File - Etiquette.txt

  • coos_county_freecycle@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 195 , Nov 1, 2009
      Last Modification Date: 9/1/07.

      List Members: this REQUIRED file is supposed to be sent to new members upon joining, and then to the list "Periodically" after that. From today forward, it will be sent every two weeks. --Mark

      Dear Coos_County_Freecycle(TM) Member,

      Thanks for being a part of The (ever-expanding) Freecycle Network. We're changing the world one gift at a time! This message is sent to all subscribers upon joining, and periodically thereafter to the entire list.

      If you're new to the group or want a quick refresher on making the most of our Freecycle group, please read on!

      This Freecycle group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill. By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!

      Coos_County_Freecycle is part of the incredibly fast-growing international Freecycle movement, which began in Tucson, AZ on May 1st, 2003 and now boasts thousands of groups all over the world. Please help this group grow by spreading the word! We all personally know lots of great people in our community who would love this idea. So, why not "pay it forward" and tell 3 (or more) people how wonderful Freecycle is! You tell your friends, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers... and they tell theirs, and so on, and so on... well, you get the idea!

      USING THE FREECYCLE(TM) LIST

      To post a message, simply send an email to coos_County_Freecycle@yahoogroups.com or click on "post" at the Coos_County_Freecycl group web site (see link below).

      To read list archives (especially helpful for new members who may find recent posts of interest there), visit the main page and click on "messages" on the left.

      For more information on Freecycle in general and a list of other approved Freecycle groups, visit http://www.freecycle.org/ (Highly recommended!)

      The following list rules have been adapted from the original Freecycle etiquette sheet. A certain structure helps the group run smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and, well, be nice and patient. Good Luck, Have Fun & Thank You for keeping Good Stuff out of the Landfills!

      1) KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example, no pornography, alcohol, tobacco, drugs (legal or otherwise), firearms or other
      weapons. Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Freecycle rule to live by and it's a pretty easy one at that. No advertising your yard sale either please, as this involves money. If you have yard sale leftovers though, and have a day when you're GIVING all things away, you may post that date - i.e. "Yard Sale leftovers (some date, details) but NOT "Yard Sale May 3-5, last day free")

      2) SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view. (There may be slight variations on these from group to group as well).

      OFFER: Thingamajig (Your General Location)

      TAKEN: Thingamajig

      WANTED: Thingamajig, any condition. (Your General Location - don't offer money. And above all else, don't ask for an extravagant item like a diamond ring which we'd all like to have or the strike
      rule will kick in - see no. 1 above.)RECEIVED: Thingamajig ADMIN: new ideas, thoughts, etc. (Used by Owners and Mods, local policy dictates)

      3) {Section deleted - N/A to Coos_County_Freecycle Members)

      4) NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Two strikes & you're
      out, i.e. you will be un-subscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.

      5) YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: Try to list this in the body of your e-mail as well as in the subject line. OFFER Couch (downtown). �I've got a couch and live downtown. Nearest intersection: Wasson and Pacific.�

      6) KEEP IT ALL IN ONE E-MAIL. Got more than one thing to give away? Keep it all in one e-mail please and just number the items for your own clarity. This reduces the overall number of emails we all have to receive. Some groups don't do this rule.

      7) CAN WE USE FREECYCLE GROUPS TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Absolutely! Let's find them a home. But NO SELLING, and posts about pets for breeding purposes are not allowed in Freecycle groups.

      8) NO TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle, though, there are no strings attached, just give it away now�

      10) PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. I always ask that people consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become the boo man pretty fast with your fellow Freecycle group members... Also: only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone no. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.

      SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup.

      11) NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN. Posting oneself (or one's shy friends) is, I'm afraid, not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose. Posting your kids is not on the menu either, no matter how crazy they make you sometimes. This includes your kid selling candy bars, gift paper, etc for fund raisers.

      12) A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here averaging 350+ members, so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-day Rule.)

      That should just about do it. Have Fun and Thank you for being a part of The Freecycle Network(TM)!

      Best Regards,

      Mark R. Magill, Coos_County_Freecycle List Owner,
      Tammy V. and Berl Watters, Coos_County_Freecycle Moderators

      Copyright � 2003-2006 The Freecycle Network | http://www.Freecycle.org | All rights reserved.
      Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in the United States and/or other countries.
    • coos_county_freecycle@yahoogroups.com
      Message 195 of 195 , Today at 5:11 AM
        Last Modification Date: 08-07-11.

        List Members: This REQUIRED file is supposed to be sent to new members upon joining, and then to all members "Periodically" after that, so we automatically send it twice a month. --Mark

[...]

        12) A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here averaging 800+ members, so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-day Rule.)

        That should just about do it. Have Fun and Thank you for being a part of The Freecycle Network(TM)!

        Best Regards,

        List Owner: Mark Magill,
        List Moderators: Tammy Vaughn, Bob Adams, Steve Myers, David Cowan, and Robyn Greenlund

        Copyright � 2003-2011 The Freecycle Network | http://www.Freecycle.org | All rights reserved.
        Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network in the United States and/or other countries.