Urgent help: CP4500

  • melissachambers
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005
      We just got a call from our best friends in the UK who are packing
      up to take their family on a once in a lifetime vacation in Egypt.
      Their CP 4500 has been taking brilliant photos through the last time
      their used it last week. But this evening (their time) it is only
      taking black frames. (Yes, the lens cap is off). Here are some
      diagnostic details:

      Long exposures produce dark frames with more noise than short
      exposures (which means that the camera computer is still really
      reading the sensor).

      The camera is asking for flash even in full sunlight which means (we
      assume) that light isn't getting to the sensor.

      The display works (ie, past photos can be browsed from the camera).

      Our guess is that there is some sort of iris that controls light
      access to the sensor and that this is stuck closed.

      They leave in the early AM tomorrow, so there is no chance of a shop
      repair. In addition, since they are in Cambridge, there's no place
      they can even buy another camera on a Sunday night.

      We've tried factory resets and extended time without batteries.

      Questions:

      As anyone seen a problem remotely like this on the 4500 or any other
      camera; if so, what was the issue? What fixed it.

      Has anyone run across a means of causing the camera to do a self-
      diagnostic that would exercise the light exposure system.

      Any other idea, no matter how offbeat or extreme, that we could pass
      along?

      Thanks in advance!!!

      mc
    • Mike Russell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005
        melissachambers wrote:
        > We just got a call from our best friends in the UK who are packing
        > up to take their family on a once in a lifetime vacation in Egypt.
        > Their CP 4500 has been taking brilliant photos through the last time
        > their used it last week. But this evening (their time) it is only
        > taking black frames. (Yes, the lens cap is off). Here are some
        > diagnostic details:
        >
        > Long exposures produce dark frames with more noise than short
        > exposures (which means that the camera computer is still really
        > reading the sensor).
        >
        > The camera is asking for flash even in full sunlight which means (we
        > assume) that light isn't getting to the sensor.
        >
        > The display works (ie, past photos can be browsed from the camera).
        >
        > Our guess is that there is some sort of iris that controls light
        > access to the sensor and that this is stuck closed.
        >
        > They leave in the early AM tomorrow, so there is no chance of a shop
        > repair. In addition, since they are in Cambridge, there's no place
        > they can even buy another camera on a Sunday night.
        >
        > We've tried factory resets and extended time without batteries.
        >

        > Questions:
        >
        > As anyone seen a problem remotely like this on the 4500 or any other
        > camera; if so, what was the issue? What fixed it.
        >
        > Has anyone run across a means of causing the camera to do a self-
        > diagnostic that would exercise the light exposure system.
        >
        > Any other idea, no matter how offbeat or extreme, that we could pass
        > along?
        >
        > Thanks in advance!!!

        Hi Melissa,

        The symptoms you describe are consistent with a jammed shutter. IMHO there
        is not much to be done about it except to take the camera to Egypt and hope
        that the change in temperature loosens things up. A tap or two might free
        up the shutter mechanism, but I would wait until arrival to see if this has
        any effect.

        Best of luck to your friends. Duty free, of course, will have cameras,
        although at a premium price. Hopefully someone else will have more
        suggestions.

        Mike Russell
        www.curvemeister.com
      • David J Taylor
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005
          Mike Russell wrote:
          []
          > Best of luck to your friends. Duty free, of course, will have
          > cameras, although at a premium price. Hopefully someone else will
          > have more suggestions.
          >
          > Mike Russell

          I know it's too late now, but I do agree with Mike. Take the old camera,
          but get another at duty free. The CP 4500 is getting quite old now, so
          perhaps it's done them a favour in failing /before/ they go rather than
          while they were there. All that sand in Egypt won't help, either. In the
          worst case, if the camera doesn't work and they don't buy a new one at
          least: (a) they can enjoy a photography free holiday for a change and (b)
          they don't need to worry about the camera being stolen.

          They should have a great time in Egypt - we were then when Sadat was shot,
          so our visit became a little unusual - one coach driver took us to see
          where Sadat was shot, and I have photographs of the bullet holes in the
          wall.....

          Cheers,
          David