Corman Lisp update

  • Roger Corman
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2002
      Hi lisp users,

      I just wanted to update you regarding Corman Lisp development.

      I am hoping to release 2.0 in June--I can't be more specific than that.
      Most of the main features are done, and what remains is a lot
      of bug fixes (going over reports I have received but not gotten to yet),
      testing and documentation updates. The final details of getting a
      release out usually takes me several weeks.

      I won't go into details here, because I haven't yet compiled the list
      of new features I think it will be substantial--more so even than the
      1.5 release. I will mention a few things.

      I have implemented a "direct call" feature which allows any program
      to call lisp functions from any thread. It does not have to be a lisp-created
      thread. This enables you to write code which can be accessed from
      code written in whatever language you have to (we know you would just
      be using lisp if given a choice :-) and should facilitate things like plugins
      to commercial packages.

      This feature was quite complex to implement, and I think deserves the new
      2.0 version. Implementation involved modifying the garbage collector, the threading
      model, and features throughout the system.

      The good thing is that this is a stepping stone to many other uses. The IDE
      now can call lisp functions at will, and I have added some nice features
      (context menus in the edit window, for example) which take advantage of this.
      The editor is now based on the RichEdit 3 control, rather than the version 1.
      This allows the IDE to support multiple-level undo/redo, and some other things.

      Probably the most requested feature has been support for creating DLLs.
      This direct call capability enables this, because now a DLL can be generated
      which exposes a selected set of functions via direct call. This DLL can be used
      anywhere, by any Windows application. I am hoping to get this ready for the
      June release but I am not sure that it will be done by then. If not, it will follow
      shortly after.

      I have modified the compile-file facility to compile into a DLL or EXE file (as a section).
      This allows compile-file to become the front-end to DLL generation. In the process, some
      improvements and bug fixes were done with compile-file. A lisp image can also be
      saved to a DLL now. This enables the creation of a DLL which contains both the
      DLL-defined functions as well as the supporting image.

      What inspired me to write this message is that I just looked at the cormanlisp@yahoogroups
      list, and there are now 224 of you! This seems quite impressive to me, as the list
      was only formed a bit over a year ago. I hope the list continues to grow, and that
      those of you who are receiving these messages continue to read and participate
      in this group. It suddenly occurred to me that I could send out a message and
      a couple hundred people might read it!

      When I visited Franz last year, they told me they considered Corman Technologies
      to be the #3 lisp vendor (I am not totally sure what their criteria was). This is with
      a skeletal staff (part of me, and occasionally part of some other people's time).
      I have not until now spent any money on marketing--any license fees go to
      offsetting development costs.

      For what it's worth, I have taken the plunge and given up my day job, and am
      now spending more time than ever on Corman Lisp. I still do consulting (to pay
      the bills) but the new flexibility makes it much more likely that Corman Lisp
      can grow into the product that you would like to see. I hope to get administrative
      help soon, and possibly be able to get additional help with development before too
      long.

      Sales of Corman Lisp licenses were triple last year from the previous year, and I
      hope to see them continue to increase. I hope that any of you who have not
      registered, and use Corman Lisp, will consider doing so. If you have registered
      an earlier version, I hope you will consider upgrading.

      Anybody who has purchased a license for 1.5 will receive a free upgrade to 2.0.
      This is continuing--you don't need to wait for 2.0 to be released to purchase it.
      I have tried to be very generous with upgrades and pricing, and I believe it has
      paid off in good will and the generosity in turn of the many Corman Lisp users
      who support our efforts in some way. In order to continue to expand our
      efforts, it will be essential to increase revenues somehow, and I hope to not have
      to increase the price (but that's one option).

      Those of you who e-mail me know that I normally read and respond to private
      messages. Occasionally they get lost in the spam (it's getting worse and worse)
      which is the result of publishing my e-mail address on the internet. And sometimes
      I am away from the office and may take some time getting back to you. But normally
      I will respond to private messages quickly--I love hearing from all of you.

      I have some contracting time available if anybody needs some of my time--I would
      be happy to discuss details by private e-mail. This would also help support Corman Lisp
      development.

      Thanks to all of you for your support.

      Happy Lisping,

      Roger Corman
    • Stefan Schmiedl
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2002
        Roger Corman (2002-05-08 23:45):

        > Hi lisp users,

        Hi Roger,

        > I just wanted to update you regarding Corman Lisp development.

        this sounds very exciting, I'll reshuffle some projects
        to wait for the new release in the summer :-)

        > This is with
        > a skeletal staff (part of me, and occasionally part of some other people's time).
        > I have not until now spent any money on marketing--any license fees go to
        > offsetting development costs.

        A lean, agile company with 100% motivated employees
        runs very efficiently ;)
        .... but rereading the above paragraph it seems that you don't even
        have 100% of an employee :-D

        > Anybody who has purchased a license for 1.5 will receive a free upgrade to 2.0.
        > This is continuing--you don't need to wait for 2.0 to be released to purchase it.
        > I have tried to be very generous with upgrades and pricing, and I believe it has
        > paid off in good will and the generosity in turn of the many Corman Lisp users
        > who support our efforts in some way. In order to continue to expand our
        > efforts, it will be essential to increase revenues somehow, and I hope to not have
        > to increase the price (but that's one option).

        This kind of behaviour surely pays off in terms of customer
        loyalty. I am sure, it will also pay off in $$$ in the long term.

        An idea, which comes to mind: support for GUI development with
        a layout manager similar to the one used in Xanalys Lispworks and
        Functional Objects' Dylan.

        Another one: How about a port to Linux? This should be much easier
        than, say, porting Dolphin Smalltalk, which is heavily dependent
        on Windows. I imagine, I could be persuaded to spend some more
        for additional components like those.

        > Those of you who e-mail me know that I normally read and respond to private
        > messages. Occasionally they get lost in the spam (it's getting worse and worse)
        > which is the result of publishing my e-mail address on the internet. And sometimes
        > I am away from the office and may take some time getting back to you. But normally
        > I will respond to private messages quickly--I love hearing from all of you.

        And this is one of the reasons I chose to purchase my license.
        With small companies you a. have actually someone to talk to and
        b. chances are good that this person knows what he's talking about.

        And I have not been disappointed.

        Regards,
        Stefan

        --
        Stefan Schmiedl
        EDV-Beratung, Programmierung, Schulung

        shhhh ... I can't hear my code!
      • Chris Double
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2002
          Sounds fantastic Roger. I'm looking forward to seeing the new release and continue to use Corman Lisp almost daily in the work I do.

          Cheers,
          Chris.

          Disclaimer:
          "The information contained in this document is confidential to the addressee(s) and
          may be legally privileged. Any view or opinions expressed are those of the author
          and may not be those of the organisation to which the author belongs. If you have
          received this e-mail message in error please delete it and notify me. Thank you."