191Corn Cost Comparison

  • Charlie Miller
    Mar 5, 2007
      Error in enery efficiency disqualifies the shown wood pellet comparison chart.
      The comparison is garbage.
      Compared is the 100% efficient electricity with 80% efficient wood stove. Neither exist. No man made object is 100% efficient within the laws of physics. Wood combustion efficiency to be accurate must distinguish between oak, pine, bark, hickory, elm, apple wood. No coal boiler and no wood stove is 80% combustion efficient. None on the globe.
      The heat exchanger efficiency of the stove design must also be stated. Heat exchange efficiency is not shown for any of the comparisons shown.
      Theoritical efficiency calculations are accurately shown on the bargraph www.msnusers.com/AmaizablazeCornStoves, click on Model 7100. You may need to join for the site to function properly.
      If the cost of gasoline has doubled, and it has, then double the height of the bar.
      If corn cost has doubled, and it hasn't, add that to the height of the bar.
      If you get free wood, drop that bar to zero.
      When completed, now make adjustments for the heat exchange efficiency of the stove(s) being compared.  The chart allows comparison between oak wood, apple wood, and hickory wood, gasoline, propane, electricity, corn, etc.
      Also make consideration for the % of total energy represented by heat.  TVA.gov considers 42% of the home energy to be for heat.  South would be less.  North greater.  If you live in Tennessee, for heat only,  cut all the bar graph heights in half (42%) to represent heat energy only.  If the heat exchange efficiency of the heater under consideration is 50% efficient, double the numbers again.  Technically, the bar graph with no revision is relatively representative of the average American home using 50 million BTU per year.
      Ask someone heating with corn to verify how extremely accurate the bar graph is for their personal home in real numbers. Compaare the cost of the previous heating fuel with the corn cost.  The bar graph is amaizingly accurate.
      It is anyone's guess which fuel will escalate faster in the future.
      With 200 years recorded history, nothing in history is as stable as the price of corn.
      Not milk (milk has not changed in content but milk cost has changed with inflation).
      Not Gas.(gas is constantly changing to meet regs. For EPA mandates,  MTBE additives were replaced with ethanol in 2006. Lead additives disappeared years ago. The formulation of gasoline is a great secret)
      Not wood.  Wood has not changed in content but wood cost has changed with inflation.
      Not coal.  Each piece of coal is unique as a diamond but the taxes on coal exceed the total cost of corn per BTU.
      If you don't like the price of corn, go direct to a farm and save.
      Can one go shopping  for any other heating fuel in the heart of winter?
      Farms will double acreage in 2007 over 2006 to supply the market.
      If the government would allow, farms have another 40 million acres available to raise corn that is now tied up and idle by the USDA Soil Conservation Program.
      Last year some corn farms produced 300 bu per acre.
      Soy bean production, in comparison, is 35-50 bu per acre.
      Expect corn production to hold the line on gasoline prices.
      Do not expect soy beans to hold the line on biodiesel production or prices.

      Ken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:
      I get a "not found" on the cost comparison you reference. But looking at
      http://www.pellethe at.org/3/ residential/ compareFuel. cfm

      firewood at $150/cord and 50% efficiency is a lot cheaper than pellets
      at the current $250/ton and 80% efficiency. Likewise coal is less
      expensive at 50%.

      Corn is NOT going for $2-3 a bushel today. Nobody knows what it will be
      next year, it might collapse back to $3 (unlikely IMO) or might go above
      $6. That depends upon the government sponsored manipulation.

      I am not knocking corn by any means. But it certainly is not a savior
      to replace gasoline (BTW, ethanol reduces gas mileage). It's just a
      political boondoggle and pork barrel politics.

      As for Al Gore, he is so full of lies and BS that his only value would
      be as fertilizer.