Whole kernel shelled Corn is the low cost energy - Not Corn Ethanol

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
      Ken, Corn ethanol is a governmental sponsored tax waste project. We all
      know first hand on this forum that energy savings is in whole kernel
      shelled corn purchased directly from the local corn farm. Purchase a
      corn stove directly from a local corn stove dealer. Pellet stoves do
      not safely run on 100% corn but corn stoves will run on pellets with
      somewhat reduced safety. Non-corn fuels hazardously burn in an enclosed
      hopper. Corn does not.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
        > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
        > on corn?
        > Ken

        16. Corn Derivative Removes Mercury From Power Plant Emissions, By
        Environmental News Network, Wednesday, September 05, 2001, Located on
        a peninsula next to Lake Erie, this Niagara Mohawk coal-fired station
        produces 600,000 kilowatts of 60-cycle power — along with emissions
        containing mercury. corn may be the key. Illinois scientists are
        pleased with a successful full-scale test of a substance derived from
        corn in a demonstration of the process that took place July 30 through
        Aug. 12 at the University of Illinois Abbott Power Plant. The
        carbon-injection demonstration compared the performance of a
        commercial activated carbon with that of a corn-derived activated
        carbon developed by researchers at the Illinois State Geological
        Survey (ISGS) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
        "This full-scale test capped a five-year collaborative effort to
        develop low-cost adsorbents for the removal of mercury," said Massoud
        Rostam-Abadi, a chemical engineer and the head of energy and
        environmental engineering for the Illinois State Geological Survey.
        "The test also marked the first time the carbon-injection technology
        was applied to high-sulfur Illinois coal flue gas." Mercury is a
        toxic pollutant that can enter rivers, lakes, and the human food
        chain. Coal-fired power plants are one of the largest human-generated
        sources of mercury emissions. Rostam-Abadi and his team have been
        working for years to come up with low-cost, highly effective materials
        to remove mercury from combustion flue gases. Old tires and pistachio
        shells looked promising, but they were eclipsed by the potential of
        corn. "Earlier this year we worked with engineers from URS Radian in
        Austin, Texas, to look at the effectiveness of corn-based activated
        carbons for removing both elemental mercury and mercuric chloride from
        simulated coal combustion flue gases," Rostam-Abadi said. Initial
        tests indicated that activated carbon adsorbents made from corn could
        work as well as or better than current commercial products and might
        even be cheaper to produce. Then in May the researchers screened 13
        of their experimental adsorbents using actual flue gas from the Abbott
        Power Plant. Based on the results of those bench-scale tests, two
        activated carbons — a corn-based material and a commercial product —
        were selected for full-scale testing. "In the carbon-injection
        process, adsorbent particles are typically in contact with the flue
        gas for less than a few seconds," said Mark Rood, a University of
        Illinois professor of civil and environmental engineering. "Therefore,
        the most desirable adsorbent would have high reactivity and low cost."
        A team of engineers from Apogee Scientific in Denver and URS Radian
        worked with ISGS and University of Illinois engineers to conduct the
        full-scale tests at Abbott Power Plant, a 30-megawatt facility that
        burns high-sulfur Illinois coal. First, parametric testing and
        optimization were performed with the commercial carbon. Those results
        were then compared with results obtained with the corn-derived carbon.
        "One of the unique aspects of our program is going from laboratory
        development to pilot-scale testing and then to full-scale testing,"
        Rostam-Abadi said. "Few universities have that capability."
        Collaborators on the project included ISGS chemical engineer Scott
        Chen and UI graduate students Hsing-Cheng Hsi and Christopher Lehmann.
        Electric Power Research Institute, Illinois Clean Coal Institute,
        Illinois Office of Solid Waste Research, and Illinois Corn Marketing
        Board supported the research financially. Mercury is No. 3 on the
        federal government's list of the Top 20 hazardous substances, issued
        by the U.S. EPA and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
        Registry. The nervous system is very sensitive to all forms of
        mercury. The EPA has determined that mercuric chloride and methyl
        mercury are possible human carcinogens. Methyl mercury and metallic
        mercury vapors are more harmful than other forms because more mercury
        in these forms reaches the brain. Exposure to high levels of metallic,
        inorganic, or organic mercury can permanently damage the brain,
        kidneys, and developing fetus. Effects on brain functioning may result
        in irritability, shyness, tremors, changes in vision or hearing, and
        memory problems. Short-term exposure to high levels of metallic
        mercury vapors may cause effects including lung damage, nausea,
        vomiting, diarrhea, increases in blood pressure or heart rate, skin
        rashes, and eye irritation. In 1995 pilot tests by the German power
        company STEAG, the ISGS char captured 99.7 percent of the cancer
        causing dioxins and furans emitted by the incineration process. The
        char took up 90 percent of the cadmium and titanium and 50 to 75
        percent of the antimony, arsenic, lead, chromium, cobalt, copper,
        manganese, nickel, vanadium, and tin. Mercury was no longer detectable
        in the flue gas.