Corn is the low cost energy

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
      Ken is correct. Why take a perfectly good energy product, subject it
      to a chemical refinery process, waste about half the energy, use a
      significant amount of "other" energy during the process, and end up
      using only 2.8 gallons for every ten gallons to start with? The 2.8
      gallons will be 50% efficient at most.
      A corn stove utilizes the entire whole corn kernel with less than 2%
      waste. Washington would waste 98% and utilize 2%.

      --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

      > Cornstoves wrote:
      > > Will Big oil allow corn farms to profit from corn?
      > > Big oil ratchets oil prices as required to ruin out any
      competition.
      > > Any monopoly can do that without help. Big oil has government help.
      >
      > <gag> And "big corn" doesn't have government help? Corn/ethanol is
      one
      > of the biggest pork barrel rip offs ever!

    • Ken Meinken
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
        yellowcorvette4 wrote:
        > In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
        > other existing energy source.

        *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
        on corn? It sure would be more efficient than the ethanol conversion
        process (unless one considers government pork to be part of "efficiency").

        Ken
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
          Utilities with fuel escalation clauses would be required to reduce
          electrical rates if they switched to corn from coal. Utilities that
          trade Carbon credits would sacrafice the profit made from selling
          carbon credits if coal fuel were switched or blended with corn. The
          results of using corn fuel blends with corn are discussed and
          referenced in the archives (#100-300) herein. In short, German
          utilities and Ohio First Energy blended corn with coal. Effluents were
          reduced within EPA guidelines for clean coal combustion. Check the
          archine discussions for details.
          Recent coal mine tradegies, not unlike Iraq, are a tragic reminder of
          the hidden cost of coal and big oil on the public. Farms are also
          hazardous work places. The work environment of farm work and black
          lung can hardly be compared to working underground in a coal mine.

          --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

          > yellowcorvette4 wrote:
          > > In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
          > > other existing energy source.
          >
          > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power
          plants
          > on corn? It sure would be more efficient than the ethanol
          conversion
          > process (unless one considers government pork to be part
          of "efficiency").

          > Ken

        • yellowcorvette4
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
            Pleasure horses are subsidized by Big Brother? Somebody's gotta feed
            the party symbol, left? Elephants have a "right" larger appetite to
            fill than, well, male gennies or erh, hybrid horses.

            --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "millennium1000"
            <millennium1000@...> wrote:

            > Why does Government subsidize Lazy horses grazing grass hardly
            > energized to pull a plow? Replace each pleasure horse with two
            acres of
            > corn to heat four low income houses. --- In
            > cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Cornstoves wrote:
            > > > Will Big oil allow corn farms to profit from corn?
            > > > Big oil ratchets oil prices as required to ruin out any
            > competition.
            > > > Any monopoly can do that without help. Big oil has government
            help.

            > > <gag> And "big corn" doesn't have government help? Corn/ethanol
            is
            > one
            > > of the biggest pork barrel rip offs ever!

          • millennium1000
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 20, 2007
              Ken, What is Big Corn? --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
                Ken, Corn ethanol is a governmental sponsored tax waste project. We all
                know first hand on this forum that energy savings is in whole kernel
                shelled corn purchased directly from the local corn farm. Purchase a
                corn stove directly from a local corn stove dealer. Pellet stoves do
                not safely run on 100% corn but corn stoves will run on pellets with
                somewhat reduced safety. Non-corn fuels hazardously burn in an enclosed
                hopper. Corn does not.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
                  > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
                  > on corn?
                  > Ken

