download picture to the computer problem

  • Jim (JB) Reardon
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2007
      I have been having problems downloading pictures from my 990. I use
      the EH-31 AC power Adaptor to make sure I have reliable power for
      the approximate 15 min download. I connect the USB cable and the
      download process starts. I see file by file being transferred and
      then the process stops before all the pictures have been
      transferred. As far as I can determine there is nothing wrong with
      the camera, connections or computer. This has been going on the last
      two times I downloaded the camera. I am using a 256 mb card. I like
      to completely fill the memory card. I do this to reduce wear and
      tear on the connectors, doors and the switch. The memory card is
      completely full with 258 images.
      I am using Nikon View 6 which includes:

      Nikon View Installer 6.2.5
      NkvMon.exe : 6.2.5.3004
      NkvAcqu.exe : 6.2.5.3004
      NkvBrows.exe : 6.2.5.3004
      NkvView.exe : 6.2.5.3004
      NkvALang.dll : 6.2.5.3000
      NkvBLang.dll : 6.2.5.3000
      NkvVLang.dll : 6.2.5.3000
      Strato4.dll : 4.1.0.3003
      StdFilters4.dll : 4.0.1.3000
      CML6.dll : 6.1.0.3000
      Asteroid6.dll : 6.1.1.3003
      Zelkova3.dll : 3.1.1.3002
      NEFLibrary3.dll : 3.1.1.3004
      NkRotateLib3.dll : 3.1.1.3003
      NkIPTC2.dll : 2.1.0.3002
      NikonPrint.dll : 1.5.3.3000
      NkServClient.dll : 1.4.0.3009
      NkSSLib.dll : 1.0.0.3010
      NkBrowseLib4.dll : 4.2.1.3004
      NikonMail2.dll : 1.2.0.3004
      NkvHTML.dll : 1.2.0.3008

      I start the download process and pauses after some number of files
      and then it seems to time out. The message says `Contents in memory
      card has been changed or the Memory card has been removed. Exiting
      from program. OK'

      I hate after a failure the computer says `OK', NO It's NOT OK.

      I check the processes in Task Manager and NKVMON.EXE is using 99% of
      CPU.

      I am persistent so I keep running the download procedure.
      The Following is the attempt number and size of file download prior
      to failure data in memory is 245mb.
      1 14 mb
      2 136 mb
      3 128 mb
      4 5 mb
      5 98 mb
      6 234 mb
      7 94 mb
      8 1 mb
      9 72 mb
      10 117 mb
      11 98 mb
      12 84 mb
      13 12 mb
      14 20 mb
      15 152 mb
      16 244 mb Finally download successfully and Nikon Brower starts
      up. All the pictures are there.

      As you can see there does not appear to be a pattern. Between
      attempts I tried different computer environments. For example
      rebooted, closed all applications, turned off anti-virus programs
      and etc. Any idea of what is going on here?

      Jim
    • Jan Guthrie
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2007
        Jim,
        Someone might be able to help you here, but ....

        I believe that most of us don't use NikonView. We bought the very
        inexpensive card readers that you attach to the computer with USB and
        take the card out of the camera to transfer images.

        That is what I recommend.

        That way the card just shows up as another drive on your computer and
        you can see all the files on the card, and move them wherever you want.

        Jan

      • Larry Bolch
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2007
          Quoting "Jim (JB) Reardon" <jbreardon@...>:

          > I have been having problems downloading pictures from my 990. I use

          My opinion of Nikon's bundled software is at best it is on par with the average
          virus. However, for the most part, viruses do what they are supposed to do. I
          bought an new Nikon last week, and the first thing I did *not* do was to install
          the software.

          Card readers are incredibly inexpensive now, and make transfers quick and easy.
          Furthermore, you will have access to your images anytime you go shooting. No
          need to fill the card. Cards with USB2.0 interfaces are as inexpensive as $10US,
          and they will read the card as quickly as it can respond.

          Back up your images, put the card back in the camera and format it, and you are
          ready to shoot again. Formating in camera each time IS important. Cards - like
          hard-drives - can become fragmented. A format puts the card into exactly what
          the camera wants to see. A fragmented card may be at the root of your current
          problem, if you don't make reformatting a habit.

          Any file management software will handle the transfer - even Windows Explorer. I
          use the extremely capable Directory Opus for Windows, that lets me have two
          listers side by side, making transfers one click easy.

          larry!
          http://www.larry-bolch.com/
        • Paul R Horton ADipJA
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2007
            G'day Jim

            In my humble opinion it appears you might have a bad sector on your
            card. This is what I do, always;

            I always format the Compact Flash Card in the camera - no exceptions;
            I only delete from the card in camera;
            I never let the card get full, with one or two exceptions when I got an
            early warning;
            I will download anything from 1 to 700 images at a time;
            I use Nikon View the same as you do and had no problems - despite some
            people not liking the interface;

            The only other suggestion I could make is if you have other processes
            running simultanesously you may encounter a temporary memory problem -
            but I would reckon on a crook bit or a byte.

            Paul R Horton ADipJA
            OZ Downunder
            Wandering Photographer
            www.paulhortonphotography.net

            Jim (JB) Reardon wrote:

> [...]
            > 2 136 mb
            > 3 128 mb
            > 4 5 mb
            > 5 98 mb
            > 6 234 mb
            > 7 94 mb
            > 8 1 mb
            > 9 72 mb
            > 10 117 mb
            > 11 98 mb
            > 12 84 mb
            > 13 12 mb
            > 14 20 mb
            > 15 152 mb
            > 16 244 mb Finally download successfully and Nikon Brower starts
            > up. All the pictures are there.
            >
            > As you can see there does not appear to be a pattern. Between
            > attempts I tried different computer environments. For example
            > rebooted, closed all applications, turned off anti-virus programs
            > and etc. Any idea of what is going on here?

          • Mike Russell
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2007
              Jan,

              I second what others have said re using a card reader to access your images.
              I do use NikonView to transfer the files, since I like the fact that it will
              create a new folder with the date, and rename the files with date and time.

              You may find that your images transfer fine with a card reader, so I'd
              recommend that as a first step. If you're using a notebook, go with a
              PCMCIA card adapter,to save space and for max performance. If you still get
              errors, use a data recovery program to get your images. There are any
              number of them out there. I've had good luck
              wth PhotoRescue. The demo version will save an image of your drive and let
              you know which images it can recover before you decide whether to buy or
              not. http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

              Re saving wear and tear on the pins - I attach a doubled up piece of
              electrical tape to each of my CF cards. This allows me to pull the card out
              without using the push button on the camera or the adapter.

              Mike Russell
              www.curvemeister.com/forum/
            • mwtdvm
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2007
                I haven't used Nikon's program for years. It is interesting that it
                is taking so long to download these images. And the CPU has 99%
                useage. IIRC, When I tried to use Nikonview, things started out OK,
                but some time down the road, I got an error message that the memory
                was "full", or something like that> I had to reboot. I wonder if you
                have a variant of my problem. As others have said, get a card reader
                and see what happens.
                BTW, can you do a "scan disk" on a card to find bad sectors?
                Just my $.02 :-)