Is anybody there?

  • Chris Broadhurst Family
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31 5:00 AM
      Hi,
      I have not had any messages this year - have I been removed from the list?
      Regards
      Chris

    • Paul Berndt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31 5:11 AM
        Chris,

        The list is working. I think the 990 may be passing into history since
        many people have moved on to new cameras. I still have my 990 but don't
        use it, I now have a CP 8400 & Panasonic FZ20. If you have questions,
        post them.

        Paul

        Chris Broadhurst Family wrote:

        >Hi,
        >I have not had any messages this year - have I been removed from the list?
        >Regards
        >Chris

        >To unsubscribe send an email to:
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Chris Broadhurst Family
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31 5:27 AM
          Thanks - I have 2 990s, just in case one fails! I also have a D70, but for macro work the 990 wins!
          I think is was Nikons best designed camera and they still seem to be selling well on Ebay.
          Regards
          Chris
          The list is working. I think the 990 may be passing into history since
          many people have moved on to new cameras. I still have my 990 but don't
          use it, I now have a CP 8400 & Panasonic FZ20. If you have questions,
          post them.

          Paul

          Chris Broadhurst Family wrote:

          >Hi,
          >I have not had any messages this year - have I been removed from the list?
          >Regards
          >Chris

          >To unsubscribe send an email to:
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          To unsubscribe send an email to:

          Nikon coolpix 990 digital camera

        • Paul Berndt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31 7:23 AM
            Chris,

            I agree with both points. The swivel body is really handy and even the
            8400 with the swivel LCD isn't as flexible as the swivel body.

            Paul

            Chris Broadhurst Family wrote:

            >Thanks - I have 2 990s, just in case one fails! I also have a D70, but for macro work the 990 wins!
            >I think is was Nikons best designed camera and they still seem to be selling well on Ebay.
            >Regards
            >Chris

          • Clark Guy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31 12:14 PM
              HI, Chris!

              I'm still here, shooting with my 950 while my wife has the 990. I like my
              950, but desire higher resolution and faster operation.

              That said, the 950 is still considered to be one of the best InfraRed
              sensitive cameras out there without modification. Perhaps when I get a
              newer general purpose digital camera, I'll disassemble my 950 to take out
              the IR blocking filter and get some high speed IR pictures.

              I hope to continue as a 950/990 user for some time to come!

              Guy Clark

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31 2:37 PM
                Chris Broadhurst Family wrote:
                > Hi,
                > I have not had any messages this year - have I been removed from the
                > list? Regards

                Well, from the subject line, we can assume you saw at least one. You can
                check the members list if you have doubts about your status.

                While there were 785 messages in June 2001, there was only one in July 2005.
                November saw 16 and December saw only 11. I expect that most of the
                questions about the CP990 have been asked and answered. A couple generations
                have succeeded it, the 5000 series and the 8000 series. I fully expect a new
                series to be announced during February.

                It was a classsic camera, but in every way its successors have built upon
                the foundation it laid and far exceeded it. When I need to use one of my
                CP990 shots in a print, slide-show or on the web, I long to go back and
                reshoot with contemporary equipment. I will feel the same about the shoots I
                am doing now, five years down the road as well.

                There were venues where I frequently shot with the CP990, where it was
                impossible to get a proper white balance. One classroom with really cheap
                fluorescents, for example. One evening when I was shooting there, I brought
                a calibrated 18% grey card and managed to get a perfect white balance on
                every white, black or grey in the room. Skin tones were terrible! Shooting
                under the same lights now with the CP8400, neutrals are neutral and skin
                tones are right on. Shooting with the CP990 in a pizza joint lit mostly with
                neon was a disaster. The CP8400 handles it with ease.
                http://www.larry-bolch.com/CP8400/

                Shortly after getting the CP990, I went to COMDEX in Las Vegas. Loads of
                great stuff to shoot in the faux-Paris streets of the Paris Las Vegas hotel,
                the canals in the Venetial and the North African styled Desert Passage in
                the Aladdin. The results were as good as it got back then, but there was
                absolutely no way the CP990 could deal with the mix of light sources and the
                extreme contrast range.

                A few months ago, I had the opportunity and time to return with the CP8400,
                and this time I nailed it. To some extent it was the result of half-a-dozen
                years of digital photography and image processing, but the raw material was
                simply more flexible. Perhaps that should be RAW material, which is a huge
                improvement over the Fine JPEGs originally shot in these venues.
                http://www.larry-bolch.com/las-vegas/

                The CP8400 is not a perfect camera - no such beast exists. Sony simply
                crammed too many pixels into the 2/3" sensor limiting its sensitivity
                through noise. Now I see 8MP P&S cameras hitting the market with 1/1.8"
                sensors and shudder a little. Quality is magnificent at ISO50 and still
                usable at its maximum ISO400. Forget ISO1600 or ISO3200. Other than that,
                there is nothing else not to like. Hopefully, the next series will use the
                new Sony 10.2MP CMOS sensor, which is more than five times the surface area.

                If nothing else is significantly compromised, I expect that I will buy. The
                CP8400 has long since paid for itself, as did the CP5k and CP990 before it.

                larry!
                http://www.larry-bolch.com/
                ICQ 76620504