Corn is the low cost energy

  • yellowcorvette4
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
      Ken, Only half the $1/gal tax credit for diesel, The government blend
      tax credit of 51 cents/gallon through 2010 for 6 billion gallons corn
      ethanol this year and 12 billion gallons each future year is
      projected from newly constructed EPA approved corn ethanol
      refineries. Thanks to Congress, none of the twenty year Old Big Oil
      refineries need meet the New Source EPA rules.
      The $0.46/gal tariff for Brazillian corn ethanol imported into the US
      is near equal the 51C/gal tax credit.
      In any event, corn squeezings cost less than oil seeping outta
      ground. In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
      other existing energy source.

      --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

      > Cornstoves wrote:
      > > Will Big oil allow corn farms to profit from corn?
      > > Big oil ratchets oil prices as required to ruin out any
      competition.
      > > Any monopoly can do that without help. Big oil has government
      help.

      > <gag> And "big corn" doesn't have government help? Corn/ethanol
      is one
      > of the biggest pork barrel rip offs ever!

    • millennium1000
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
        Don't forget the lush governmental subsidies to corn farms. The
        $2/bushel USDA support price to corn farms guarantees participating
        corn farms at least $2/bushel for qualified corn production. Wow! The
        government should do very well purchasing corn from farms at $2/bu and
        selling it for what we gladly pay for local grown corn!!! OOPs! Don't
        ignor the word "qualified farms". A participating qualified farm must
        jump through the governmental paper works to qualify to sell corn to
        the government at $2/bushel. Perhaps we should volunteer to "fill out
        the paper works" for corn stoves!!!

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
          Why does Government subsidize Lazy horses grazing grass hardly
          energized to pull a plow? Replace each pleasure horse with two acres of
          corn to heat four low income houses. --- In

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
            Ken is correct. Why take a perfectly good energy product, subject it
            to a chemical refinery process, waste about half the energy, use a
            significant amount of "other" energy during the process, and end up
            using only 2.8 gallons for every ten gallons to start with? The 2.8
            gallons will be 50% efficient at most.
            A corn stove utilizes the entire whole corn kernel with less than 2%
            waste. Washington would waste 98% and utilize 2%.

            --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

            > Cornstoves wrote:
            > > Will Big oil allow corn farms to profit from corn?
            > > Big oil ratchets oil prices as required to ruin out any
            competition.
            > > Any monopoly can do that without help. Big oil has government help.
            >
            > <gag> And "big corn" doesn't have government help? Corn/ethanol is
            one
            > of the biggest pork barrel rip offs ever!

          • Ken Meinken
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
              yellowcorvette4 wrote:
              > In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
              > other existing energy source.

              *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
              on corn? It sure would be more efficient than the ethanol conversion
              process (unless one considers government pork to be part of "efficiency").

              Ken
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
                Utilities with fuel escalation clauses would be required to reduce
                electrical rates if they switched to corn from coal. Utilities that
                trade Carbon credits would sacrafice the profit made from selling
                carbon credits if coal fuel were switched or blended with corn. The
                results of using corn fuel blends with corn are discussed and
                referenced in the archives (#100-300) herein. In short, German
                utilities and Ohio First Energy blended corn with coal. Effluents were
                reduced within EPA guidelines for clean coal combustion. Check the
                archine discussions for details.
                Recent coal mine tradegies, not unlike Iraq, are a tragic reminder of
                the hidden cost of coal and big oil on the public. Farms are also
                hazardous work places. The work environment of farm work and black
                lung can hardly be compared to working underground in a coal mine.

                --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

                > yellowcorvette4 wrote:
                > > In all events, whole kernel shelled corn cost less than any
                > > other existing energy source.
                >
                > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power
                plants
                > on corn? It sure would be more efficient than the ethanol
                conversion
                > process (unless one considers government pork to be part
                of "efficiency").

                > Ken

              • yellowcorvette4
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 17, 2007
                  Pleasure horses are subsidized by Big Brother? Somebody's gotta feed
                  the party symbol, left? Elephants have a "right" larger appetite to
                  fill than, well, male gennies or erh, hybrid horses.

