updates

  • Roger Corman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2002
      Hi all,

      We are still working hard to get the promised 2.0 release done by the end of the month.
      I think you will all be impressed by the improvements. As I mentioned before, it will include
      the ability to create native Windows DLLs which can be used from any application.
      This should make Corman Lisp 2.0 an excellent choice for plug-in development
      with your favorite application. There are loads of bug fixes, and lots of IDE enhancements
      as well.

      I just wanted to let everybody know, because I have gotten a lot of questions:

      We now have an official merchant account with MasterCard and Visa, and can accept
      registration payment directly via a secure site (Verisign). The new links for this are
      on the License tab of the Corman Lisp site:
      www.corman.net/license.html

      You no longer have to use PayPal. We have left the PayPal links active (for a limited time
      at least) in case anybody prefers to use that service.

      Remember, all 1.5 license holders will automatically be licensed for 2.0. This will be an
      automatic license (the software recognizes the 1.5 license as valid for 2.0) not one that
      requires obtaining a new license. Please do not wait to purchase a registration.

      Corman Lisp is finally becoming a real business, with full time staff, and all the costs
      and benefits that go along with that. We look at the 2.0 release as marking the
      beginning of a new expanded commitment to the Lisp market (or I sometimes think of it
      as the "alternative programming" market. Alternative meaning better. And more fun. :-)
      We were inspired by the volume of sales in May--it was a record month for us.
      We have been a commercial vendor of Lisp compilers since we began selling PowerLisp
      in 1993. You can be sure we will continue in the business for many years to come, and
      that Corman Lisp will continue to grow into a comprehensive development solution.
      By purchasing a license now, and spreading the word, you can play an important role as
      a supporter of alternative programming. (I better stop--this is starting to sound like a
      PBS pledge break!)

      As we make this transition, please bear with us if there is a delay in getting a response,
      problems with web pages, etc. We are actively working on the problems. We are getting a
      new hosting site, which should improve our up-time and response times (as well
      as make e-mail more reliable). Please be persistent in e-mails. If you don't get an immediate
      response, keep trying. As anybody who has published e-mail addresses knows, spam
      is increasing like crazy. We were literally flooded with it, receiving about 30 spam messages
      for every real one. We have finally managed to tame it with anti-spam software, and
      are discovering some important messages which slipped through the cracks. I believe
      any of you who have corresponded with me know that I generally get back to you quickly--
      if not please try again.

      Thanks again for all your help with bug reports, feature suggestions, bug fixes, etc.
      This mailing list is great--there are a lot of very helpful and smart people following it.

      Sincerely,

      Roger Corman
      President, Corman Technologies
    • SmallHairyTroll
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2002
        --- In cormanlisp@y..., Roger Corman <roger@c...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > as make e-mail more reliable). Please be persistent in e-mails. If
        you don't get an immediate
        > response, keep trying. As anybody who has published e-mail
        addresses knows, spam
        > is increasing like crazy. We were literally flooded with it,
        receiving about 30 spam messages
        > for every real one. We have finally managed to tame it with anti-
        spam software, and
        > are discovering some important messages which slipped through the
        cracks.

        It might be an idea to allow registered users of Corman Lisp to send
        email to a seperate email account. This way, you are able to use your
        filtering software to block email from all addresses except those on
        the list of registered users.

        Miscellaneous questions (and spam) can still be sent to the general
        email account.

        -Luke