Corn is the low cost energy

  • yellowcorvette4
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
      Ken, Only half the $1/gal tax credit for diesel, The government blend
      tax credit of 51 cents/gallon through 2010 for 6 billion gallons corn
      ethanol this year and 12 billion gallons each future year is
      projected from newly constructed EPA approved corn ethanol
      refineries. Thanks to Congress, none of the twenty year Old Big Oil
      refineries need meet the New Source EPA rules.
      The $0.46/gal tariff for Brazillian corn ethanol imported into the US
      is near equal the 51C/gal tax credit.
      In any event, corn squeezings cost less than oil seeping outta
      ground. In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
      other existing energy source.

      --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

      > Cornstoves wrote:
      > > Will Big oil allow corn farms to profit from corn?
      > > Big oil ratchets oil prices as required to ruin out any
      competition.
      > > Any monopoly can do that without help. Big oil has government
      help.

      > <gag> And "big corn" doesn't have government help? Corn/ethanol
      is one
      > of the biggest pork barrel rip offs ever!

    • millennium1000
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
        Don't forget the lush governmental subsidies to corn farms. The
        $2/bushel USDA support price to corn farms guarantees participating
        corn farms at least $2/bushel for qualified corn production. Wow! The
        government should do very well purchasing corn from farms at $2/bu and
        selling it for what we gladly pay for local grown corn!!! OOPs! Don't
        ignor the word "qualified farms". A participating qualified farm must
        jump through the governmental paper works to qualify to sell corn to
        the government at $2/bushel. Perhaps we should volunteer to "fill out
        the paper works" for corn stoves!!!

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
          Ken is correct. Why take a perfectly good energy product, subject it
          to a chemical refinery process, waste about half the energy, use a
          significant amount of "other" energy during the process, and end up
          using only 2.8 gallons for every ten gallons to start with? The 2.8
          gallons will be 50% efficient at most.
          A corn stove utilizes the entire whole corn kernel with less than 2%
          waste. Washington would waste 98% and utilize 2%.

          --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

          > Cornstoves wrote:
          > > Will Big oil allow corn farms to profit from corn?
          > > Big oil ratchets oil prices as required to ruin out any
          competition.
          > > Any monopoly can do that without help. Big oil has government help.
          >
          > <gag> And "big corn" doesn't have government help? Corn/ethanol is
          one
          > of the biggest pork barrel rip offs ever!

        • Ken Meinken
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
            yellowcorvette4 wrote:
            > In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
            > other existing energy source.

            *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
            on corn? It sure would be more efficient than the ethanol conversion
            process (unless one considers government pork to be part of "efficiency").

            Ken
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
              Utilities with fuel escalation clauses would be required to reduce
              electrical rates if they switched to corn from coal. Utilities that
              trade Carbon credits would sacrafice the profit made from selling
              carbon credits if coal fuel were switched or blended with corn. The
              results of using corn fuel blends with corn are discussed and
              referenced in the archives (#100-300) herein. In short, German
              utilities and Ohio First Energy blended corn with coal. Effluents were
              reduced within EPA guidelines for clean coal combustion. Check the
              archine discussions for details.
              Recent coal mine tradegies, not unlike Iraq, are a tragic reminder of
              the hidden cost of coal and big oil on the public. Farms are also
              hazardous work places. The work environment of farm work and black
              lung can hardly be compared to working underground in a coal mine.

              --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

              > yellowcorvette4 wrote:
              > > In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
              > > other existing energy source.
              >
              > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power
              plants
              > on corn? It sure would be more efficient than the ethanol
              conversion
              > process (unless one considers government pork to be part
              of "efficiency").

              > Ken

            • yellowcorvette4
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
                Pleasure horses are subsidized by Big Brother? Somebody's gotta feed
                the party symbol, left? Elephants have a "right" larger appetite to
                fill than, well, male gennies or erh, hybrid horses.

