H.D.R. with the 990?

  • John Favaro
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2006
      I just read the New York Times article on the rising popularity of High
      Dynamic Range (H.D.R.). As usual, I didn't even know anything about it. But
      I have Photoshop CS and am curious about giving it a try.

      But my camera is still the good old 990. After reading all the caveats about
      doing H.D.R. (and not understanding it 100%) I thought I'd at least ask the
      opinion of the experts of how much chance I would have of pulling off H.D.R.
      with the 990, given its technical characteristics, and how you would go
      about doing it with the 990.

      Thanks for any insights,

      John
    • Chris Broadhurst Family
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2006
        Hi John, have used the technique with my 990.

        This url http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/DynamicRanger.html gave me
        the clue on a way to do it. I must say that I am not overly impressed - I
        used a +/- 2ev range and the resultant image was a bit too flat. But I find
        the idea excellent and often combine 2 exposures to bring out the detail in
        dark areas.

        Much more exciting (for macro work) is
        http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZ5/combinez5.htm which with the
        990 already excellent depth of field makes fantastic pictures.

        Have fun.

        Regards
        Chris
        > I just read the New York Times article on the rising popularity of High
        > Dynamic Range (H.D.R.). As usual, I didn't even know anything about it.
        But
        > I have Photoshop CS and am curious about giving it a try.
        >
        > But my camera is still the good old 990. After reading all the caveats
        about
        > doing H.D.R. (and not understanding it 100%) I thought I'd at least ask
        the
        > opinion of the experts of how much chance I would have of pulling off
        H.D.R.
        > with the 990, given its technical characteristics, and how you would go
        > about doing it with the 990.
        >
        > Thanks for any insights,
        >
        > John
        >

        > To unsubscribe send an email to:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Favaro
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2006
          Many thanks, Chris! These URLs will help get me going in the right
          direction.

          John