
      a division of
      Social Science Electronic Publishing, Inc. (SSEP)
      and Social Science Research Network (SSRN)

      Editors: HELGE BERGER
      Research Director, CESifo (Center for Economic
      Studies and Ifo Institute for Economic Research)
      Senior Lecturer, University of Munich (LMU)
      Mailto:Berger@...

      HANS-WERNER SINN
      CEO, CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo
      Institute for Economic Research)
      President, Ifo; Director, CES; Professor of
      Economics and Public Finance, University of
      Munich, Center for Economic Studies
      Fellow, NBER
      Mailto:Sinn@...

      Copyright: SSEP, Inc. 2001. All rights reserved.

      Leading Social Science Research Delivered To Your Desktop
      http://www.SSRN.Com/

      INTRODUCING THE ECONOMICS RESEARCH INSTITUTES WORKING PAPERS
      SSRN is pleased to introduce the Economics Research Institute
      Working Paper Series which features papers from premier
      economics research centers throughout the world. Since the
      institutes support this journal series it is distributed to
      subscribers without charge, although some institutes do charge
      for downloads of electronic documents. To subscribe to this
      series, send a message to Mailto:Subscribe@...
      For subscriptions to other ERN journals see the URLs given at
      the bottom of this journal.

      SEARCHING THE SSRN ELECTRONIC LIBRARY
      To search the entire SSRN Electronic Library by author, title,
      JEL code, or full text of the abstracts in our database, please
      visit http://papers.ssrn.com/

      To browse all abstracts published in this journal, please visit
      http://www.ssrn.com/link/CESifo.html

      REDISTRIBUTION
      SSEP provides permission to redistribute single copies of this
      journal. No one may charge for redistribution, and the issue
      must be distributed in its entirety.

      SIGN OFF
      To stop delivery of one or more of the SSRN journals, write to
      Mailto:Remove@... Include the JOURNAL name or the NETWORK
      name or ALL in the subject line. If your address has changed, let
      us know by writing to Mailto:AddressChg@...

      ALIGNMENT
      If this document is misaligned, please set type face to a
      non-proportional font such as Courier 10.

      PAPER DOWNLOADS
      If you need assistance downloading papers from our web site,
      please contact Mailto:Support@...

      T A B L E of C O N T E N T S

      WORKING PAPERS

      "The Minimum Inflation Rate for Euroland"
      HANS-WERNER SINN
      CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo
      Institute for Economic Research)
      University of Munich, Center for Economic Studies
      NBER
      MICHAEL REUTTER
      University of Munich (LMU)
      Center for Economic Studies (CES)
      CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo
      Institute for Economic Research)

      "On the Analytics of the Dynamic Laffer Curve"
      JONAS AGELL
      Uppsala University
      Department of Economics
      CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo
      Institute for Economic Research)
      MATS PERSSON
      Stockholm University

      "Entrepreneurship in a Unionised Economy"
      VESA KANNIAINEN
      University of Helsinki
      Department of Economics
      CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo
      Institute for Economic Research)
      MIKKO LEPPAMAKI
      University of Helsinki
      Department of Economics

      "Neutral Technological Change and the Skill Premium"
      THOMAS MOUTOS
      Athens University of Economics and Business
      Department of Economics
      CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo
      Institute for Economic Research)

      S S R N I N F O R M A T I O N

      ACQUIRING PAPERS
      Download papers directly from the included web address or contact
      the author or other contact person directly. Provide an address
      to which the author or other contact person can send a paper
      copy and mention that you saw the abstract in SSRN.
      W O R K I N G P A P E R Abstracts

      "The Minimum Inflation Rate for Euroland"

      BY: HANS-WERNER SINN
      CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo
      Institute for Economic Research)
      University of Munich, Center for Economic Studies
      NBER
      MICHAEL REUTTER
      University of Munich (LMU)
      Center for Economic Studies (CES)
      CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo
      Institute for Economic Research)

      Document: Available from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection:
      http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=257777

      Other Electronic Document Delivery:
      http://www.CESifo.de
      SSRN only offers technical support for papers
      downloaded from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection
      location. When URLs wrap, you must copy and paste
      them into your browser eliminating all spaces.

