Re: [coolpix990] Re: Losing Date / Battery Cover Fix

  • john moore
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi Jeff and Olga,

      Amazon trip was great, getting in to America horrendous! suffice it to say it involved two Hour and a half queues to get through immigration, cases not off the plane because baggage handlers downed tools at about 3.30am, locking the plane and going home with 2 containers still unloaded. Eventually got to our hotel at 4.30am after volunteers offloaded rest of luggage. Getting out of USA just as bad, nearly 20 minutes for girl to check us in and supervisor had to be called to sort her out and then still not allocated seats!

      I think I had about 41-42 lifers but not as many as hoped as it was not a birding trip as such. Have put some pics up on my fotopic website.

      Have booked for Antarctica and Falklands etc for next March. Should be better on the birds!

      Trust Pipitt is recovered and you are both well, emerging from the Russian winter.

      John

    • Jeff Gordon
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2008
        Hi John,
        God you two don't half get around!!!!

        Lucky you.

        Pipit is well on the road to full recovery. We were both going to go to Kazakhstan in May as a general birding trip with Owen Roberts, Colin Richardson and Andrew Grieve from OSME. I thought the whole trip was in jeopardy because of Pipit but now I am going to go without Olga. First I have to get a visa and Olga flies tomorrow to Moscow to visit the Kazakhstan Embassy to, hopefully, get me one.

        Just back from a week at Manych where I went to count White-headed Duck on behalf of TWSG, part of Wetlands International. They peak in mid-April but I counted 1380 on Saturday so I was a little early, the numbers in the last few years have been around 4,000 max.

        Manych is heaving with birds, some that have come to nest and the others as passing migrants. Wonderful sights and the weather has now eased somewhat although it can get very wet.

        Be in touch after Kazakhstan, love to Pauline,

        Jeff.
        Jeff and Olga Gordon
        +7 87934 20092

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 8, 2008
          Glad you enjoy your travels . . but a bit off subject for the group.

        • NormanS
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 8, 2008
            Both my 990's are losing their dates now and it drives me crazy.

            Any fixes for this?
            Replacement battery?
            Where is that battery located in the camera?

            Thanks for any help.
            Norman
          • topart
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 8, 2008
              Yes, you need replace 990's internal battery. it's tablet size and
              soldered to main board. Actually, if you have not skills to open the
              camera and soldering PCB better to bring it service center.

              Vladimir
              On Apr 08, 2008, at 20:15, NormanS wrote:
              > Both my 990's are losing their dates now and it drives me crazy.
              >
              > Any fixes for this?
              > Replacement battery?
              > Where is that battery located in the camera?
              >
              > Thanks for any help.
              > Norman

            • Mike Russell
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 8, 2008
                > From: topart
                > Yes, you need replace 990's internal battery. it's tablet size and
                > soldered to main board. Actually, if you have not skills to open the
                > camera and soldering PCB better to bring it service center.

                > Vladimir

                I've read that this is a difficult procedure. If you (or anyone reading
                this) has done it, I'd be interetested. My two 990's are working OK, but
                the day seems to be coming when I'll need to replace the batteries. Having
                a service center do it is probably going to cost more than I want to spend.

                Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
              • NormanS
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2008
                  The skills to do it I have, thanks.

                  Do you have the specs and source for the replacement battery?
                  Do you know if this battery was surface mounted or hand soldered?
                  Have you (or anyone else on this list) actually done this repair?
                  Any references online for doing this?

                  I am psyched to do it, and will report back to this list when I do

                  Thanking anyone who can respond in advance,
                  Norman