Auger Cleaning & Lubrication

  • Harry & Linda Clift
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2006
      Dan & Brigitte Bohling,
      I purchased a 4100 stove in Jan., which I have been pleased with.
      Recently, the corn supply I picked up was rather dirty
      (fines, "bee's wings", sticks,etc). I have been running the corn
      through a seive which does a good job of cleaning the fines & large
      cob pieces, but the stick manage to get through.

      All has been good until this week, previously I could run the stove
      at a feed rate of between 1 & 3 for adequate fire, now I have to
      almost at the max feed rate. The auger seems to be turning fine,
      but corn flow is greatly reduced. I suspect that I have sticks
      wrapped around the auger and choking down the flow. I empty the corn
      hopper completely and clean out all the fines & fished around with a
      wire in the chute to dislodge any sticks, but had little sucess. How
      does one clean the auger discharge/chute area properly??

      Also, when I grasp the auger and turn it by hand, it seemed like
      components are "floating".....I can push the auger forward
      approximately 1" and it is somewhat free to rotate for approximately
      1/4 turn. When I turn the auger, it acts as if the motor is loose
      or able to float (I can hear the motor hit a stop or something when
      I turn the auger back and forth). Is this normal?? or has something
      come loose??

      Thanks,

      Dan Bohling

      Dan, everything is normal and functioning properly as observed and
      described above.

      First place the corn feed in the ten position. Allow time for this
      action to dislodge any obstruction in the auger. It may not work
      every time but when it does work, you don't have to. When the wife
      opens the window, the auger is clean enough.

      When the first method fails to dislodge a piece of corn stalk from
      the auger:
      1. Safely de-energize the auger by placing the power switch to
      the "off" position.
      2. Place the left hand through the corn in the corn hopper, touch
      the auger blade, and push some loose corn through the auger toward
      the furnace. The loose corn will push the obstruction along it's way.
      3. With the fingers, slide the auger forward and backward along with
      the 1" linear motion.
      4. Repeat 2 & 3 until loose corn feeds into the furnace.
      5. Pull fingers away from auger while leaving hand in place.
      Actuate power. Actuate prime. Observe loose corn feed into furnace.
      6. If not, repeat 1-5 until auger feeds corn freely and normally.
      7. Remove hand. Actuate power.
      Note the procedure is fast and easy. The corn stove continues to run
      and the hopper is not necessarily empty during the above cleaning
      procedure.
      If the auger resist linear motion, lubricate the auger bushing
      freely with graphite or dry lubricant until auger slides freely in a
      linear motion.
      To protect the auger bushing from heat and to prevent backflow
      through the hopper, maintain a seal of at least six inches of corn
      above the auger in the hopper while corn stove is in operation.

      When option 1 and 2 above fail to remove obstructions, or for
      unsatisfactory results from the above procedure, place the power
      switch in the "off position". Empty the corn hopper and vacuum out
      all corn. Remove the rear cover of the stove. Observe the auger
      motor. With a flat screwdriver, remove the auger and motor assy by
      removing one #10 machine screw on the left as viewed from the rear.
      Slide the auger/motor assy completely out the rear of the stove.
      Clean the auger. Lubricate the auger/motor bushing with graphite
      lube. Cycle the bushing to obtain free wheeling rotation. With a
      flash light, visually verify corn chute is clean and unobstructed.
      Polish corn chute and auger blade with a wire brush or rotary brush.
      Replace auger and motor. Reinsert #10 screw. Verify motor hangs
      freely by gravity. Start and note motor and auger spin freely
      without contacting mechanical stop. If the auger motor contacts the
      mechanical stop further lubrication of bushing is needed. Replace
      rear cover plate of corn stove. Fill hopper with corn and continue
      to operate corn stove normally.

      To clean all the butterfly wings and small stuff is not necessarily
      mandatory. From the corn hopper take care to eliminate any material
      the exact length of the distance to lodge between the auger blades
      or strings that could wrap around the auger shaft.

      As you have noted, to screen out the fines with a 1/4 screen is not
      nearly as important as to screen out the large corn stalks with a
      1/2" screen. Curl the 1/2" screen into an 18" diameter full length
      and allow the long stalks to exit out the end of the screen past the
      corn bucket. A flat 1/2" screen will allow the long stalks to stand
      on end, pass through the 1/2" screen and continue to reside with the
      unclean corn.

      During idle summer months, be sure to run all the corn out of the
      hopper, vacuum out the fines, and freely spray dry graphite
      lubricant on the auger bushing at the rear of the corn hopper.
      Failure to comply will result in a rusty, frozen auger during fall
      light off.

      We hope this helps.
      Harry and Linda