Re: Pellet Stove Fuel

  • jowensjowens
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2007
      --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "tennesseecornstoves"
      <tennesseecornstoves@...> wrote:

      > Pellets are not necessarily made from wood but are now being made
      from
      > trash. The process uses a Windex machine to pulverize trash, feed
      > trash into a pellet machine, bag trash, and market as pellets. The
      > process was initially used to clean up Katrina at NO. The maximum
      BTU
      > value is listed at around 7000 BTU/#.

      Is the supply container (bag,box,ect.)required to state its contents?
      Are thier any precautions used to prevent plastics and other toxic
      materials from entering the mix?
    • yellowcorvette4
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2007
        Just use corn. Great question: Yes a pellet container (bag,box,ect.)is
        required to state its contents? A pellet is loosely defined and the
        content is loosely controlled. Ever read the contents of a hot dog or a
        humburger and compare the stated contents with the allowable
        ingredients?
        The content of corn is consistent with little profit to gain from
        squiggle.

        Are there any precautions used to prevent plastics and other toxic
        materials from entering the pellet mix? Industrial standards, local,
        state, and federal law. I know of no specific laws controlling pellet
        content. A pellet may contain anything from perscription medicine,
        heating fuel, illegal ingredients, trash. Call it wood if any type
        tree, bush, or shrub were totally pulverized with leaves, roots, vines,
        branches. A pulverized live whole chicken meets the technical
        description for ingredients included in a chicken hot dog. There is no
        law to prevent serving a whole fish, whole duck, or chicken for food.
        The wood pellet pulverizer supposedly pulverizes and kills germs too.
      • yellowcorvette4
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
          A farm's Good clean whole kernel shelled corn is often docked at the mill market. A
          dock is a price reduction to account for the excess weight of moisture,
          dust, fines, etc.
          Corn stove customers purchase local farm corn by the bushel in volume rather than by weight. Weight of moisture does not influence
          the volume contained in a bushel of corn. The farmer gets full pay for a bushel of corn in volume. The local corn stove customer gets good measure in a bushel of corn by volume. Small amounts of refuse in corn affects the BTU value of the bushel less than 1% by volume. Corm moisture in fuel corn equates to water injection power plants use to improve burner efficiency and reduce stack effluents. Professors calculate heat loss to evaporate moisture but often fail to account for the offset in powerful nitrous oxide which performs wery well at the local drag strip.
          Wood pellets are sold by weight in compliance with laws in some
          states. Purchase heating fuel from a trustworthy supplier that
          controls the content of the package. Extensive legislation failed to
          control the content of human food products like hot dogs and
          hamburgers. PAC money gets food and pellets packaged by professionals with turf to protect. PAC money does not affect the BTU value of corn.

          By weight corn can have 15-20% moisture and 10-20% non-corn products
          like cotton, wheat, supplement, rice. Pellets are sold by weight.
          Pellet machines are locally available in uncontrolled atmospheres.
          Reputable pellets consist of variable BTU wood saw blade dust packaged in pellets. Canada or Mississippi produce most reputable wood pellets.

          Stove Fuel/air setting is based on BTU of fuel combustion. Corn BTU is consistent. Fuel/air mixture is constant. Effluents produce
          zero black particulate and a small amount of white solid particulates in a properly adjusted corn stove. Check that the F/A in your corn stove is properly adjusted.

          --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "jowensjowens" <jowensjowens@...>
          > --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "tennesseecornstoves"
          > <tennesseecornstoves@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Pellets are not necessarily made from wood but are now being made
          > from
          > > trash. The process uses a Windex machine to pulverize trash, feed
          > > trash into a pellet machine, bag trash, and market as pellets. The
          > > process was initially used to clean up Katrina at NO. The maximum
          > BTU
          > > value is listed at around 7000 BTU/#.
          > >

          > Is the supply container (bag,box,ect.)required to state its contents?
          > Are thier any precautions used to prevent plastics and other toxic
          > materials from entering the mix?

        • amaizablaze
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 26, 2007
            Corn is helping hold down the cost of OPEC gasoline by blending 10%
            corn ethanol, providing low cost cattle food to hold down beef prices
            while creating environmentally friendly high quality North American
            jobs.
            BioEnergy Corp, Janesville, Mn a new corn ethanol refinery will produce
            100 million gal ethanol annually, 320,000 tons dried distillers grains
            (DDGs), employ 40 people at the refinery and family at the farm, and
            process 35-40 million bu corn annually. Other large ethanol plants are
            locating in Fairmont, Mn & Welcome, MN in 2007.
            DDG is affordable cattle feed subsidized by ethanol and energy
            production from corn.

            $300 million dollars for gasoline stays in North America.
            $1.2 million dollars high quality beef is produced, sold, consumed.
            $1.6 million dollars in salaries is paid locally.
            $200 million dollars in federal taxes is paid into the IRS and the
            taxpayer saves another $15 million in subsidies not needed.
            $80-$100 million dollars is paid to the farm for raising the corn.
            300,000 idle acres raised corn rather than receiving $15 million in
            agricultural subsidies (mentioned above).
            $600 million dollars stays local rather than $15 million subsidies to
            do nothing.