Re: [coolpix990] USB Scanner on a LAN ?

  • Jan Guthrie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
      Rick,
      I have a HP6250 flatbed scanner. It hooks up with USB to a Win98se
      machine. HP's software has the option of "share scanner". So I just
      set up the "host" machine with "share scanner". And then intall the
      drivers on the remote machine, where one of the options is to "use
      remote scanner". It works great. I can use the same scanner with the
      fax program on one computer, the graphics on another, etc, etc.....
      Works with both W2K and 98se.

      But I cannot get it to work with the older SCSI scanner ....

      Jan Guthrie

      Rick Calder wrote:

      > how does one share out a usb scanner on a lan ?
      >
      > hard disk, zip disk, compact flash card in pc card adapter, cdrom
      > shares
      > i understand ...
      >
      > mine is connected to a win2k system. the others on the lan are win2k,
      >
      > win98se and linux.
      >
      > Rick

    • Rick Calder
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
        i also have an hp, the 5470c usb. can't find where to share it, though.
        i've looked in the device manager screens for the scanner, and in all
        of the hp precisionscan pro 3.1 screens.

        do you remember which screen it is in ?

        --
        Rick

        ---- Jan Guthrie <jan@...> wrote:
        > Rick,
        > I have a HP6250 flatbed scanner. It hooks up with USB to a Win98se
        > machine. HP's software has the option of "share scanner". So I just
        > set up the "host" machine with "share scanner". And then intall the
        > drivers on the remote machine, where one of the options is to "use
        > remote scanner". It works great. I can use the same scanner with
        > the
        > fax program on one computer, the graphics on another, etc, etc.....
        > Works with both W2K and 98se.
        >
        > But I cannot get it to work with the older SCSI scanner ....
        >
        > Jan Guthrie
        >
        > Rick Calder wrote:
        >

        > > how does one share out a usb scanner on a lan ?
        > >
        > > hard disk, zip disk, compact flash card in pc card adapter, cdrom
        > > shares
        > > i understand ...
        > >
        > > mine is connected to a win2k system. the others on the lan are win2k,
        > >
        > > win98se and linux.
        > >
        > > Rick

        Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com
      • Jan Guthrie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
          Once I installed the software from the CD it show up under
          Start/Programs/HP Scanjet Software/HP Scanjet Utilities/ ..... then
          either "Share Scanner" or "Remote Scanning Setup".

          I installed the new drivers from their website for W2000, and remote
          scanning was not included. I had to install it from the original CD.

          Jan Guthrie

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
            thanks for the info. i had updated today to the newest drivers on the
            hp website, but remote scanning isn't included.

            just installed the original cd software on my laptop, and it isn't there,
            either.

            have sent an email to hp support to see if it is available. somehow,
            i doubt it ...

            thanks again for the help

            --
            Rick