Fw: To Be Remembered : Darrell "Shifty" Powers

  • Gerald Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 12:32 PM
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Edward Wescott <wescotted@...>
      To: hoytfs@...; irelandbeach@...; Sharlotte.Felix@...; Alexis Wescott <lexi_wonderwoman@...>; David Wescott <Dwescott@...>; Eileen Wescott <ireland_53@...>; Geoff Stickler <gstickler@...>; Gerald Schmidt <gaschmidt2@...>; jeffery rolheiser <rolheijb@...>; Jimmy Wescott <j.wescott@...>; Jimmy Wescott <jpsparky@...>; Joseph Wescott <joewescott@...>; Pat Stickler <pstix@...>; Paul Marks <pmarks@...>
      Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:07:39 PM
      Subject: Fw: To Be Remembered : Darrell "Shifty" Powers

      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: "Wescott, Edward A" <edward.wescott@...>
      To: "wescotted@..." <wescotted@...>; Maggie Wescott <maggiewescott@...>; Brian Alderette <aldybro2@...>; "aldybro1@..." <aldybro1@...>
      Cc: "Hankamer, Chet E" <chet.hankamer@...>; "Muir, William R" <william.muir@...>
      Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 7:08:34 AM

      From:Mike Kovalski [mailto:kovalskimt@...]
      Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:04 AM
      To: Wescott, Edward A; Hoyt, Glenn R; ski1701e@...
      Cc: g g Don Poe

      From:Christian Kovalski [mailto:ski1701e@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:31 PM
      To: Michael T Kovalski; WILLIAM BATTEN; Tom Kovalksi; Tom Kovalski
      Subject: To Be Remembered : Darrell "Shifty" Powers

      I normally do not pass these things around, but this one is important and worth the read.

      We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.

      I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Powers

      Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

      I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

      Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.

      Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped.

      At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

      I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland, into Arnhem." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.

      I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France, and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

      I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.

      He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

      Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

      There was no parade.

      No big event in Staples Center.

      No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.

      No weeping fans on television.

      And that's not right.

      Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

      Rest in peace, Shifty.

      "A nation without heroes is nothing."
      Roberto Clemente

      The contents of this email, including all related responses, files and attachments transmitted with it (collectively referred to as “this Email”), are intended solely for the use of the individual/entity to whom/which they are addressed, and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. This Email may not be disclosed or forwarded to anyone else without authorization from the originator of this Email. If you have received this Email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies from your system. Please note that the views or opinions presented in this Email are those of the author and may not necessarily represent those of Saudi Aramco. The recipient should check this Email and any attachments for the presence of any viruses. Saudi Aramco accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus/error transmitted by this Email.