Re: [cordwood] Re: Update

  • randall robertson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2003
      the powerpole cut offs are untreated in anyway. only the poles trimed to lenght are treated...also i'll get the ties before they treat them with anything.they have a lot of castoffs for next to nothing.

      cordwoodguy <cordwoodguy@...> wrote:--- In cordwood@yahoogroups.com, "Randall Robertson"
      <randall82002003@y...> wrote:
      > As of yesterday i have my foundation poured and 4 courses of
      > cinderblock filled with cement layed, my cordwood walls will start
      > 26" above ground level. A copper termite shield will be placed,
      also
      > i left 12" of 1/2" rebar on 24" centers sticking out of the blocks
      > to help tie the wall to together. being lucky to live down the road
      > from a mill i now have a total of 1,167 peices of 6" post cutoffs
      > and also 2,584 peices of telephone pole size that have not been
      > treated with cresote yet but i have sprayed everything down with
      the
      > borox mix you told me about...

      RANDALL.....THE BORAX SOLUTION IS GOOD FOR GREEN AND WET WOOD,WHERE
      IT GETS READILY ABSORBED INTO THE WOOD.IT DOESN`T WORK OVERLY WELL ON
      DRY SEASONED WOOD.....BUT IT WOULDN`T HURT.NOTE,THE POWER POLES MIGHT
      HAVE BEEN PRESSURE TREATED WITH PCB,CCA`S ETC.BEST TO CHECK THE WOOD
      BEFORE YOU BUILD.

      i'm now looking for some railrood tie
      > size timbers for the doors and window openings.

      RANDALL.....THE RAILROAD TIES WILL CONTAIN CREOSOTE ,SO BE CAREFUL.
      THERE IS A HOUSE NEAR ME THAT THAT FRAMED THE WINDOWS AND DOORS
      ALMOST 30 YEARS AGO WITH R/R TIES AND THEY HELD UP WONDERFULLY.
      BUT OFF GASING COULD BE A PROBLEM.
      I DON`T RECOMMEND USING TOXIC MATERIALS.BUT AS AN OPTION
      IF YOU DO DECIDE TO USE THEM.USE THEM WHERE THEY WILL DO THE MOST
      GOOD AND THE LEAST HARM....USE FOR THE OUTER WALL TRIM.

      I plan to lay up the
      > walls solid with no space in the middle, my wall will be 20"
      thick .
      > i will start posting pictures of the construction as i get them
      back.
      > I'm still makeing my mind up on what kind of morter mix to use i
      > have seen so many. Anyone please feel free to offer idea's

      CORDWOODGUY

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      NOTE:IF YOU FIND THE CORRESPONDENCE FROM CORDWOOD TO BE OVER POWERING.YOU HAVE AN OPTION.CLICK ON "EDIT MY MEMBERSHIP ON THE TOP OF THE PAGE.YOU CAN GET EVERY POST,DAILY SUMMATIONS,NO MAIL..VIEW WEB TO READ POSTS.THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

    • Great Northern
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2003
        Another thing:

        As a post-script, I thought I would make a mention of
        the comments that vermiculite is now considered to be
        toxic because some of it was found to be contaminated
        with asbestos. I think that someone else mentioned
        that they thought this had to do with a particular
        mine where the asbestos and vermiculite ran together.

        Well, I believe that this issue has to do with a large
        vermiculite mine near Libby, Montana. I have friends
        up there and used to live in western Montana. Alot of
        people in Libby are really pissed off about it: some
        because they were exposed to the asbestos and now may
        have health problems. Others are pissed because thier
        property values dropped because of the scare, even
        when there may or may not have been any asbestos or
        vermiculite traces found on their property. And the
        mine was shut down and lots of people are out of work,
        and now the EPA and the feds have come in spending
        hundreds of millions of dollars to clean up the entire
        area and imposing all maner of rediculous regulations.
        If you want to get into the politics and scare
        tacticts employed by the EPA so they can get huge
        budgets and "super-fund" status for their clean-up
        projects, I'd be glad to visit with anyone about it.

        I should clarify that regular vermiculite is not
        considered to be toxic or a health hazard. Asbestos
        can only be a health hazard when it is of the strain
        with a hooked fiber, and when the asbestos is actually
        exposed so that small asbestos fibers can become
        airborn and find their way into a person's lungs.
        Where asbestos is confined or sealed and loose
        particles cannot interact with the air we breathe, it
        is not dangerous.

        --Nick

        http://sbc.yahoo.com