      Paper ID: CESifo Working Paper Series No. 377
      Date: December 2000

      Contact: HANS-WERNER SINN
      Email: Mailto:Sinn@...
      Postal: CESifo (Center for Economic Studies and Ifo Institute for
      Economic Research)
      Poschinger Str. 5
      81679 Munich, GERMANY
      Phone: 49 (89) 9224 1276
      Fax: 49 (89) 9224 1409
      Co-Auth: MICHAEL REUTTER
      Email: Mailto:reutter@...-muenchen.de
      Postal: University of Munich (LMU)
      Center for Economic Studies (CES)
      Schackstr. 4
      80539 Munich, GERMANY

      ABSTRACT:
      As a result of the Balassa effect relative prices change rapidly
      between and within the euro countries. Thus it is impossible to
      find a common monetary policy that will result in price
      stability in all countries. Based on empirical estimates of the
      Balassa model, the paper calculates a minimum aggregate
      inflation rate which is compatible with the requirement that no
      country face a deflation. This minimum aggregate inflation rate
      is 0.94% in the euro-11 countries and 1.13% in an extended
      Europe which incorporates the east European countries.

      JEL Classification: E31, E52, E58
      ______________________________

      "On the Analytics of the Dynamic Laffer Curve"

      BY: JONAS AGELL
      Uppsala University
      Department of Economics

      http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=257795

      Other Electronic Document Delivery:
      http://www.cesifo.de
      SSRN only offers technical support for papers
      downloaded from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection
      location. When URLs wrap, you must copy and paste
      them into your browser eliminating all spaces.

      Paper ID: CESifo Working Paper Series No. 383
      Date: December 2000

      Contact: JONAS AGELL
      Email: Mailto:jonas.agell@...
      Postal: Uppsala University
      Department of Economics
      P.O. Box 513
      SE-751 20 Uppsala, SWEDEN
      Phone: +46 18 4711104
      Fax: +46 18 4711478
      Co-Auth: MATS PERSSON
      Email: Mailto:mats.persson@...
      Postal: Stockholm University
      106 91 Stockholm, SWEDEN

      ABSTRACT:
      In this paper, we analyze government budget balance within a
      simple model of endogenous growth. For the AK model, simple
      analytical conditions for a tax cut to be self-financing can be
      derived. The critical variable is not the tax rate per se, but
      the "transfer-adjusted" tax rate. We discuss some conceptual
      issues in dynamic revenue analysis, and we explain why previous
      studies have arrived at seemingly contradictory results.
      Finally, we perform an empirical study of the transfer-adjusted
      tax rates of the OECD countries to see which country has the
      highest potential for fiscal improvements; it turns out that
      only a few countries have any potential for such "dynamic
      scoring".

      scoring, growth models

      JEL Classification: E62, O41
      ______________________________

      "Entrepreneurship in a Unionised Economy"

      BY: VESA KANNIAINEN
      University of Helsinki
      Department of Economics

      http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=257788

      Other Electronic Document Delivery:
      http://www.CESifo.de
      SSRN only offers technical support for papers
      downloaded from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection
      location. When URLs wrap, you must copy and paste
      them into your browser eliminating all spaces.

      Paper ID: CESifo Working Paper Series No. 379
      Date: December 2000

      Contact: VESA KANNIAINEN
      Email: Mailto:econ@...
      Postal: University of Helsinki
      Department of Economics
      P.O. Box 54
      00014 Helsinki, FINLAND
      Phone: +358-0-9-1911
      Fax: +358-0-191-8877
      Co-Auth: MIKKO LEPPAMAKI
      Email: Mailto:mikko.leppamaki@...
      Postal: University of Helsinki
      Department of Economics
      P.O. Box 54
      00014 Helsinki, FINLAND