                  --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "millennium1000"

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 20, 2007
                    Ken, What is Big Corn? --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2007
                      Ken, Corn ethanol is a governmental sponsored tax waste project. We all
                      know first hand on this forum that energy savings is in whole kernel
                      shelled corn purchased directly from the local corn farm. Purchase a
                      corn stove directly from a local corn stove dealer. Pellet stoves do
                      not safely run on 100% corn but corn stoves will run on pellets with
                      somewhat reduced safety. Non-corn fuels hazardously burn in an enclosed
                      hopper. Corn does not.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
                        > *IF* that is true, then how come they don't start running power plants
                        > on corn?
                        > Ken

                        16. Corn Derivative Removes Mercury From Power Plant Emissions, By
                        Environmental News Network, Wednesday, September 05, 2001, Located on
                        a peninsula next to Lake Erie, this Niagara Mohawk coal-fired station
                        produces 600,000 kilowatts of 60-cycle power — along with emissions
                        containing mercury. corn may be the key. Illinois scientists are
                        pleased with a successful full-scale test of a substance derived from
                        corn in a demonstration of the process that took place July 30 through
                        Aug. 12 at the University of Illinois Abbott Power Plant. The
                        carbon-injection demonstration compared the performance of a
                        commercial activated carbon with that of a corn-derived activated
                        carbon developed by researchers at the Illinois State Geological
                        Survey (ISGS) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
                        "This full-scale test capped a five-year collaborative effort to
                        develop low-cost adsorbents for the removal of mercury," said Massoud
                        Rostam-Abadi, a chemical engineer and the head of energy and
                        environmental engineering for the Illinois State Geological Survey.
                        "The test also marked the first time the carbon-injection technology
                        was applied to high-sulfur Illinois coal flue gas." Mercury is a
                        toxic pollutant that can enter rivers, lakes, and the human food
                        chain. Coal-fired power plants are one of the largest human-generated
                        sources of mercury emissions. Rostam-Abadi and his team have been
                        working for years to come up with low-cost, highly effective materials
                        to remove mercury from combustion flue gases. Old tires and pistachio
                        shells looked promising, but they were eclipsed by the potential of
                        corn. "Earlier this year we worked with engineers from URS Radian in
                        Austin, Texas, to look at the effectiveness of corn-based activated
                        carbons for removing both elemental mercury and mercuric chloride from
                        simulated coal combustion flue gases," Rostam-Abadi said. Initial
                        tests indicated that activated carbon adsorbents made from corn could
                        work as well as or better than current commercial products and might
                        even be cheaper to produce. Then in May the researchers screened 13
                        of their experimental adsorbents using actual flue gas from the Abbott
                        Power Plant. Based on the results of those bench-scale tests, two
                        activated carbons — a corn-based material and a commercial product —
                        were selected for full-scale testing. "In the carbon-injection
                        process, adsorbent particles are typically in contact with the flue
                        gas for less than a few seconds," said Mark Rood, a University of
                        Illinois professor of civil and environmental engineering. "Therefore,
                        the most desirable adsorbent would have high reactivity and low cost."
                        A team of engineers from Apogee Scientific in Denver and URS Radian
                        worked with ISGS and University of Illinois engineers to conduct the
                        full-scale tests at Abbott Power Plant, a 30-megawatt facility that
                        burns high-sulfur Illinois coal. First, parametric testing and
                        optimization were performed with the commercial carbon. Those results
                        were then compared with results obtained with the corn-derived carbon.
                        "One of the unique aspects of our program is going from laboratory
                        development to pilot-scale testing and then to full-scale testing,"
                        Rostam-Abadi said. "Few universities have that capability."
                        Collaborators on the project included ISGS chemical engineer Scott
                        Chen and UI graduate students Hsing-Cheng Hsi and Christopher Lehmann.
                        Electric Power Research Institute, Illinois Clean Coal Institute,
                        Illinois Office of Solid Waste Research, and Illinois Corn Marketing
                        Board supported the research financially. Mercury is No. 3 on the
                        federal government's list of the Top 20 hazardous substances, issued
                        by the U.S. EPA and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
                        Registry. The nervous system is very sensitive to all forms of
                        mercury. The EPA has determined that mercuric chloride and methyl
                        mercury are possible human carcinogens. Methyl mercury and metallic
                        mercury vapors are more harmful than other forms because more mercury
                        in these forms reaches the brain. Exposure to high levels of metallic,
                        inorganic, or organic mercury can permanently damage the brain,
                        kidneys, and developing fetus. Effects on brain functioning may result
                        in irritability, shyness, tremors, changes in vision or hearing, and
                        memory problems. Short-term exposure to high levels of metallic
                        mercury vapors may cause effects including lung damage, nausea,
                        vomiting, diarrhea, increases in blood pressure or heart rate, skin
                        rashes, and eye irritation. In 1995 pilot tests by the German power
                        company STEAG, the ISGS char captured 99.7 percent of the cancer
                        causing dioxins and furans emitted by the incineration process. The
                        char took up 90 percent of the cadmium and titanium and 50 to 75
                        percent of the antimony, arsenic, lead, chromium, cobalt, copper,
                        manganese, nickel, vanadium, and tin. Mercury was no longer detectable
                        in the flue gas.