Resolution vs. DPI

  • stevesim@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
      Here's a question I've been wondering. When I print my digital
      photos, I typically resample the images to 600 DPI before printing.
      But today I realized in a nearly-but-not-quite-brilliant flash of
      thought that 600 DPI on an 11x14" print is far greater than 3.34
      megapixels! So the software is being forced to "fill in the blanks"
      to complete the image at that size output. Does anyone have any
      thoughts on what this is doing to the final image? I wonder if
      lowering the DPI to match the camera's ability would yield better
      results.

      I plan to do some testing on this but it sure takes up a lot of ink
      and expensive paper printing so many 11x14's! One thing I have
      noticed while playing with my new Epson 1270 is that 600 DPI does
      indeed look superior to 300 DPI on an 11x14 printout.

      Hope I don't fry anyone's brain cells with this one. It does require
      math and all! :)

      Happy new year and millinium!

      - Steve
    • Larry Berman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
        Hi Steve,

        Happy New Year.

        Let's get to the source of the issue. I think you're confusing DPI (dots
        per inch) that a printer can produce with PPI (pixels per inch) that you're
        resizing to the file prior to printing.

        The camera records the data at 72 pixels per inch. Anything higher is
        interpolated in Photoshop. Your Epson printer has the capability of
        printing at 360, 720 or 1440 dots per inch. That's the ability of the
        printer to lay down the ink on paper. No relation to the 72 pixels per inch
        file that your CoolPix can output.

        When you're referring to the 600 DPI, you probably mean pixels per inch if
        you're making the changes in Photoshop. If you're making changes in your
        printer set-up dialogue, then it's dots per inch and can only be the 360,
        720, or 1440 as I've already said.

        There seems to be a common feeling on the two Epson forums I read that the
        file should be sized as pixels per inch to a denominator of your printer
        capability. In other words, they feel the best prints can be obtained by
        creating a file at 360 pixels per inch (or 180 ppi) in Photoshop. That's
        where I would begin testing.

        I hope I haven't further confused the issue for you.

        >Here's a question I've been wondering. When I print my digital
        >photos, I typically resample the images to 600 DPI before printing.
        >But today I realized in a nearly-but-not-quite-brilliant flash of
        >thought that 600 DPI on an 11x14" print is far greater than 3.34
        >megapixels! So the software is being forced to "fill in the blanks"
        >to complete the image at that size output. Does anyone have any
        >thoughts on what this is doing to the final image? I wonder if
        >lowering the DPI to match the camera's ability would yield better
        >results.
        >
        >I plan to do some testing on this but it sure takes up a lot of ink
        >and expensive paper printing so many 11x14's! One thing I have
        >noticed while playing with my new Epson 1270 is that 600 DPI does
        >indeed look superior to 300 DPI on an 11x14 printout.

        <:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:>
        Larry Berman

        Web Sites for Artists: http://BermanGraphics.com
        Fine Art Photography: http://BermanArt.com
        Explore the Art Show Jury process from a web site:
        http://ArtShowJury.com
        <:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:>
      • kellogg@monad.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
          --- In coolpix990@egroups.com, stevesim@p... wrote:
          > I plan to do some testing on this but it sure takes up a lot of ink
          > and expensive paper printing so many 11x14's!

          Tell me. Sometimes I think I'm working for Buy.com

          What I do is get the image(s) right, then crop the same smaller
          section from each version, and print just that small section.
          Actually, I only do this to see how large a particular image can be
          printed successfully. But I do it for the same reason, saving on ink
          and paper.

          Then I make the full size print, or send it out to a lab with a
          larger printer.

          Cap