      ABSTRACT:
      This paper shows that labor market institutions are important
      for the formation of new enterprises. The effects of labor
      market institutions on entrepreneurship, wage determination, and
      firm size are analysed analytically and illustrated numerically.
      The main result is that an increase in union power reduces the
      equilibrium rate of entrepreneurship and reduces the average
      size of enterprises.

      occupational choice, unions

      JEL Classification: J23, J24, J51, M13
      ______________________________

      "Neutral Technological Change and the Skill Premium"

      BY: THOMAS MOUTOS

      http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=260020

      Other Electronic Document Delivery:
      http://www.CESifo.de
      SSRN only offers technical support for papers
      downloaded from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection
      location. When URLs wrap, you must copy and paste
      them into your browser eliminating all spaces.

      Paper ID: CESifo Working Paper Series No. 385
      Date: December 2000

      Contact: THOMAS MOUTOS
      Email: Mailto:tmoutos@...
      Postal: Athens University of Economics and Business
      Department of Economics
      PO Box 31912
      GR-10035 Athens, GREECE

      ABSTRACT:
      We construct a two sector general equilibrium model in which one
      sector produces a homogeneous good and the other sector produces
      a vertically differentiated good. We demonstrate that uniform
      (across sectors) and (Hicks) neutral technological change can
      cause an increase in the skill premium.

      products

      JEL Classification: E13, J31

      P A R T N E R S in P U B L I S H I N G
      Accepted or Recently Published Papers Abstracted in this Issue

      Please mention SSRN when subscribing to these journals.

      CESIFO WORKING PAPER SERIES
      Editors: Helge Berger and Hans-Werner Sinn
      Contact: Gertraud Porak
      Email: Mailto:porak@... or Mailto:office@...
      Postal: CESifo
      Poschinger Str. 5
      81679 Munich, Germany
      Phone: 0049 89 2180 2740
      Fax: 0049 89 397 303

      CESifo is a joint initiative of Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet
      and the Ifo Institute for Economic Research, Munich, Germany.
      For more information or for library hardcopies, please contact
      Mailto:office@...

      CLICKABLE EMAIL AND WEB ADDRESSES
      All email and web references in this journal are in a form that
      enables compliant email programs and web browsers to recognize
      them. This feature is supported by Claris Emailer 2.0, NetScape
      2.0 or higher, and Eudora 3.0. A reader with a compliant mailer
      can click on a web address to go directly to the paper's download
      web page or click on a Mailto address to obtain a pre-addressed
      email form. PLEASE IGNORE the "Mailto:" command preceding each
      email address when copying addresses directly into your mailer.

      A D M I N I S T R A T I V E I N F O R M A T I O N

      * Missing Issues and Change of Address

      Contact Mailto:Missing@... for missing issues, or
      Mailto:AddressChg@... for email address changes. We may
      not be aware of a problem unless you contact us.

      SSRN journals, you may be able to do so without charge by first
      checking to see if your institution currently has a site
      license.

      To do this please click on any of the following URLs.
      Instructions for joining the site are included on these pages.

      Accounting Research Network
      http://www.ssrn.com/update/arn/arn_site-licenses.html

      Economic Research Network
      http://www.ssrn.com/update/ern/ern_site-licenses.html

      Financial Economics Network
      http://www.ssrn.com/update/fen/fen_site-licenses.html

      Legal Scholarship Network
      http://www.ssrn.com/update/lsn/lsn_site-licenses.html

      Management Research Network (Forthcoming)

      If your institution or department is not listed as a site, we
      would be happy to work with you to set one up. Please contact
      mailto:site@... for more information.

      2. Individual membership (for those not covered by a site license)

      * Send an email message to
      Mailto:subscribe@...?body=subscribe
      which will return a subscription form
      OR
      * Complete our web subscription form at our secure site:

      FINANCIAL HARDSHIP:
      SSRN understands there is financial hardship in certain
      countries (for example the former Soviet Union and Eastern
      Bloc). If you are undergoing financial hardship and believe you
      cannot pay for a journal, please send a detailed explanation to
      Mailto:Subscribe@...

      Copyright 2001
      SSEP, Inc., all rights reserved.