Another compact flash question

  • Laura Juozunas
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
      Has anyone has tried using a compact flash card bigger than 1 GB in
      their coolpix 990? If so, what happened? Did it recognize the card at
      all? Only use 1 GB instead of the 2 or 4 it actually has?

      I'm wondering, as it seems that sometimes I can get a bigger card
      cheaper than a 1 GB. Even if the camera might not use all of the memory,
      it still would cost less.

      Thanks!

      Laura
    • Larry Bolch
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
        Back when I was shooting with my CP990, if such a thing as a 1GB card would
        have existed, it would have probably cost well over $2,000! So, I never had
        the chance to find out. I suggest you borrow a larger card and format it in
        the camera and see what size it yields. I doubt that it can use more than
        4GB, but it may only be two.

        larry!
        *http://www.larry-bolch.com/*

        On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Laura Juozunas <laura.juozunas@...
        > wrote:

        > Has anyone has tried using a compact flash card bigger than 1 GB in
        > their coolpix 990? If so, what happened? Did it recognize the card at
        > all? Only use 1 GB instead of the 2 or 4 it actually has?
        >
        > I'm wondering, as it seems that sometimes I can get a bigger card
        > cheaper than a 1 GB. Even if the camera might not use all of the memory,
        > it still would cost less.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Laura

      • Renato Aranghelovici
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
          Indeed, FAT16 format capacity is limited to 2GB only, for more you need
          FAT32, unknown for CPX990.
          SD cards too, when reached 2GB, switched to SDHC, another format.

          > Back when I was shooting with my CP990, if such a thing as a 1GB card
          > would
          > have existed, it would have probably cost well over $2,000! So, I
          > never had
          > the chance to find out. I suggest you borrow a larger card and format
          > it in
          > the camera and see what size it yields. I doubt that it can use more
          > than
          > 4GB, but it may only be two.
          >
          > larry!
          > *http://www.larry-bolch.com/*
          >

          > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Laura Juozunas
          > <laura.juozunas@...
          >> wrote:
          >

          >> Has anyone has tried using a compact flash card bigger than 1 GB in
          >> their coolpix 990? If so, what happened? Did it recognize the card at
          >> all? Only use 1 GB instead of the 2 or 4 it actually has?
          >>
          >> I'm wondering, as it seems that sometimes I can get a bigger card
          >> cheaper than a 1 GB. Even if the camera might not use all of the
          >> memory,
          >> it still would cost less.
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >>
          >> Laura

        • David J Taylor
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2010
            > Indeed, FAT16 format capacity is limited to 2GB only, for more you need
            > FAT32, unknown for CPX990.
            > SD cards too, when reached 2GB, switched to SDHC, another format.

            Pedantically, you /could/ stretch FAT16 to 4GB (e.g. with a bigger sector
            size), but it was risky. No need to today, of course, with FAT32 & NTFS
            etc.

            I found that the major limitation with large cards on the Coolpix 990 was
            the number of files per directory. Once you got past 200-300 files (say),
            writing would become very slow as each new image was added. Later cameras
            from Nikon tended to keep the number of files per directory to less than
            200 (even 100?), and create multiple directories on the card.

            Cheers,
            David
            Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
            Email: david-taylor@...
          • Renato Aranghelovici
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2010
              I own such SD card, a 4GB Transcend, from the days of SD to SDHC
              migration.
              It is recognised in a PDA (Pocket PC) from the same period (5 years ago
              or so) and in my daughter Canon 5M compact. Nothing else ! No modern OS
              or reader, USB or laptop embedded does not recognize it :)

              Renato