Relative Humidity Altitude Adjustment

  • cornstoves
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008
      http://www.coolerado.com/ Humility is relative. Adjust for attitude.
      Humidity is also relative. RH must be adjusted for altitude. Check the
      charts to see the scientific measure for relative humidity. Sorry, the
      attitude and humility are not technically plotted however the human
      personal comfort zones are plotted relative to relative humidity.
      Relative Humidity is also relative to altitude or absolute pressure.
      Personal comfort zones vary with location, altitude, from winter to
      summer. Higher altitudes are more comfortable. Lower altitudes keep you
      under pressure. Higher altitudes take the pressure off. The series of
      psychrometric charts show the difference.
    • biomasselectricity
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
        Cut the heat bill in half by maintaining 50% RH.
        It takes twice the energy to heat moist air as is required to heat dry
        air at 50% RH. Dry air that escapes cost only half the cost of moist
        air that escapes the house.
        All houses leak when the door opens for egress. Some houses leak like
        an air filter with the door closed.
        Cut the heat bill in half if the room air is kept at 50% RH.

        The reason no one ever told you this is because, with conventional set
        point swinging temperature, the RH can not be controlled. Only the
        steady heat of a corn stove can control room RH. The corn stove must be
        run steadily for several days, up to two weeks, to stabalize the room
        moisture at the desired per cent relative humidity.

        And now you know why a corn stove will use so much fuel the first two
        weeks running at a warmer temperature. The corn stove may use as much
        fuel during damp warm weather as during cold dry weather. Thusly the
        frozen dry Northern locations save more energy than the southern damp
        locations. Frozen air is dry air.

        --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "cornstoves" <cornstoves@...> wrote:

        > http://www.coolerado.com/ Humility is relative. Adjust for attitude.
        > Humidity is also relative. RH must be adjusted for altitude. Check
        the
        > charts to see the scientific measure for relative humidity. Sorry,
        the
        > attitude and humility are not technically plotted however the human
        > personal comfort zones are plotted relative to relative humidity.
        > Relative Humidity is also relative to altitude or absolute pressure.
        > Personal comfort zones vary with location, altitude, from winter to
        > summer. Higher altitudes are more comfortable. Lower altitudes keep
        you
        > under pressure. Higher altitudes take the pressure off. The series
        of
        > psychrometric charts show the difference.

      • Hydro Wind Solar
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
          Only a TennesseeCornStove can Cut the heat bill in half by
          maintaining 50% RH.

          It takes twice the energy to heat moist air as is required to heat dry
          air at 50% RH. Dry air that escapes cost only half the cost of moist
          air that escapes the house. Notice the temperature of the room is
          not nearly as important to energy savings as is the relative humidity
          of the room air.
          All houses leak when the door opens for egress. Some houses leak like
          an air filter with the door and windows closed. If the room RH is 70%
          RH (normal in east Tennessee)-100% RH (rainy day every place on
          earth), the moist air is expensive air at any temperature.

          Cut the heat bill in half if the room air is kept at 50% RH because
          it cost half as much to heat the 50% RH air that leaks at any
          temperature as to heat 80% RH air to a lower temperature.

          In attempt to save heating fuel, many people double the heating
          bill. The correct but expensive sensation is to Boil water on the
          stove to make one feel warm. This expensive concept allows one to
          drop the room temperature and remain comfortable. The false
          perception is cost savings come if one drops the room temperature by
          adjusting the set point down to a lower temperature. Fact is, it
          takes double the energy to heat moist air to a low temperature than
          to heat dry air to a comfortable temperature. Expensive is the
          energy loss from high moisture in room air at any temperature. Hot
          air at 50% RH is relatively inexpensive (half the cost) of cold air
          at 70-100% RH. Don't tell me your room is always dry. On a rainy
          day, ambient air is 100% RH. Pressure pushed moisture.

          Moisture creeps inside the walls and inside the room every time the
          partial pressure of water in ambient air exceeds the partial
          pressure of moisture in the room air. Moisture creeps inside the
          walls from the inside the room any time the partial pressure of
          moisture inside the room exceeds the partial pressure of water vapour
          in ambient air. Unfortunately, the vapor barrier so diligently
          installed inside the wall is the greatest hinderance to dry
          insulaltion inside the wall. That explains why "experts" can not
          agree on whether to install the vapor barrier on the inside wall or
          on the exterior wall. The conformise and for ease of installation,
          the vapor barrier is installed on the inside wall upstairs but in
          reverse in a basement garage. Go Figure!! Every ask an "expert" to
          explain which is correctly installed, the wall vapor barrier or the
          garage vapor barrier??

