Corn is the low cost energy

  • millennium1000
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
      Don't forget the lush governmental subsidies to corn farms. The
      $2/bushel USDA support price to corn farms guarantees participating
      corn farms at least $2/bushel for qualified corn production. Wow! The
      government should do very well purchasing corn from farms at $2/bu and
      selling it for what we gladly pay for local grown corn!!! OOPs! Don't
      ignor the word "qualified farms". A participating qualified farm must
      jump through the governmental paper works to qualify to sell corn to
      the government at $2/bushel. Perhaps we should volunteer to "fill out
      the paper works" for corn stoves!!!

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
        Ken is correct. Why take a perfectly good energy product, subject it
        to a chemical refinery process, waste about half the energy, use a
        significant amount of "other" energy during the process, and end up
        using only 2.8 gallons for every ten gallons to start with? The 2.8
        gallons will be 50% efficient at most.
        A corn stove utilizes the entire whole corn kernel with less than 2%
        waste. Washington would waste 98% and utilize 2%.

        --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

        > Cornstoves wrote:
        > > Will Big oil allow corn farms to profit from corn?
        > > Big oil ratchets oil prices as required to ruin out any
        competition.
        > > Any monopoly can do that without help. Big oil has government help.
        >
        > <gag> And "big corn" doesn't have government help? Corn/ethanol is
        one
        > of the biggest pork barrel rip offs ever!

      • Ken Meinken
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
          yellowcorvette4 wrote:
          > In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
          > other existing energy source.

          *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
          on corn? It sure would be more efficient than the ethanol conversion
          process (unless one considers government pork to be part of "efficiency").

          Ken
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
            Utilities with fuel escalation clauses would be required to reduce
            electrical rates if they switched to corn from coal. Utilities that
            trade Carbon credits would sacrafice the profit made from selling
            carbon credits if coal fuel were switched or blended with corn. The
            results of using corn fuel blends with corn are discussed and
            referenced in the archives (#100-300) herein. In short, German
            utilities and Ohio First Energy blended corn with coal. Effluents were
            reduced within EPA guidelines for clean coal combustion. Check the
            archine discussions for details.
            Recent coal mine tradegies, not unlike Iraq, are a tragic reminder of
            the hidden cost of coal and big oil on the public. Farms are also
            hazardous work places. The work environment of farm work and black
            lung can hardly be compared to working underground in a coal mine.

            --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

            > yellowcorvette4 wrote:
            > > In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
            > > other existing energy source.
            >
            > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power
            plants
            > on corn? It sure would be more efficient than the ethanol
            conversion
            > process (unless one considers government pork to be part
            of "efficiency").

            > Ken

          • yellowcorvette4
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
              Pleasure horses are subsidized by Big Brother? Somebody's gotta feed
              the party symbol, left? Elephants have a "right" larger appetite to
              fill than, well, male gennies or erh, hybrid horses.

              --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "millennium1000"

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 20, 2007
                Ken, What is Big Corn? --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Ken, Corn ethanol is a governmental sponsored tax waste project. We all
                  know first hand on this forum that energy savings is in whole kernel
                  shelled corn purchased directly from the local corn farm. Purchase a
                  corn stove directly from a local corn stove dealer. Pellet stoves do
                  not safely run on 100% corn but corn stoves will run on pellets with
                  somewhat reduced safety. Non-corn fuels hazardously burn in an enclosed
                  hopper. Corn does not.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
                    > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
                    > on corn?
                    > Ken