                --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "millennium1000"

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 20, 2007
                  Ken, What is Big Corn? --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
                    Ken, Corn ethanol is a governmental sponsored tax waste project. We all
                    know first hand on this forum that energy savings is in whole kernel
                    shelled corn purchased directly from the local corn farm. Purchase a
                    corn stove directly from a local corn stove dealer. Pellet stoves do
                    not safely run on 100% corn but corn stoves will run on pellets with
                    somewhat reduced safety. Non-corn fuels hazardously burn in an enclosed
                    hopper. Corn does not.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
                      > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
                      > on corn?
                      > Ken

                      16. Corn Derivative Removes Mercury From Power Plant Emissions, By
                      Environmental News Network, Wednesday, September 05, 2001, Located on
                      a peninsula next to Lake Erie, this Niagara Mohawk coal-fired station
                      produces 600,000 kilowatts of 60-cycle power — along with emissions
                      containing mercury. corn may be the key. Illinois scientists are
                      pleased with a successful full-scale test of a substance derived from
                      corn in a demonstration of the process that took place July 30 through
                      Aug. 12 at the University of Illinois Abbott Power Plant. The
                      carbon-injection demonstration compared the performance of a
                      commercial activated carbon with that of a corn-derived activated
                      carbon developed by researchers at the Illinois State Geological
                      Survey (ISGS) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
                      "This full-scale test capped a five-year collaborative effort to
                      develop low-cost adsorbents for the removal of mercury," said Massoud
                      Rostam-Abadi, a chemical engineer and the head of energy and
                      environmental engineering for the Illinois State Geological Survey.
                      "The test also marked the first time the carbon-injection technology
                      was applied to high-sulfur Illinois coal flue gas." Mercury is a
                      toxic pollutant that can enter rivers, lakes, and the human food
                      chain. Coal-fired power plants are one of the largest human-generated
                      sources of mercury emissions. Rostam-Abadi and his team have been
                      working for years to come up with low-cost, highly effective materials
                      to remove mercury from combustion flue gases. Old tires and pistachio
                      shells looked promising, but they were eclipsed by the potential of
                      corn. "Earlier this year we worked with engineers from URS Radian in
                      Austin, Texas, to look at the effectiveness of corn-based activated
                      carbons for removing both elemental mercury and mercuric chloride from
                      simulated coal combustion flue gases," Rostam-Abadi said. Initial
                      tests indicated that activated carbon adsorbents made from corn could
                      work as well as or better than current commercial products and might
                      even be cheaper to produce. Then in May the researchers screened 13
                      of their experimental adsorbents using actual flue gas from the Abbott
                      Power Plant. Based on the results of those bench-scale tests, two
                      activated carbons — a corn-based material and a commercial product —
                      were selected for full-scale testing. "In the carbon-injection
                      process, adsorbent particles are typically in contact with the flue
                      gas for less than a few seconds," said Mark Rood, a University of
                      Illinois professor of civil and environmental engineering. "Therefore,
                      the most desirable adsorbent would have high reactivity and low cost."
                      A team of engineers from Apogee Scientific in Denver and URS Radian
                      worked with ISGS and University of Illinois engineers to conduct the
                      full-scale tests at Abbott Power Plant, a 30-megawatt facility that
                      burns high-sulfur Illinois coal. First, parametric testing and
                      optimization were performed with the commercial carbon. Those results
                      were then compared with results obtained with the corn-derived carbon.
                      "One of the unique aspects of our program is going from laboratory
                      development to pilot-scale testing and then to full-scale testing,"
                      Rostam-Abadi said. "Few universities have that capability."
                      Collaborators on the project included ISGS chemical engineer Scott
                      Chen and UI graduate students Hsing-Cheng Hsi and Christopher Lehmann.
                      Electric Power Research Institute, Illinois Clean Coal Institute,
                      Illinois Office of Solid Waste Research, and Illinois Corn Marketing
                      Board supported the research financially. Mercury is No. 3 on the
                      federal government's list of the Top 20 hazardous substances, issued
                      by the U.S. EPA and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
                      Registry. The nervous system is very sensitive to all forms of
                      mercury. The EPA has determined that mercuric chloride and methyl
                      mercury are possible human carcinogens. Methyl mercury and metallic
                      mercury vapors are more harmful than other forms because more mercury
                      in these forms reaches the brain. Exposure to high levels of metallic,
                      inorganic, or organic mercury can permanently damage the brain,
                      kidneys, and developing fetus. Effects on brain functioning may result
                      in irritability, shyness, tremors, changes in vision or hearing, and
                      memory problems. Short-term exposure to high levels of metallic
                      mercury vapors may cause effects including lung damage, nausea,
                      vomiting, diarrhea, increases in blood pressure or heart rate, skin
                      rashes, and eye irritation. In 1995 pilot tests by the German power
                      company STEAG, the ISGS char captured 99.7 percent of the cancer
                      causing dioxins and furans emitted by the incineration process. The
                      char took up 90 percent of the cadmium and titanium and 50 to 75
                      percent of the antimony, arsenic, lead, chromium, cobalt, copper,
                      manganese, nickel, vanadium, and tin. Mercury was no longer detectable
                      in the flue gas.