Battery charger query

  • Nick Keck
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5 3:29 PM
      I'm planning a trip to Italy and wonder if I need merely to buy an
      adapter to allow my US plug to fit in an Italian electrical outlet (going
      from flat to round prongs) in order to charge the battery for my CoolPix 4500.

      --
      Nick

      Music is the only language in which you cannot say
      a mean or sarcastic thing.
      --John Erskinealk
    • Mike Russell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5 3:48 PM
        Nick Keck wrote:
        > I'm planning a trip to Italy and wonder if I need merely to buy an
        > adapter to allow my US plug to fit in an Italian electrical outlet
        > (going from flat to round prongs) in order to charge the battery for
        > my CoolPix 4500.

        If your supply is dual voltage, 110-220, then the answer is yes.

        If not, I'd recommend getting a different power adapter to run your charger.
        Second choice is a separate converter - it will need to put out enough
        current to run the charger, typically 1500 ma or more.

        Mike Russell
        www.curvemeister.com
        www.geigy.2y.net
      • Calvin Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5 11:24 PM
          Hi Nick,

          Most of Europe -- including Italy, I believe -- operates on a 220v/240v
          supply. As long as your charger can handle dual voltage it should be fine.

          If I recal correctly doesn't the CP4500 use the EN-EL1 type battery. If so
          it's the same as my CP5700 -- which means the charger you got with the with
          the camera is likely to be the same as mine, which works fine on the 240v
          supply here in Ireland. Double check the specification plate on your
          charger, but you should have no problem.

          Another suggestion for you: on my charger the power lead is one of those
          universal types that plugs into the backs of portable stereos, radios etc.
          If yours is the same you might find it more convenient (and perhaps a tad
          cheaper) to pick up a spare cable (you may even have one lying around), then
          just replace the plug with a local one when you arrive at your destination.
          Saves a lot of messing about with adapters.

          Cheers,

          Calvin!
          --
          Calvin Jones

          http://www.cjwriting.com -- Commercial writing

          http://www.nivlac.net -- Creative writing

          I'm planning a trip to Italy and wonder if I need merely to buy an adapter
          to allow my US plug to fit in an Italian electrical outlet (going from flat
          to round prongs) in order to charge the battery for my CoolPix 4500.

          --
          Nick

          Music is the only language in which you cannot say
          a mean or sarcastic thing.
          --John Erskinealk

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James Dyer
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6 5:45 PM
            When my son was in Iraq I went to radio Shack and bought a converter for
            him. He used it for a dvd player and video game among other things. $20.00
            price range. Multitasking for middle east and english settings as I recall.
            Sent him three and never had a complaint. He's been back for a year so we
            sleep easier. Jim
            > I'm planning a trip to Italy and wonder if I need merely to buy an
            > adapter to allow my US plug to fit in an Italian electrical outlet (going
            > from flat to round prongs) in order to charge the battery for my CoolPix
            4500.

            > --
            > Nick
            >
            > Music is the only language in which you cannot say
            > a mean or sarcastic thing.
            > --John Erskinealk
            >

            > To unsubscribe send an email to:
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lloyd Hayes
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9 3:24 PM
              --- In coolpix990@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Keck" <nkeck@m...> wrote:
              > I'm planning a trip to Italy and wonder if I need merely to buy an
              > adapter to allow my US plug to fit in an Italian electrical outlet
              (going
              > from flat to round prongs) in order to charge the battery for my
              CoolPix 4500.

              > --
              > Nick
              >
              > Music is the only language in which you cannot say
              > a mean or sarcastic thing.
              > --John Erskinealk

              In a single answer, "YES."

              I bought my daugters Nikon 2500 cameras w/chargers while they were
              here one Christmas a few years ago. They live in the Netherlands. They
              simply use the charger with the plug adapter. It says on the charger
              that it is 110-240 volt compliant. Eurpoean voltage is 220 volt. I
              think that I remember the 2500 with a rechargeable battery built-in.
              (I would have to ask them to be sure about the built-in battery.)

              As for the plug, most of Europe uses the same plug. I'm not sure, but
              I think that France and a couple of other countries may use a
              different plug. You'll probably have to check with someone else about
              Italy. There are kits that you can buy which has every plug in the
              world in it.