          Conventional HVAC systems have set point temperature control and no
          method to control room relative humidity. With set point, the false
          perception may actually save energy because the room RH can not be
          dropped nor controlled with set point temp control. The only choice
          is to drop room temp to the lower end of the comfort level and freeze
          occupants to save on the energy bill.

          With conventional set point swinging room temperature plus or minus
          five degrees, the RH can not be controlled. Humidifiers and
          dehumidifiers are inadequate.
          Only the steady heat of a corn stove can control room RH. The corn
          stove must be
          run steadily for several days, up to two weeks, to stabalize the room
          moisture at the desired per cent relative humidity. If you take
          vacation in Janurary with the corn stove turned off, it will take a
          day or two to return room relative humidity to 50% RH. If you
          alternate between the corn stove and conventional HVAC, the 50% room
          RH may not be attainable unless the corn stove is run continuously
          for two weeks. Alternation of heating methods with conventional HVAC
          is counter productive and will reduce total cost savings. Don't be
          lazy. Feed the corn stove.

          Notice the corn stove will use more corn during the first two weeks
          of operation even though the weather is mild. After one week, one
          may notice a "moisture" shadow on the wall from nearby furnature.
          After two weeks of continuous corn stove operation, the shadow will
          disappear, the green lines of mold will disappear along crevices in
          the wall paper, and the wall color will become a lighter shade. The
          green lines are gone. The shadows are gone. The room rh should be 40-
          60% RH. To arrive at 50% RH from 60% RH, set the corn setting upward
          ever so slightly. Wait another day to see the RH stabalize at 50%
          rh. The reason for the waiting period is that the instrument to
          measure RH has about one hour time delay unless you dropped some
          major money on the purchase.

          And now you know why a corn stove will use so much fuel the first two
          weeks running even though the outside ambient may not be cold yet.
          Be patient. The savings will come as the moisture dries out inside
          the walls. THE "R" value of insulation is cut in half with each 10%
          rise in RH. The R20 you purchases is only R1 with 80% moisture inside
          the walls. The vapor barrier prevents moisture from escaping inside
          the wall. As the weather turns colder and the insulation becomes
          dry, the heat bill may only slightly increase even though the outside
          ambient temperature is very cold.
          The corn stove may use as much fuel during damp warm weather as
          during cold dry weather. Any corn stove will use more fuel the first
          two weeks of operation than later on after the wall insulation
          becomes dry and the room relative humidity reached 50% RH. Thusly the
          frozen dry Northern locations save more energy with a corn stove than
          the southern damp locations. Also notice, the first two months of air
          conditioning load in the summer will be less than previously. During
          the hot July weather, the walls are dry and the cooling load may be
          less than in May and June unless a corn stove already had the walls
          dried out inside.

          Frozen air is dry air because the moisture in the air is frozen
          rather than vaporized water or RH. Northern locations may experience
          excessively dry air during extended long cold spells because the
          ground is frozen, the air is frozen and there is little to no
          vaporized water in the atmosphere. The ground below the house
          becomes frozen. Ground moisture can be released in cold dry areas by
          running the corn stove exhaust beneath the house to prevent the
          ground from freezing.
          Benefits of running exhaust beneath the house are:
          a. Heat loss through the floor can be reduced from 40% of the total
          heat loss to a lesser amount.
          b. The heat prevents frozen ground below the house, dries the ground
          and releases vaporized ground moisture into the house, and makes 50%
          RH attainable even in the coldest and driest of locations.
          c. Exhaust heat is waste energy recouped for free energy. This
          concept should not be attempted unless corn is the fuel of choice.
          Corn effluents of CO and CO2 are 0.001 MMBTU as compared to 0.11 for
          unvented gas. CAUTION: Do not switch to wood pellets. Use corn
          exclusively if the exhaust is vented beneath the floor. Wood
          effluents may include sparks, solid particulate, and excessive CO &
          CO2. However, being heavier than air safely seeks ground level. An
          open fireplace burning wood will emit hundreds of times more
          effluents than either option mentioned above but the effluents safely
          seek ground level being heavier than air.

          I understand this article flies in the face of the false perceptions
          of conventional HVAC. HVAC systems never teach this RH control
          concept because HVAC can not control room temperature precisely and
          consistently for any extended period of two weeks as required to gain
          control of room RH

          Please reference a psychrometric chart for the ambient elevation of
          location to study and verify how effective RH Control is saving
          energy dollars. Ref www.coolada.com and visit the psychrometric
          charts for elevations of sea level (14.686 psia), 2500 ft , 5000 ft,
          and 7500 ft.

          Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome.