E990 Timer

  • bugambic
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hi Guy's. Having some great fun using the E990, but would have a whole lot more if only I could use the timer facility on distance shots. I shake. Oh boy I really shake sometimes, but at 78 years of age maybe thats the way of it. I am a tiny bit frustrated because the timer only comes into operatiom when the macro symbol is showing and thats not really what I want. Can anyone of you more knowledgeable users point me to a way whereby I can use the timer on the distance setting? I would really appreciate any help here. Many thanks. Bugambic
    • Larry Bolch
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
        It has been a long time since I had one, but I still do have a Coolpix 8400.
        As I recall with the 990�and just confirmed with the 8400�macro mode permits
        a full focusing range from the minimum 3/4" all the way to infinity. The
        macro mode does not limit you to just close focus�the normal mode is the one
        that is a limitation.

        Contrast detection auto-focus was slow in the early days of digital cameras,
        and for that matter is a whole lot slower than phase detection with cameras
        with mirrors today. When it is not in macro mode, it will only focus from
        about a foot to infinity, so spends less time searching for something to
        lock onto�thus focusing more quickly. The timer should work just fine, even
        if the macro symbol is showing.

        larry!
        *http://www.larry-bolch.com/*

        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM, bugambic <g0tuj@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Guy's. Having some great fun using the E990, but would have a whole lot
        > more if only I could use the timer facility on distance shots. I shake. Oh
        > boy I really shake sometimes, but at 78 years of age maybe thats the way of
        > it. I am a tiny bit frustrated because the timer only comes into operatiom
        > when the macro symbol is showing and thats not really what I want. Can
        > anyone of you more knowledgeable users point me to a way whereby I can use
        > the timer on the distance setting? I would really appreciate any help here.
        > Many thanks. Bugambic

      • bugambic
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hio Larry. Thanks for pointing out what should have been the obvious. I had already found out from practise, that the Macro mode only 'really' came in when the symbol turned yellow. So.....I should have sussed out that in all other cases there was the normal ranges up to infinity. Pleased to be able to say Larry, that the issue as far as I am concerned is now resolved. Thanks again Larry, you are a gem. Regards Walt.

          --- In coolpix990@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bolch <lnbolch@...> wrote:

          > It has been a long time since I had one, but I still do have a Coolpix 8400.
          > As I recall with the 990—and just confirmed with the 8400—macro mode permits
          > a full focusing range from the minimum 3/4" all the way to infinity. The
          > macro mode does not limit you to just close focus—the normal mode is the one
          > that is a limitation.
          >
          > Contrast detection auto-focus was slow in the early days of digital cameras,
          > and for that matter is a whole lot slower than phase detection with cameras
          > with mirrors today. When it is not in macro mode, it will only focus from
          > about a foot to infinity, so spends less time searching for something to
          > lock onto—thus focusing more quickly. The timer should work just fine, even
          > if the macro symbol is showing.
          >
          > larry!
          > *http://www.larry-bolch.com/*
          >

          > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM, bugambic <g0tuj@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi Guy's. Having some great fun using the E990, but would have a whole lot
          > > more if only I could use the timer facility on distance shots. I shake. Oh
          > > boy I really shake sometimes, but at 78 years of age maybe thats the way of
          > > it. I am a tiny bit frustrated because the timer only comes into operatiom
          > > when the macro symbol is showing and thats not really what I want. Can
          > > anyone of you more knowledgeable users point me to a way whereby I can use
          > > the timer on the distance setting? I would really appreciate any help here.
          > > Many thanks. Bugambic

        • Larry Bolch
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
            My pleasure. Make great photographs.

            I have found both continuous mode of my various Nikons as well as interval
            timers as wonderful sources of images to combine into single images that
            imply a passage of time without resorting to motion pictures. Perhaps you
            can get some ideas from
            http://www.larry-bolch.com/sequences/

            larry!
            *http://www.larry-bolch.com/*