                  16. Corn Derivative Removes Mercury From Power Plant Emissions, By
                  Environmental News Network, Wednesday, September 05, 2001, Located on
                  a peninsula next to Lake Erie, this Niagara Mohawk coal-fired station
                  produces 600,000 kilowatts of 60-cycle power — along with emissions
                  containing mercury. corn may be the key. Illinois scientists are
                  pleased with a successful full-scale test of a substance derived from
                  corn in a demonstration of the process that took place July 30 through
                  Aug. 12 at the University of Illinois Abbott Power Plant. The
                  carbon-injection demonstration compared the performance of a
                  commercial activated carbon with that of a corn-derived activated
                  carbon developed by researchers at the Illinois State Geological
                  Survey (ISGS) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
                  "This full-scale test capped a five-year collaborative effort to
                  develop low-cost adsorbents for the removal of mercury," said Massoud
                  Rostam-Abadi, a chemical engineer and the head of energy and
                  environmental engineering for the Illinois State Geological Survey.
                  "The test also marked the first time the carbon-injection technology
                  was applied to high-sulfur Illinois coal flue gas." Mercury is a
                  toxic pollutant that can enter rivers, lakes, and the human food
                  chain. Coal-fired power plants are one of the largest human-generated
                  sources of mercury emissions. Rostam-Abadi and his team have been
                  working for years to come up with low-cost, highly effective materials
                  to remove mercury from combustion flue gases. Old tires and pistachio
                  shells looked promising, but they were eclipsed by the potential of
                  corn. "Earlier this year we worked with engineers from URS Radian in
                  Austin, Texas, to look at the effectiveness of corn-based activated
                  carbons for removing both elemental mercury and mercuric chloride from
                  simulated coal combustion flue gases," Rostam-Abadi said. Initial
                  tests indicated that activated carbon adsorbents made from corn could
                  work as well as or better than current commercial products and might
                  even be cheaper to produce. Then in May the researchers screened 13
                  of their experimental adsorbents using actual flue gas from the Abbott
                  Power Plant. Based on the results of those bench-scale tests, two
                  activated carbons — a corn-based material and a commercial product —
                  were selected for full-scale testing. "In the carbon-injection
                  process, adsorbent particles are typically in contact with the flue
                  gas for less than a few seconds," said Mark Rood, a University of
                  Illinois professor of civil and environmental engineering. "Therefore,
                  the most desirable adsorbent would have high reactivity and low cost."
                  A team of engineers from Apogee Scientific in Denver and URS Radian
                  worked with ISGS and University of Illinois engineers to conduct the
                  full-scale tests at Abbott Power Plant, a 30-megawatt facility that
                  burns high-sulfur Illinois coal. First, parametric testing and
                  optimization were performed with the commercial carbon. Those results
                  were then compared with results obtained with the corn-derived carbon.
                  "One of the unique aspects of our program is going from laboratory
                  development to pilot-scale testing and then to full-scale testing,"
                  Rostam-Abadi said. "Few universities have that capability."
                  Collaborators on the project included ISGS chemical engineer Scott
                  Chen and UI graduate students Hsing-Cheng Hsi and Christopher Lehmann.
                  Electric Power Research Institute, Illinois Clean Coal Institute,
                  Illinois Office of Solid Waste Research, and Illinois Corn Marketing
                  Board supported the research financially. Mercury is No. 3 on the
                  federal government's list of the Top 20 hazardous substances, issued
                  by the U.S. EPA and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
                  Registry. The nervous system is very sensitive to all forms of
                  mercury. The EPA has determined that mercuric chloride and methyl
                  mercury are possible human carcinogens. Methyl mercury and metallic
                  mercury vapors are more harmful than other forms because more mercury
                  in these forms reaches the brain. Exposure to high levels of metallic,
                  inorganic, or organic mercury can permanently damage the brain,
                  kidneys, and developing fetus. Effects on brain functioning may result
                  in irritability, shyness, tremors, changes in vision or hearing, and
                  memory problems. Short-term exposure to high levels of metallic
                  mercury vapors may cause effects including lung damage, nausea,
                  vomiting, diarrhea, increases in blood pressure or heart rate, skin
                  rashes, and eye irritation. In 1995 pilot tests by the German power
                  company STEAG, the ISGS char captured 99.7 percent of the cancer
                  causing dioxins and furans emitted by the incineration process. The
                  char took up 90 percent of the cadmium and titanium and 50 to 75
                  percent of the antimony, arsenic, lead, chromium, cobalt, copper,
                  manganese, nickel, vanadium, and tin. Mercury was no longer detectable
                  in the flue gas.