Maintain 50% Relative Humidity To Reduce Home Heat Loss

  • amaizablazecornstoves
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2008
      Heat conductance or resistance (R) to heat transfer doubles with each
      10% drop in relative humidity (RH) of most materials. A ceiling with
      a rating of R30 at 40%RH would be R15 at 50%RH or R7.5 at 60%RH or
      R3.75 at 70%RH. So R30 insulation is installed in the house but heat
      loss is equal to R4 if the relative humidity (RH) is 80%. Corn
      stoves are ideal for heating log homes because the steady temperature
      over two weeks time will improve the R value indicated. Green logs
      or logs with high RH will conduct heat to the outside. Dry logs
      become super insulators.

      > Does this concept explain why the corn stove will gradually use
      less and less fuel after running a few days even though the weather
      is getting colder?

      > > %RH Temp Dew Point
      >
      > > 100 60F 60F
      > > 90% 63F 60F
      > > 80% 66F 60F
      > > 75% 68F 60F
      > > 70% 70F 60F
      > > 60% 75F 60F
      > > 50% 80F 60F
      > > 50% 70F 50F

    • shelledcorn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 2008
        For a corn stove the room can maintain the specified relative
        humidity simply by holding the temperature steady at the following
        temperature. The relative humidity can be changed by simply bumping
        the room temperature to the value shown. This is assuming the dew
        point of the room air remains steady at 60 deg F.

        %RH Room Temp (deg F)
        100%RH 60F
        90%RH 63F
        80%RH 66F
        75%RH 68F
        70%RH 70F
        60%RH 75F
        50%RH 80F
        50%RH 70F if dew point is 50F instead of 60F

        At 50% RH, the room temperature could be held ten degrees less if the
        room air was dry enough to drop the room dew point from 60F to 50F.

        Conversly, boiling enough water on the stove to raise the dew point
        ten degrees would require the room temperature to be raised ten
        degrees to maintain 50% RH.

        Boiling water on the stove makes one feel warmer because the added
        moisture will increase the room RH. BUT boiling water on the stove to
        make one feel warm will WASTE ENERGY and INCREASE THE HEAT BILL. The
        same amount of energy that it took to boil the water will be lost to
        the outside when (not if) the moist warm air leaks outside.

        A corn stove is more efficient if it is not supplemented with set
        point heat. The 50%RH room air that leaks to the outside is low
        energy dry air. A room at 80% RH is leaking high energy air to the
        outside. Think about how much energy the stove takes to boil enough
        water to raise the rh to 80%. That's a lot of wasted energy.

        Maintain 50% RH with a corn stove. 50%RH is much more comfortable
        than a murky 80% to 90% RH. When 50% RH air is lost to the outside,
        there really isn't much energy lost at low RH.

        mymonavie.com/tinytom

        ______________
        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

      • wind solar
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 23, 2008
          To afford heat in an old leaky farm house, a leaky facility needs a
          corn stove. Dry air holds little energy and cost less to heat so if
          dry air all leaks out, it doesn't cost much to heat the dry air that
          got lost. It is no wonder how much we spent boiling hot water on the
          kitchen stove so we could cut the room temperature down thinking
          falsely we were saving money freezing to death.
          Unlike most professionals, the farmer that thought this up is
          outstanding in his field.

          --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "tinytom.com" <tinytomxs@...> wrote:

          > thanx for info. probably answers alot of my customer's
          > questions. tiny.
          > --- amaizablazecornstoves
          > <amaizablazecornstoves@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Two or Three degree temp increase will drop the RH
          > > 5% to 10%!! That's
          > > amaizing! So to get to 50% RH, just bump the temp
          > > slightly with a
          > > corn stove.
          > >
          > > So humidifiers and dehumidifiers are not needed with
          > > the corn stove.
          > > Simply adjust the temp slightly and the RH will
          > > automatically adjust.
          > >
          > > That's why RH can not be controlled with HVAC
          > > systems that are
          > > constantly swinging temperature about a set point.
          > > When the HVAC
          > > cycles off, as the temp cools down the RH swings up
          > > by 30%. When the
          > > HVAC cycles back on again, the RH swing 30% down
          > > again. Wonder what
          > > the RH swings do to human skin? Sinuses? Viruses?
          > > Germ propagation?
          > >
          > > My old HVAC swings the temp almost ten degrees at
          > > times. The RH
          > > would be swinging at least 30%!!!!
          > > No wonder we had a humidifier in one room and a
          > > dehumidifier in
          > > another room all running simultaneously!!
          > >
          > > Does this concept explain why the corn stove will
          > > gradually use less
          > > fuel after running a few days even though the
          > > weather is getting
          > > colder?
          > >
          > > > %RH Temp Dew Point
          > >
          > > > 100 60F 60F