                    16. Corn Derivative Removes Mercury From Power Plant Emissions, By
                    Environmental News Network, Wednesday, September 05, 2001, Located on
                    a peninsula next to Lake Erie, this Niagara Mohawk coal-fired station
                    produces 600,000 kilowatts of 60-cycle power — along with emissions
                    containing mercury. corn may be the key. Illinois scientists are
                    pleased with a successful full-scale test of a substance derived from
                    corn in a demonstration of the process that took place July 30 through
                    Aug. 12 at the University of Illinois Abbott Power Plant. The
                    carbon-injection demonstration compared the performance of a
                    commercial activated carbon with that of a corn-derived activated
                    carbon developed by researchers at the Illinois State Geological
                    Survey (ISGS) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
                    "This full-scale test capped a five-year collaborative effort to
                    develop low-cost adsorbents for the removal of mercury," said Massoud
                    Rostam-Abadi, a chemical engineer and the head of energy and
                    environmental engineering for the Illinois State Geological Survey.
                    "The test also marked the first time the carbon-injection technology
                    was applied to high-sulfur Illinois coal flue gas." Mercury is a
                    toxic pollutant that can enter rivers, lakes, and the human food
                    chain. Coal-fired power plants are one of the largest human-generated
                    sources of mercury emissions. Rostam-Abadi and his team have been
                    working for years to come up with low-cost, highly effective materials
                    to remove mercury from combustion flue gases. Old tires and pistachio
                    shells looked promising, but they were eclipsed by the potential of
                    corn. "Earlier this year we worked with engineers from URS Radian in
                    Austin, Texas, to look at the effectiveness of corn-based activated
                    carbons for removing both elemental mercury and mercuric chloride from
                    simulated coal combustion flue gases," Rostam-Abadi said. Initial
                    tests indicated that activated carbon adsorbents made from corn could
                    work as well as or better than current commercial products and might
                    even be cheaper to produce. Then in May the researchers screened 13
                    of their experimental adsorbents using actual flue gas from the Abbott
                    Power Plant. Based on the results of those bench-scale tests, two
                    activated carbons — a corn-based material and a commercial product —
                    were selected for full-scale testing. "In the carbon-injection
                    process, adsorbent particles are typically in contact with the flue
                    gas for less than a few seconds," said Mark Rood, a University of
                    Illinois professor of civil and environmental engineering. "Therefore,
                    the most desirable adsorbent would have high reactivity and low cost."
                    A team of engineers from Apogee Scientific in Denver and URS Radian
                    worked with ISGS and University of Illinois engineers to conduct the
                    full-scale tests at Abbott Power Plant, a 30-megawatt facility that
                    burns high-sulfur Illinois coal. First, parametric testing and
                    optimization were performed with the commercial carbon. Those results
                    were then compared with results obtained with the corn-derived carbon.
                    "One of the unique aspects of our program is going from laboratory
                    development to pilot-scale testing and then to full-scale testing,"
                    Rostam-Abadi said. "Few universities have that capability."
                    Collaborators on the project included ISGS chemical engineer Scott
                    Chen and UI graduate students Hsing-Cheng Hsi and Christopher Lehmann.
                    Electric Power Research Institute, Illinois Clean Coal Institute,
                    Illinois Office of Solid Waste Research, and Illinois Corn Marketing
                    Board supported the research financially. Mercury is No. 3 on the
                    federal government's list of the Top 20 hazardous substances, issued
                    by the U.S. EPA and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
                    Registry. The nervous system is very sensitive to all forms of
                    mercury. The EPA has determined that mercuric chloride and methyl
                    mercury are possible human carcinogens. Methyl mercury and metallic
                    mercury vapors are more harmful than other forms because more mercury
                    in these forms reaches the brain. Exposure to high levels of metallic,
                    inorganic, or organic mercury can permanently damage the brain,
                    kidneys, and developing fetus. Effects on brain functioning may result
                    in irritability, shyness, tremors, changes in vision or hearing, and
                    memory problems. Short-term exposure to high levels of metallic
                    mercury vapors may cause effects including lung damage, nausea,
                    vomiting, diarrhea, increases in blood pressure or heart rate, skin
                    rashes, and eye irritation. In 1995 pilot tests by the German power
                    company STEAG, the ISGS char captured 99.7 percent of the cancer
                    causing dioxins and furans emitted by the incineration process. The
                    char took up 90 percent of the cadmium and titanium and 50 to 75
                    percent of the antimony, arsenic, lead, chromium, cobalt, copper,
                    manganese, nickel, vanadium, and tin. Mercury was no longer detectable
                    in the flue gas.