390Cost Savings at 50% Relative Humidity

  • Hydro Wind Solar
    Oct 9, 2008
      Only a TennesseeCornStove can Cut the heat bill in half by
      maintaining 50% RH.

      It takes twice the energy to heat moist air as is required to heat dry
      air at 50% RH. Dry air that escapes cost only half the cost of moist
      air that escapes the house. Notice the temperature of the room is
      not nearly as important to energy savings as is the relative humidity
      of the room air.
      All houses leak when the door opens for egress. Some houses leak like
      an air filter with the door and windows closed. If the room RH is 70%
      RH (normal in east Tennessee)-100% RH (rainy day every place on
      earth), the moist air is expensive air at any temperature.

      Cut the heat bill in half if the room air is kept at 50% RH because
      it cost half as much to heat the 50% RH air that leaks at any
      temperature as to heat 80% RH air to a lower temperature.

      In attempt to save heating fuel, many people double the heating
      bill. The correct but expensive sensation is to Boil water on the
      stove to make one feel warm. This expensive concept allows one to
      drop the room temperature and remain comfortable. The false
      perception is cost savings come if one drops the room temperature by
      adjusting the set point down to a lower temperature. Fact is, it
      takes double the energy to heat moist air to a low temperature than
      to heat dry air to a comfortable temperature. Expensive is the
      energy loss from high moisture in room air at any temperature. Hot
      air at 50% RH is relatively inexpensive (half the cost) of cold air
      at 70-100% RH. Don't tell me your room is always dry. On a rainy
      day, ambient air is 100% RH. Pressure pushed moisture.

      Moisture creeps inside the walls and inside the room every time the
      partial pressure of water in ambient air exceeds the partial
      pressure of moisture in the room air. Moisture creeps inside the
      walls from the inside the room any time the partial pressure of
      moisture inside the room exceeds the partial pressure of water vapour
      in ambient air. Unfortunately, the vapor barrier so diligently
      installed inside the wall is the greatest hinderance to dry
      insulaltion inside the wall. That explains why "experts" can not
      agree on whether to install the vapor barrier on the inside wall or
      on the exterior wall. The conformise and for ease of installation,
      the vapor barrier is installed on the inside wall upstairs but in
      reverse in a basement garage. Go Figure!! Every ask an "expert" to
      explain which is correctly installed, the wall vapor barrier or the
      garage vapor barrier??

      Conventional HVAC systems have set point temperature control and no
      method to control room relative humidity. With set point, the false
      perception may actually save energy because the room RH can not be
      dropped nor controlled with set point temp control. The only choice
      is to drop room temp to the lower end of the comfort level and freeze
      occupants to save on the energy bill.

      With conventional set point swinging room temperature plus or minus
      five degrees, the RH can not be controlled. Humidifiers and
      dehumidifiers are inadequate.
      Only the steady heat of a corn stove can control room RH. The corn
      stove must be
      run steadily for several days, up to two weeks, to stabalize the room
      moisture at the desired per cent relative humidity. If you take
      vacation in Janurary with the corn stove turned off, it will take a
      day or two to return room relative humidity to 50% RH. If you
      alternate between the corn stove and conventional HVAC, the 50% room
      RH may not be attainable unless the corn stove is run continuously
      for two weeks. Alternation of heating methods with conventional HVAC
      is counter productive and will reduce total cost savings. Don't be
      lazy. Feed the corn stove.

      Notice the corn stove will use more corn during the first two weeks
      of operation even though the weather is mild. After one week, one
      may notice a "moisture" shadow on the wall from nearby furnature.
      After two weeks of continuous corn stove operation, the shadow will
      disappear, the green lines of mold will disappear along crevices in
      the wall paper, and the wall color will become a lighter shade. The
      green lines are gone. The shadows are gone. The room rh should be 40-
      60% RH. To arrive at 50% RH from 60% RH, set the corn setting upward
      ever so slightly. Wait another day to see the RH stabalize at 50%
      rh. The reason for the waiting period is that the instrument to
      measure RH has about one hour time delay unless you dropped some
      major money on the purchase.

      And now you know why a corn stove will use so much fuel the first two
      weeks running even though the outside ambient may not be cold yet.
      Be patient. The savings will come as the moisture dries out inside
      the walls. THE "R" value of insulation is cut in half with each 10%
      rise in RH. The R20 you purchases is only R1 with 80% moisture inside
      the walls. The vapor barrier prevents moisture from escaping inside
      the wall. As the weather turns colder and the insulation becomes
      dry, the heat bill may only slightly increase even though the outside
      ambient temperature is very cold.
      The corn stove may use as much fuel during damp warm weather as
      during cold dry weather. Any corn stove will use more fuel the first
      two weeks of operation than later on after the wall insulation
      becomes dry and the room relative humidity reached 50% RH. Thusly the
      frozen dry Northern locations save more energy with a corn stove than
      the southern damp locations. Also notice, the first two months of air
      conditioning load in the summer will be less than previously. During
      the hot July weather, the walls are dry and the cooling load may be
      less than in May and June unless a corn stove already had the walls
      dried out inside.

      Frozen air is dry air because the moisture in the air is frozen
      rather than vaporized water or RH. Northern locations may experience
      excessively dry air during extended long cold spells because the
      ground is frozen, the air is frozen and there is little to no
      vaporized water in the atmosphere. The ground below the house
      becomes frozen. Ground moisture can be released in cold dry areas by
      running the corn stove exhaust beneath the house to prevent the
      ground from freezing.
      Benefits of running exhaust beneath the house are:
      a. Heat loss through the floor can be reduced from 40% of the total
      heat loss to a lesser amount.
      b. The heat prevents frozen ground below the house, dries the ground
      and releases vaporized ground moisture into the house, and makes 50%
      RH attainable even in the coldest and driest of locations.
      c. Exhaust heat is waste energy recouped for free energy. This
      concept should not be attempted unless corn is the fuel of choice.
      Corn effluents of CO and CO2 are 0.001 MMBTU as compared to 0.11 for
      unvented gas. CAUTION: Do not switch to wood pellets. Use corn
      exclusively if the exhaust is vented beneath the floor. Wood
      effluents may include sparks, solid particulate, and excessive CO &
      CO2. However, being heavier than air safely seeks ground level. An
      open fireplace burning wood will emit hundreds of times more
      effluents than either option mentioned above but the effluents safely
      seek ground level being heavier than air.

      I understand this article flies in the face of the false perceptions
      of conventional HVAC. HVAC systems never teach this RH control
      concept because HVAC can not control room temperature precisely and
      consistently for any extended period of two weeks as required to gain
      control of room RH

      Please reference a psychrometric chart for the ambient elevation of
      location to study and verify how effective RH Control is saving
      energy dollars. Ref www.coolada.com and visit the psychrometric
      charts for elevations of sea level (14.686 psia), 2500 ft , 5000 ft,
      and 7500 ft.

      Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome.
      --- In cornplace@yahoogroups.com, "cornstoves" <cornstoves@...> wrote:

      > http://www.coolerado.com/ Humility is relative. Adjust for
      attitude.
      > Humidity is also relative. RH must be adjusted for altitude. Check
      the
      > charts to see the scientific measure for relative humidity. Sorry,
      the
      > attitude and humility are not technically plotted however the human
      > personal comfort zones are plotted relative to relative humidity.
      > Relative Humidity is also relative to altitude or absolute
      pressure.
      > Personal comfort zones vary with location, altitude, from winter to
      > summer. Higher altitudes are more comfortable. Lower altitudes keep
      you
      > under pressure. Higher altitudes take the pressure off. The series
      of
      > psychrometric charts show the difference.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic